Afterlives: Revendreth

I hope the graphics are better in SL than they are in the video. I feel like I just watched a cheap, Animi cartoon.

Well for starters this was a painted animatic and not… in-engine gameplay graphics.

Second, this animation prologue/insight/backstory stuff has been around since Mists of Pandaria. Burdens of Shaohao and everything. Lords of War. Harbingers. Warbringers. Now we’ve got Afterlives. It’s not cheap “animi”, it’s some really artistic animatics.

17 Likes

Denathrius did nothing wrong.

1 Like

they would actually write this so i don’t find it funny i find it horrifying

2 Likes

So was the Troll soul supposed to be Zul?

Regardless, I’ll be the one to say it.

This one was ridiculously stupid. Painfully generic “We all must make sacrifices” declaration while the Nobility party it up and the Common Man suffers under the regime.

This is like basic Gothic Fantasy 101 here. And I’m sorry but after 15 years, I expect more from the storytelling than “Baby’s First Edgy D&D Campagin”.

3 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/dESJvOW.png

2 Likes

I may be the only one who liked this cinematic more than the others

6 Likes

Can’t help but feel like this is just the Nightborne story with vampires and anima instead of elves and arcwine. I’ll reserve judgment until I play through the zone but that’s my first impression.

5 Likes

I liked it alot. Made me chuckle a few times.

Nah I really liked it as well, but I won’t fault folks for disliking it due to Suramar parallels. It’s a fair critique.

Posh smug vampy dude was dope. He also gives me heavy Nethrezim vibes and I am ALL ABOUT my Dreadlords.

1 Like

I’m just hoping the dreadlord angle pays off. I’m fine with something similar to Suramar as a frame story as long as there’s something to spice it up.

3 Likes

Feels good to be excited for a story.

2 Likes

The upper class hogging all the resources and the lower suffers and is oppressed. Art imitating life…well time to riot!

Also, is it too late to hope the Horde gets Garrosh back? Anything to help make the Horde look like it has a spine to stand on.

3 Likes

I mean in fairness, the Nightborne were just a redux of blood elves with the addition of an open rebellion because the leader submitting to the enemy was in outland.

From what I’ve been playing on beta, there’s a bit more to differentiate it just like when Surumar was introduced and people were comparing it to the various Silvermoon quests about mana addiction and succumbing.

Nah, I’m with you on this one, fam. “Basic” as some may see it, it’s well constructed and solid, despite not taking enormous leaps of storytelling. It’s certainly not doing anything offensive by being a tried and true formula, the atmosphere is lovely, it was nice seeing Garrosh again, and Sire Denathrias awakens things in me that I was not aware were ther–I mean… ahem. He can narrate my life.

4 Likes

Whether or not I give this one a pass relies entirely on if Garrosh’s appearance is just fluff or if it’s going to be an actual plotpoint. Redeeming or rescuing him will make this animatic a failure in my eyes, while having him actually stick through his punishment will make it a success.

2 Likes

Hold up.

Room for two?

Edit:

I can see it now.
Evil person: You can’t save him, hero, he’s beyond redemption.
Hero: Yeah, we know, can you zap him again?
EP: Wha-
Hero: Zap him again.

2 Likes

Like it isn’t even Garrosh specifically at this point; I’m just starved for villains that actually suffer meaningful consequences.

If Garrosh literally never submitted, it would make him an infinitely cooler character and it would make everything surrounding the situation better as well.

6 Likes

Please let us zap Garrosh a few times. For fun. And also science.

3 Likes

this is why im so scared that a part of the shadowlands story will be:

HEROES it looks like ARTHAS HAS BEEN SENT TO THE MAW UNJUSTLY. yes, he may have been omnicidial - damning many into undeath in his lust for power - but we must rescue him!!! oh boy!!! good judgement arbiter, sending him to the kyurians was a good choice!!! now he’s a good boy!!!

HEROES it looks like GARROSH has been sent to REVENDRETH UNJUSTLY. yes, he may have been a racist monster, but he’s a hellscream so we are contractually obligated to lick his boots. looks like sending him over to the necrolords really worked, now he’s a good boy who did no wrong, right theramore-citizen-used-as-target-practice-#6?

etc etc etc

3 Likes

this is correct

2 Likes