Affixes are still unfun

Go raid, go do pvp, go do world content and if you dont like any of those forms of content, why do you play the game? if all you play for is M+ and you constantly complain about it, then just stop, there is a difference between having valid criticisms and just complaining for complainings sake.

I unsubbed 3 months ago. Don’t know why that doesn’t seem to sink in.
But I live abroad, 8 hours ahead of server time. I can’t raid. And even if I could, raiding doesn’t appeal to me and hasn’t done for 13 years or however long ago Cataclysm was.
PvP in WoW is more or less neglected and pointless.
And don’t make me laugh if you think world content is worth the subscription.

The only content in this game keeping me around is M+ but if most weeks are feeling like skip weeks, no thank you.

Sounds like you are just complaining for complainings sake tbh, if you unsubbed then play something else and have fun rather than trolling the forums saying how bad a game is. There is content for just about everyone in the game, if you dont find any of the content fun, then its time to find a different game.

Having a differing opinion to you about the quality of the game isn’t trolling.
It’s like me saying to you “stop having low standards of quality from AAA studios and defending lazy game design on their forums.”

1 Like

I mean lazy game design that a majority of games are moving towards, sounds very lazy to me. And having differing opinions is fine, but all you are doing is crying for attention because the game doesnt cater specifically to you

All you are doing is trying to justify your own investment into this game by dismissing everyone’s opinion as trolling and attention seeking.

See, I can play that game too.

1 Like

This is just a prime example of wow brain where criticism of the game is confusing and terrifying to you. Do you need a tier list or guide video for you to understand what’s being said? There’s gotta be a weakaura package you can download to tell you how to respond.

You’re defeating Murakage’s point by chiming in exclusively to insult someone. All you did was insert your own baggage while they were doing a good job defending themself.

Not really, to any of what you just said.

I’m not playing the game where I have to be all nice polite smile emoji time with people that are insulting. I’ll return that attitude back to them.

They didn’t even make or explain a real point. Stop going up to bat for trolls.

In what way am I batting for them? I agree with Murakage.

What meaningful result did you hope to achieve?

People can criticise the game, I have my own criticisms of the game, but when all you do is harp on about “lazy game design” yet that point is absolutely nill when other games are moving closer to that game design, so it obviously cant be that bad or other games wouldnt be incorporating it. Yes I agree some affixes are annoying, but all you have to do is actually play the game, and learn to play around them. As for the gearing you have to be off your head on something if you think gearing this patch is difficult, literally the easiest its evert been.

1 Like

I have made points you are just ignoring them because all you want to do is hate on the game, which if thats all you come on the forums to do then leave and go find another game to play that you enjoy and let those who enjoy the game or actually have valid criticisms exist without you.

I dont have to justify my investments into the game. You raised points, I gave you counterpoints and all you can do is harp on about the same points and ignore anything people say to you, so clearly you are just on here to seek attention and not actually listen to any form of valid response.

I’m not sure you’re making the point you think you’re making. “Lazy game design” is something that is going to be adopted by many other studios, because their interest is not in making “a good game”, “a quality product”, or “an enjoyable customer experience”, their interest is in maximising profits for their shareholders*. If they can get away with being lazy, they will do so. How does other companies doing that somehow defend, or justify, when a certain game company is doing so? Why would you, as the customer, advocate for that practice, or tolerate it?

I have no idea why you think is somehow a coherent “point” or “counterpoint”. At best, it’s a whataboutism that doesn’t actually make the case that this current design element is good, enjoyable, or a good direction for the game to go down.

Hell, even if you’re being purely selfish, how does it benefit you to tell someone else to leave this game? A dwindling population is this game can only negatively affect you in every way.

*And one of the main criticisms for how Blizzard has designed games especially in recent years has been about how they’ve transparently been making game decisions, staffing decisions, etc. with profits and shareholders in mind, at the detriment of good games.

I think there’s a very important distinction between those two that you’re missing. Dungeon mechanics are designed with each other in mind. Take for example, Hackclaw’s War Band. Hextrick Totem is cast, Decayed Senses happens, and Savage Charge happens. Each part of this implemented to create a set play - kill the totem to free your healer, who dispels the tank, so the tank can take the charge. Each one of these depends on the other, would be lesser with any part of it gone, and play in a reasonable way that takes the other into consideration.

Affixes do not work that way. They’re simply generically applied on top of the dungeon. There’s very little deliberation or thought applied, which is one of the reason why affixes have continually created horrific situations that don’t really work. WHether it’s people being pulled in by a mechanic into a Quaking, or whatever. The only time any actual effort has gone into how affixes work has generally been when they’ve had to be disabled for an actually-designed dungeon mechanic to work as it was intended to work, and not just unfairly gib the players.

That’s kind of an important distinction between the two. You can take out affixes from Mythic+, and you still have dungeons that were (at least in theory) carefully designed, standalone, and workable content for players. It doesn’t work the other way - if you start chopping out dungeon mechanics to leave affixes in, it leaves the content itself threadbare.

2 Likes

Its almost like, a majority of people enjoy affixes and similar things being added into games, it adds another level of difficulty and complexity without just making it a numbers game. And I dont often tell people to leave the game but if all someone is going to do is complain and whine and cry for attention, because the game isnt designed exactly how one person wants it, then maybe they should find a different game, one they dont have as many complaints about and one that they enjoy, if you choose to continue playing a game that you dont enjoy then you cant complain because its you that is causing yourself those issues.

[citation required]

I mean, aside from the part where I’m pretty sure almost all affixes can be translated into clear numbers in some way - the most impactful affixes (which is a reason why they activate at +2, reflect on score, and rotate weekly, and other affixes revolve around them) in the game currently are Tyrannical and Fortified, which are literally blanket numbers adjustments.

Not to mention that it’s pretty questionable to call several affixes “another level of difficulty”, or “another level of complexity”, given that they’re neither.

And not to not to mention that just because any X% of people like lazy design (whenever you get to citing that), would not change whether it is lazy design, or change the criticisms of said lazy design. AFter all, design that people supposedly enjoy can also be improved.

2 Likes

Go look at the amount of people playing M+, go look at the playerbase of other games that are adding affixes who are almost all saying they are looking forward to it, just pay attention to the people who actually play the game rather than people who just want to complain.

And they add more things into a dungeon, ergo making it more complex given you have more things you have to focus on and more things to take into account when running a dungeon. if you want to say its lazy game design then dont play that content is what it boils down to, but there are plenty of people who actually have valid criticisms and work with companies to try and make things better, rather than whining and seeking attention like certain people.

Usually players welcome affixes in an existing game to extend a positive experience they are already having. Affixes are a popular means to facilitate that end because of development cost/value and (in theory) some degree of compartmentalization of systems (the ability to switch/modify one side of the dungeons-affixes equation without affecting the other).

Pivoting for a second… in WOW there was a developmental paradime shift around WOD and I don’t want to go too far down that rabbit hole but as a result development became less about creating and nurturing a gaming experience and more about breaking down the game in to parts and seeking economically driven like outcomes, minimum development resources producing maximum game content.

The result of this is modern WOW content can be viewed as a collection of systems stacked on each other; base content, class design, reward systems, affixes etc. Each patch the layers/systems get a spin and where they land in relation to each other dictates a players experience and sometimes it aligns in to a really horrid experience, the type that has gamer’s asking “why would you ever design this?”

The answer is they didn’t because the type of game design player’s have in mind isn’t happening or at best is an after thought. The current paradime is driven by data analytics, validated by “meaningful choices” etc, the idea that providing a choice is in itself value, versus outcomes, etc . It’s problematic paradime!

To Bliz credit they are dealing with this better in DF. They are listening and seeking to improve things in real time. This is an improvement for sure but there is a constant feeling like the best version of the game is never now but 2-3 patches in the future.

Anyway the point of this long and somewhat convoluted post is that the affix system is not itself the problem. We could have had a completely different mechanism for extending the life of dungeons over the last 7 years and it would probably be facing the same issues affixes are having right now.

That is not to say there are not improvements to be made. I personally would love to see many things happen, many ideas explored, but it isn’t going to happen. There is a real disconnect between the way this stuff is being put together and the way the bulk of people play the game. Until there is a better alignment the same issues will keep reappearing.

1 Like

You mean the dwindling numbers of players…? Or the petitions to remove them? Or all the streamers of high end players, content creators and articles who have vehemently called them garbage/unfun and made a case for an overhaul?

Calling affixes loved is the most hilarious thing I’ve ever read. At best, they’re barely tolerated.

1 Like

I like affixes and I wouldn’t even go that far. I can’t even recall a week in recent memory where at least one person I’m friends with didn’t groan at the combination.