Affliction needs help

My point is the ST gain is minimal to all the other glaring issues the spec has in m+.

10.0.5 with FM on top of tuesdays hotfix will be enough that MR becomes a viable AoE spender. Throw Doom Blossom into it and you have a decent chunk of AoE for going mostly ST capstones.

The buffs on Tuesday were primarily target for raid but the changes in 10.0.5 are addressing some glaring problems with afflictions spec tree.

This is my problem currently. I can’t decide between the two. I guess warlock can always default to demo but I’ve been playing demo since season 1 SL. I would kill to be able to play Aff and not have people think I’m meme’ing them. And shadow just lacks the survivability of a warlock (excluding PVP). Its all a mess for me lol

Affliction doesn’t need help. It needs a defibrillator.

5 Likes

More like how does it fits the game at all. Blizzard seems to be determined to not make dots class op on council fights. The problem is if it’s not op on council fight then it will **** major *** at everything else. Basically just erase the spec and add a healer spec to lock where we splash blood all over the place to heal people.

I love how in the current iteration of the game affliction struggle to dominate council fights and destruction struggle to dominate two targets cleave fight while both spec are designed around dominating such content. If they can’t dominate other classes in such content then there’s no hope for those spec outside of aoe niche but why would you waste your time when you can just spec demono?

2 Likes

I got called F tier today, and I am doing my rotation nearly perfectly. The dps is just crap. It is punishment when you consider how much work it is.

I want to play affliction, I don’t want to play something else. I pugged a heroic and survived all mechanics, but just don’t have enough dps to compete. We have warriors/rogues doing 50-70k dps and I can’t get past 25k-30k. It’s stupid, and our AOE isn’t any good either.

Malefic rapture, ha. Not only does it do mediocre dps, but it’s this weird filler, that also doesn’t have any kind of visual effect. It’s just a sound effect, how lame is that? What do you see on the boss when you cast malefic rapture? – and I’m being serious, please tell me if you have insights.

7 Likes

This is my issue right now. It’s absolutely wild how far ahead demo is over the other two specs in pretty much everything.

It’s the exact same issue with Arcane vs Fire and Frost mage.

Seeing all 3 rogue specs at the top while all the other pure dps specs are pretty much told to “Run the meta spec or be benched” is terrible and people will quit the game over this.

3 Likes

lol yeah this is true, for a finisher that is suppose to blow up all your DoTs its FX looks rather weak when you zoom in… from afar you just got to trust the numbers pop up and sound to know they hit.

I do think some of the older FX and Dots needs to be taken a look at…at the very least an visual update to be sure… man, I wish Rupture could trigger some reaction after finish to do justice to the cool sound it makes.

Anyway yeah the FX is not even noticeable if not for the sound and numbers lol
:sweat_smile:

dont think its reasonable to see anything more than tuning in a .0.5 patch. The tuning was appropriate because while its not a more permanent fix, it does help them in M+ where they need it most, ST. The buff will be noticable for ST but its not gonna fix the core issues. Its the same with shadow and almost every spec that got buffed this patch.

Saying its noticeable in keys in just flat out incorrect.

Plugging the buff into sims its literally only 400 overall dps in keys if you are running the AoE build. So pretty much nothing.

Warlock discord is saying the same thing. This is a drop in the ocean in terms of the closing the gap between demo.

1 Like

I see my shards go down, and a small number flash on the name plate.

4 Likes

i dunno how 6.1% buff to ST is not noticeable but okay. Ive seen ppl change talents for less of an increase despite worse gameplay.

It’s not 6.1% ST in keys. Not even close because its a buff to MR and Drain Soul which you are barely pressing to begin with in keys outside of bosses and even on a lot of those you aren’t lol. The other buff is to PI which I hope you weren’t running in keys.

1 Like

Some suggestions:

• Unstable Affliction is now a baseline spell for affliction specialization.
  • Removed CD for corruption
  • Agony now ramps to 18 stacks.
  • Addition: Soul Burn: Soul Swap: Consumes a soul shard and creates a tortured soul, afflicted by Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction and Siphon Life (if talented). The soul must be cast within 10 seconds, or it is lost. While the tortured soul surrounds the Warlock, new shards cannot be generated.

Talents:

• R2-1: Vorpil’s Blessing: Unstable affliction can now be applied twice, on a single target or two separate targets. Recasts will only refresh the latest applied UA. [Note: Malefic Affliction will affect both UA’s, though the first cast will always drop off on single targets]
  • R3-2: Xavien’s Teachings: Corruption increases the stack gain of Agony by 35%.
  • R4-3: Writhe in Agony: Agony starts at 6/8 stacks but only ramps to 14/16 stacks.
  • R4-2: Harvester of Souls replaced with Siphon Life.
    - Rank 1: Duration 15 seconds.
    - Rank 2: Duration 30 seconds.
  • R5-2: Choice Node
    - Absolute Corruption: unchanged.
    - New: Agonizer: Increases stack count of Agony by 4.
  • R6-3: Soul Swap: 15 second cooldown, no shard cost.

you are losing 1.6% from a talent, its still 4.5% which is a lot.

Some Suggestions

• Remove Malefic Rapture
5 Likes

That is not how overall works but you do you. Not arguing anymore since this is going nowhere with you.

not gonna argue with you all day, i invite you to actually play the game, they clearly popping off in keys now.

1 Like

Yeppo, welcome to DoT specs! Where mythic+, because of how fast paced it is, requires people to want to play speedy DoTs and therefore the entire spec, as a whole, literally makes no sense thematically because a “Damage over time” profile doesn’t make any kind of sense in a timed environment like mythic+ so because mythic+ exists, Affliction cannot be true to the actual nature it should be. This is the same for every other DoT spec, too, like Balance Druids are/were the same, Spriests, Assassination Rogue, Feral Druid. All of them couldn’t do too much of their full profile while mythic+ is a thing.

Nonetheless, Assassination and Feral are actually in relatively good spots, so much that they needed nerfs because the way their DoTs did damage and all (with speed, as we had been saying since BFA), this actually caused them to do a pretty good amount of damage to the point they got nerfed.

Every DoT spec, every single one of them, needs to have 2 sides of their trees going like this: 1 side is full on DoT damage stuff, the other side is full on direct damage stuff. The middle would be something like more DoTs for those who want more DoTs.

Left side of the tree, the DoT side, could end up being a choice between faster ticking DoTs for a slight bit lower damage. The other side of the left half of the tree( for things like raids) could be much longer DoTs that deal much more damage. Maybe even these 2 could be a choice node, instead.

“Your Damage over Time abilities tick 60% faster, but deal 20% reduced damage.” “Your damage over time abilities now last 100% longer and deal 200% more damage.” Something like that, I think, would be a more interesting and better mechanic. Faster ticking DoTs for mythic+, longer and harder ticking DoTs for raids since the fights last much longer. Could even have the faster ticking DoTs for raids, too, wouldn’t matter as much.

They still need to give us a choice node with Withering Bolt to include Malefic Grasp so we can either have a buffed up filler or make the filler buff up our DoTs.

MR is still garbage, no matter who says whatever they want to say about this spell it still 100% does not fit into this spec thematically. It also doesn’t do anything for helping because your ramp is still there, it’s still getting your DoTs out the same way it has always been.

The other thing they could do, which would be better overall for the entire game imo, is tune down the amount of burst every spec does. Why do you need so much burst in this game? It’s so bland, dumb and ultra annoying to have every other spec be some mega bursting spec. Cooldowns need to be looked at across the board and reduced in power, overall, so it’s nowhere near as impactful. More specs need higher sustained damage over super burst.

It’s not fun to play. Literally being GCD starved because “you have 7 DoTs to use” is bad design. DoT specs, imo, shouldn’t have any more than 3 regular DoTs, period and then a filler. I think 2 DoTs is actually the best amount. Then just have talents that interact with said DoTs.

An example of this being: “Every time your Agony ticks it tries to spread itself, preferring to spread to a target nearby without Agony already on it. If no such target exist, Agony, instead, grants 2 additional stacks of Agony.” This helps solve ramp in ST while also helping to spread Agony in AoE without needing another DoT to spread Agony. Like, I love DoTs and DoT damage but I seriously hate being GCD starved.

“Every tick of Corruption your Corruption spreads to another target, preferring to Corrupt those without Corruption on them. If no such target exists then Corruption ticks an additional 2 times.” Done.

I think Affliction should just be: Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction and Drain Soul. Nothing else is needed, and then you have talents to interact with those 4 abilities. You can increase tick durations, reduce DoT durations, increase DoT durations, increase tick damage.

Does this make the spec boring to probably most other players? Yep, but that’s fine. Bear is boring to a lot of players, too, because of how simple and easy the spec is to play, yet it’s fine where it is/was, too. There’s no harm in having DoT specs being so boring and simple, as long as they make sense and do what they should be doing and the themes fit.

While I want Malefic Rapture to go, I do not want Unstable Affliction as a shard spender. Haunt was a good one back in WoD. That was a fun system but I just would actually prefer Affliction just didn’t use Soul Shards, at all. It just had mana to deal with and you had your DoTs. If anything and Soul Shards needed to be kept, have them as an onset of like choosing Soulburn talent and have them affected by just that, with you generating 1 shard every 30 or 60 seconds while in combat. Done, shouldn’t need to use all 5 in a 60 second window so you should be fine, then.

Like, Resto Druid uses mana and Balance, Feral and Guardian each have a different resource. They have mana, too, but how often do you see them shifting to use said mana bar? I don’t see it but maybe in an extreme extreme case of life or death. Outside of that, not at all. I see Resto using the other forms to use their resource, but that’s also because it’s relatively easy to run out of mana as Resto if you’re not watching what things you’re casting. Like casting Wild Growth on CD will run you oom.

I think Shamans are the same way: Resto uses mana but the DPS specs use their own resources. Why can’t Affliction just not have Soul Shards and just be mana based?

Yes, exactly. The longer things live, which is in higher keys, the better they are.

I fully agree, yeah, it’s a huge issue.

This or make the spec a tank spec, with drains and DoTs coming back to heal the lock. Honestly I’d be down for either Demo or Affliction becoming a tank spec, instead.

7 Likes

I love Affliction to death, hilariously even now when it feels so weak but I would trade your spec in a heartbeat if it ment more demons for Demo and more fire for Destro, sorry

1 Like

He’s an idiot. Don’t mind him.