Affliction needs help

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/32

Yes affliction is clearly popping off in keys. I just ask both you to know what you are talking about before you post.

My man, you wrote a dissertation on the dark arts! :raised_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Everyone complains about MR. I personally think it fits in the spec.

Possible fix to remove MR
Take out DeathGlare or Soul Rot and replace it with a talent/s that removes MR but speeds up the rate dots deal dmg and and a talent that increases the dmg to a single target if the dots are only on one target and lets us be purely dots with DS then it would make M+ in my opinion better. that would solve the ramp of them and get rid of MR for M+. This would allow ST to be there at the same time

It doesn’t just because it does instant damage. SoC is the same, though it’s technically a DoT that does 0 damage over 15 seconds but it is still technically a DoT. Nonetheless, I don’t think even it belongs in the spec.

For Affliction, I think you need only drains and DoTs, no direct damage component is necessary. No more than 3 regular DoTs and the channel filler Drain Soul is even necessary, as for mythic+ that ends up becoming too much bloat with GCDs and then including the ramp that DoTs are, it’s too much for how quick paced mythic+ is.

My belief and thing for Affliction is this: in lower and mid keys, it’s terrible and it’s fine being that way imo. Does this suck for most of the playerbase? Yes, it absolutely does, however, I think DoT specs should not be good or decent in lower keys where burst is everything.

I think they should scale key levels 15+ to a much higher degree where it takes about a minute for trash packs to die. Not a popular opinion, not even remotely close to 2% of the population will like this idea. I don’t care whether people like this idea or not, don’t give 2 craps. I care about what actually fits and what makes more sense, not who’s opinion or belief system is better.

Damage over Time is basically investing in stocks. You’re not due immediately for good wealth. You take time to invest, and it matures over 1-5 decades, not over a single year.

This is comparing burst vs Damage over Time. Damage over Time should, in large, be much much higher but it’s over a period of time compared to burst that is high damage instantly, but less damage compared to DoTs, or that’s how I would design the game, anyway.

This makes DoT specs favored for raiding where boss fights are like 5 minutes or 10 minutes long compared to mythic+ where trash packs are, generally speaking, no longer than 45 seconds tops but usually like less than 30 second fights.

This makes DoT specs, below certain key levels, bad for the groups but great for high keys. Makes them great for progression raiding but bad for farm. I think that is a perfectly fine trade off, imo.

Affliction just needs to make sense, MR doesn’t. Rapid Contagion would make more sense as a shard spender since your DoTs do the damage over MR itself.

No, it’s not a chart factor, it’s a numbers factor. If I press MR I see MR’s damage. If they made MR force all DoTs to tick 1-2 extra times so MR itself did no damage but it forced all DoTs out to tick 1-2 extra times each time you pressed it it would make so much more sense then and be liked much better. It doesn’t and it’s not.

IMO it does fit. Writing an essay about the same thing all over the forums won’t make it come true. getting old seeing the same thing over and over. nothing new to discuss.

Also MR is a filler to make it feel like your actively doing something. other than clicking buttons on a set refresh timer for maximum dmg or channeling DS.

Even if you do remove MR you have to major updating of the spec because on average its 17.5% of a Afflictions ST dmg. So we need something to fill in now. So the underlying problem stays that the spec needs a filler and something to compensate for the damage lose that the ability does.

1 Like

No, you actually don’t. You guys, yourselves, are the ones who need stuff to do. The spec, itself, does not need it. This is why I keep saying the spec should go back to being a very simple spec like it was in Legion. You put DoTs up, channel. Nothing else actually literally needs to be done.

People are the ones who need other things to do and to be honest, no the spec doesn’t need anything else. Do you know why Bear is so good to play? It’s a very simple tank, the literal easiest and simplest tank and has been. Yes, very skilled players playing the spec say it’s too boring, but the rest don’t care that it’s boring. It’s not meant to be some complicated tank, and that’s the same thing for Affliction. It shouldn’t be some complicated or convoluted spec designed around top players. Dots are a very very niche style of gameplay and the specs that do DoTs should be extra simple.

I say the same thing for Shadow Priests, too, because they’re basically Affliction Locks most expansions, just without a pet or the added survivability/mobility that Warlocks have.

They can literally put that damage into the DoTs, themselves.

That’s why I said before in other posts, too, even, that DoTs should do higher damage than all other things because they’re doing it over time, not all at once like how burst specs are. DoT specs should not have burst, you bring them for high sustained boss damage, that’s it. You bring burst specs for adds that need to die asap, you bring DoT specs and ST specs for boss damage. That’s how you build raid teams. The more higher health targets there are the better they do.

Some bosses you’d have them sit, that’s fine. I see literally nothing wrong with sitting people in mythic raiding during hard prog. Like 5-6 months into the tier you won’t need or shouldn’t need to sit people because the raid will have been nerfed so many times by then it should be fine.

Nonetheless, during the first month or 2 of the raid being out it’s fine to sit people then. It’s fine to sit any spec that doesn’t fit the boss encounter profile you need. I know it sucks for that person, but oh well, that’s mythic raiding.

You are the worst

The game is designed around top players because they have a greater understanding around the game. Also if they designed the game around the average to semi average the game would hit rock bottom faster than a 300 ton rock sinking in the ocean.

1 Like

It would not actually. It would be better. Do you know why it would be better? Because since it would be easier to play and easier to do things, more alt friendly, etc. There would be far more people playing the game than now.

Half the reason we got things being more “alt friendly” is not because of top players, it is because more casuals play the game, a lot of them play this game literally just to level characters, get some gear, n call it a day going to the next toon.

If they designed it more casual friendly you’d see mythic raid becoming more casual friendly, too, meaning you’d have more players attempting to do mythic raiding and participating in it so you’d have a bigger pool of players coming in to raid over what you have now.

2 Likes

I know the likelihood is slim to none, but a design shift from a forced MR play style to a choice mode of MR, or Rapid Contagion would be great for build diversity. People who want to do up front damage would have an outlet as well as people who would like more rot damage. Playing last night I was thinking of just how fun a RC build would be in comparison to what we have currently.

I guess I still pine for the days of malefic grasp, and DoT snapshotting. The mechanic made affliction buff, and debuff juggling way more interesting. With a good iteration of Soul Swap brought back it could be great for the affliction theme in comparison to the current direct burst damage theme we are locked into at the moment. Take a page out of the Unholy playbook, allow us to maximize our rot damage. Please!

3 Likes

You are missing the point of Mythic raiding, complex builds… we like to do them because they are hard and challenging… not because everyone can do it. Favoring the casual will drive players who love the challenge away because then its to easy… so just stop./

In what world are you living in where you think this is even remotely accurate?

Liquid Max has even stated multiple times on his stream that desiging the game around TOP players is horrible.

Also lol this is a meme

Blizzard has went through GREAT lengths over the years to contradict this statement. Nothing in this game is complex regarding class design anymore.

2 Likes

If they designed it more casual friendly you’d see mythic raid becoming more casual friendly, too, meaning you’d have more players attempting to do mythic raiding and participating in it so you’d have a bigger pool of players coming in to raid over what you have now.

This game is extremely casual friendly as it is. LFR, Normal and heroic raiding exists. Non-rated pvp exists. Solo shuffle, while it currently has problems, is a big deal for casual players. Mythic dungeons scale infinitely allowing players to play keystone levels they are comfortable with. Alt friendliness is at an all-time high.

Why would you want the most difficult content to be more casual friendly? They should just remove everything but normal dungeons and raids if that’s what you implying. Difficulty levels are inherent to gaming.

2 Likes

I have my own opinions about everything. Same as a top player. But in this world if you design around the average the game will suffer far harder than a top player build…

Basic reason is the the skill level of average can’t actually bring out the specs to their potential which leads to buffs/nerfs to stuff that could be balanced. Top players know more about the game than an average and can test everything correctly compared to them as well. there’s a reason MOST games rely on the 95th+ players to get a meta build, find balancing issues, and to figure out general level of challenge needed to push players.

In what world are you living in where you think this is even remotely accurate?

Spec balance is absolutely done around the top end of each spec, meaning those top players i think Ragnorok is referring too. Balancing around average players throughput would be a major problem and the disparity between top and bottom specs would be even greater than it already is

The game is designed around top players because they have a greater understanding around the game.

Raiding is balanced to different types of players. Mythic raiding is balanced around those people that can utilize their spec to it’s highest potential. They tweak numbers and mechanics for each difficulty level to fit the playerbase for that content.

1 Like

You don’t even need to nerf mythic raid content to make it more “casual accessible.” The big deterrence currently is the weekly lockout ID. I know why its there but its not a good reason in todays version of the game. Get rid of it.

Thank god that is not how Blizzard is actually designing this game. You do you with your wild opinions.

Wrong. Blizzard has stated several times in interviews they do sims on their end which is why things get absurd nerfs for seemingly no reason.

Both of you have no clue what you are talking about.

I agree. Accessibility is the concern so if that is what the poster was referring to, there are big improvements to be made there.

Why are you so aggressive. They clearly balance classes around how they compare to others at the high end.

1 Like

They’ve made the content more accessible since it was added as a difficulty in MoP but the biggest complaint has always been the lockout ID and its mostly there to prevent a handful of WFR from getting gear too quickly. Blizzard can very easily solve this by removing the lockout ID a couple of weeks after the content opens as a band-aid fix.

Cross Realm wasn’t added until the end of WoD in HFC and now we have cross faction in 9.2.

They are slowly making things more accessible I just hope the lockout ID is next to be axed.