Affliction is unfun to play, and the culprit is Malefic rapture & Siphon life

blah blah nobody cares if you like current iteration MR, you’re a minority. Fact is this spec has lost it’s roots and were playing destro or demo now because of it.

Honestly, corruption being permanent should be baseline, its annoying having to reapply it, and Siphon life should just be removed. I propose that Malefic rapture should function like how agony + drain life (inevitable demise) work if they insist on not removing the spell, except turn MR into a DOT since you know… were aff locks. why is a non-dot doing all of our damage?

EXAMPLE: after “X ammount” UA ticks, you can consume the UA stacks (not the dot itself) with Malefic rapture which then puts a fast ticking GIGA dot on a target.

this will make it to where were not constantly having to spam MR’s and breaking our drain souls.

not saying this is the answer, but at the very least it’s something that can fix how trash it feels to have to interupt our drain souls nonstop, instead it would be used less frequently with higher impact and class fantasy. Just something to not make my favorite spec awful to play for a third expansion in a row :slight_smile:

9 Likes

No clue who is in the minority or not.

Anecdotally though, I hate MR. If the class didn’t have that spell and the rotation was the same and did the same damage, I would be happier with the spec.

Cant even talent out of it. Its the first node in the entire tree.

7 Likes

I’m sorry you feel that way, but the mechanics of the Soul Harvester tree heavily imply that the devs have no intention of getting rid of Malefic Rapture any time soon.

The best you can probably hope for is that Hellcaller is successful as a means of leaning more into dot damage to the point that it takes some of the emphasis on rapture damage away in favor of wither and agony, leaving rapture more as a means of fueling Blackened Soul rather than being a damage source in itself.

I like rapture, myself, but I hope that the changes they’re planning soon for the Alpha find a way to make the spec more fun for you, too.

Just for some clarity, the minority is anyone that is posting on the forums, reddit, etc. The vast majority of players don’t interact like that or give feedback at all. Now are MR-enjoyers the minority of that minority? Sure. But that doesn’t really matter. At least not to Blizz who has certainly received the feedback on how many people dislike MR and are sticking with it.

malefic rapture got to go!

6 Likes

I agree with you that its a small minority of players that use reddit, forums, etc to provide feedback. Another way to say it though is “on any platform used to provide feedback, MR has been mostly disliked”. Anecdotal but i have yet to see a post talking about it on any platform where the people who liked MR were not the minority.

" At least not to Blizz who… are sticking with it "

Them sticking with it does not mean that providing feedback that MR is not fun for the spec and each individual person providing that feedback would like to see it removed. Providing feedback is important if we want to see the spec improve.

Reddit is full of a bunch of people who don’t even play the game so you can take a lot of what is upvoted there with a grain of salt.

Soul Harvester is very focused around MR and its been getting some positive feedback from those that have Alpha on Twitter and Discord.

Actually the people complaining about MR are the minority.

People are playing demo and Destro because they are performing better and have better profiles for the current fights.

In 9.0 when MR was introduced it was the main spec player because of how strong it was.

The days of dot dot dot filler are gone.

Lol
No.

Happy players don’t complain. Which means they don’t actively seek out websites to complain about abilities they aren’t upset with.

Also most of the people complaining about MR lack fundamental game understanding.

1 Like

Valid points I agree with. I just know I am not a fan of MR and how it is designed. The intent of my comment was to establish that feedback is good and shouldn’t be discouraged or discarded out of hand. This includes yours which may differ from mine.

3 Likes

I can understand not being a fan of MR though I don’t really understand why.

I really scratch my head when people ask for ua spender to return right after they complain about bloat.

I think credibility matters when factoring in feedback.

There’s a warlock that grey parses here as affliction in heroic with a bunch of really bad takes. I think their feedback should flat out be ignored.

I think people need to prove they have an understanding of the game and the specs in order to give good feedback.

It’s probably an identity issue more than anything else, Affliction’s whole theme and concept is rotting people which malefic rapture is antithetical towards that.

Dots can never be strong with malefic rapture’s existence and that’s most likely what players want.

2 Likes

Sure they can. Hellcaller is doing a lot of dot damage on Alpha with Wither. We also do not know what tuning they have planned for MR they specifically mentioned a few days ago.

The throw dots and have it be your entire damage source isn’t a viable playstyle in todays game which is the issue.

And that’s all subjective because to me using dots to power up an attack speaks to afflictions theme to me.

I’m using dots to weaken and suck the life force out of my opponents and allows me to channel a big powered attack through MR.

That’s the thing - the pure “dot and rot” concept doesn’t really work anymore for modern WoW combat, which is why they cant just bring back WotLK/MoP/Legion affliction design. Based on their upcoming changes blog post(and possibly over-analyzing it), it does seem like they have a good sense of what needs improvement, and that affliction will seemingly see the biggest changes. The addition of Dread Touch/Doom Blossom was a significant improvement compared to the prior iteration of affliction, so I’m excited to see what they come up with(in addition to having a class tree that’s better than the “it works but I couldn’t care less about it” one we have now)

I do hope that Hellcaller rolls out very much like what we are seeing from alpha cause I think it really acts to shore up allot of peoples desires to be far more dot damage based on the profile.

from what ive seen it is the hero tree im leaning to as allot of its damage is based in increasing dots damage and play well with affs dot damage building talents.
Hopefully it stays like this and you and others get to play it.

I will say allot of people would like to see Siphone life gone even most of the ones in the keep rapture camp. Not all but allot of the feedback ive seen leans that way. the lock discord is leaning that way aswell

What I like about both of Aff’s hero trees is that they have a subtle influence on the way rapture works that could potentially pull some power from rapture itself.

Soul Harvester addresses how it requires every dot on every target by tying a big damage proc to it, so rapture itself can just be a delivery method for the demonic soul. If you don’t have every dot, it’s not as big of a deal because you always get the full value.

For Hellcaller, rapture can work out just fine as an engine to get Blackened Soul going. Rapture’s damage can lose some power in lieu of a blanket dot that every rapture is either building up to, or increasing the burn length of.

It will all come down to tuning, of course, but the mechanic potential is very impressive from what I’ve seen.

This season was my first time ever playing warlock and affliction is really fun

1 Like

I absolutely agree that Siphon Life is an unfun spell. I also think Haunt is bad.

But i dont think MR is unfun. Its a tool that to me enables me to patricipate in quick mob packs without feeling like a pot of water that never boils.

Dark Glare is what i would love to see removed. Dark Glare is what converts Aff to a conserve and spend spec opposed to ramping rot.

Check your talents and you’ll know why people prefer ua spender to MR.