Advice on server for oceanic player

Hello! I’m an oceanic player from Malaysia, planning to start playing classic TBC in preparation for WOTLK. Just wondering what server is best to start on as an oceanic player (for reasonable raid times etc).

I’ll mainly be focusing on PVE, with a side of PVP only when bored. So the latency difference between US servers and oceanic are not an issue for me (used to playing with 200-300ms since I’m from Malaysia).

I’ve noticed the biggest oceanic server is Arugal, which is still small in population compared to the bigger US servers like Faerlina and Benediction.

Are there a lot of oceanic based raiding guilds on those US servers too (basically around GMT +8 guilds). Or am I better off rolling in Arugal for the raid times?

Thank you in advance! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re looking for. However, I can tell you that the US megaservers have a lot of drawbacks.

Layers, server lag, AH lag, toxic anonymity… iMO, stay away from them!

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s easy to sell stuff on the AH and have more than enough gold for mounts, consumes, gems, enchants…

Also, pretty easy to form and find groups.

:eyes:

1 Like

This is an obvious troll post.

Do yourself a favor and avoid low pop dying realms.

1 Like

They said malaysia. their ping could be better to US than OCE. its that way for me from Japan to OCE. Retail and classic.

Half the fun of the OCE lag for some is…the actually link or hardware of the OCE lol.

So, op…make a test char on some US servers is what I’d advise. see if ping is better. hit a few areas. they don’t need ot be 70. go to some spots see what ping looks like with load is all.

I rerolled off remulos classic wise since ping was way better and it was dead for horde at the time. all oce was worse ping for me.

retail side…I paid to x-fer chars before they had sales from Cael/Nag to US west servers. It was still worth it to me.

Your mileage may vary ofc. Atiesh and grob work fine for me.

1 Like

Arugal

The only OCE server guaranteed to still be around by the time wrath is wrapping up

2 Likes

Oh sorry I forgot to say.

I’ll mainly be focusing on PVE, with a side of PVP only when bored. So my priority is mainly to find a server with enough guilds doing content in my timezone (GMT +8) but also a decently populated realm to enjoy the benefits (which I’m afraid most oceanic realms are not).

The latency difference between US servers and oceanic are not an issue for me (used to playing with up to 200-300ms since I’m from Malaysia). Overall both are pretty acceptable to me these days (around 50-70ms)

Mainly looking for a decently sized realm (to enjoy the benefits of good economy, enough players to play with etc) with enough people who play in my timezone (GMt+8).

Arugal seems to fit the bill (largest oceanic guild) but I’m concerned that it’s like at least 15-20k less populated than the mega servers (around 9-10k pop) Would that be considered decent enough population to have a good experience with?

Benediction is fine there are multiple OCE timeslot guilds there, I have a capped character over there (as well as pagle and a 65 on yojamba) im the end if you want players your going to need to play US West (or East).

1 Like

You don’t need a packed server for all that. In fact, the AH on Benediction is unusable. Searches take several seconds. I’ve had it take 30 seconds to post an auction. I’ve also had my buyouts throw errors 30 seconds after I clicked (I presume the item sold and it took time for the AH to catch up.) The auction house is also flooded, so many things go for very little value, and the popular reagents/consumes are quite expensive.

Yeah, you’re more likely to find a group on Bene at 3am… But that’s the only positive.

Wait… you’re suggesting there’s only megaservers and low pop realms?

I just tried playing on Remulos last night. I have a constant 250 ms ping, which is unnoticeable. It did jump up to 800-900 for like 5 min once. TBH, it felt like I was back on Bene (which is in my timezone - servers lag when they’re crowded.)

Try poking around servers with some alts and get a feel.

I actually chose to roll on Heartseeker for a while because Benediction was too annoying. Every chat channel was too spammy to deal with. Again, the AH had significant issues to work with, especially during peak hours. But then again, if you’re half way around the world, it might not be as crazy for ya when you’re on.

1 Like

WotLK was never designed for 30,000 players on 1 server and it wasn’t designed for 99.9 - 0.1 populations. Arugal is still a huge server and will have 10x as many OCE timezone guilds.

1 Like

That’s a pretty good point! I suppose a 10k pop realm is more than good enough for a good experience, and definitely more oceanic guilds on an oceanic realm lol

Yikes, sounds pretty bad if it lags that horribly! I guess I could try making an alt on bene to see just how bad it can get during my timezome, and look around at the guilds online at the time.

If it’s still as bad as you say, Arugal should hit the sweet spot for me! Thanks so much for all your input mate!

And I suspect Arugal pop will go up quite a bit with the wotlk hype!

Well back on retail I got similar pings on US servers and oceanic, so hope it remains true for classic. But good suggestion, will definitely roll some alts and test the servers.

Thanks everyone for helping me decide! <3

Arugal is the most populated and best for activity… But avoid Remulos at all cost if you wan to play horde as its dead dead.

1 Like

I saw plenty of Horde when playing… though I don’t know what the raiding culture is like.

1 Like

There are healthy servers, dead servers, and servers sliding to become dead.

2 Likes

Megaservers are not healthy.

2 Likes

IF you’re an Aussie just play with American’s. Don’t need a mega server go flood a med pop servers. Reminds me of the Old Day’s of Kil’jaden, good times.

You’ll find a lot of nocturnal American’s or EU’s on U.S servers as well as South American’s all with there own wild timezones. It will be noticeable less populated but more so then compared to a server with say low POP

While your ping can be hit or miss, I know people on the pacific islands who’s ping will vary. You may get a bit of ping it won’t be game breaking unless you plan to do Hardcore .01% of the arena. Unless you’re VERY firm with only playing with Aussie / Kiwi’s. If you go to a mega server you will always normally be on at offtimes. So it won’t be as flooded.

If you want to start fresh i’d say keep an eye out, but if you’re staying to the O.G Servers Argual or any of the mega servers will fit, Though I always name Drop Grob cus it’s the best server.

1 Like

Arugal has a healthy population of about 10,000 raiders (or close to), which is still 20k shy of what Bene has and other mega servers. So que times are none existant. But still penty of good palyers to play with.

1 Like

our servers are going to be a much better experience than the hell that any of the muppets who have gone to a megaserver will have on wrath launch, frankly, the quieter server Yojamba will give you a much better leveling experience than Arugal as well, however it’ll be a bit rougher post-launch when it comes to pugs and finding groups.

Choose your poison, there is no need to go to US servers, the OCE userbase is plenty big enough, the original game was never designed for servers to have more than ~3k active users at any one time

2 Likes

Yojamba is a good option as well if players are worried about a server having to many players playing. It still has almost twice the population of Remulos.

2 Likes

Its where i’ve played since classic’s launch, no regrets, no queues, no problems, i wish we could balance the factions a little more though, bring a few alliance over from arugal and a couple of guilds to balance it out, but alliance players are raiding just fine, i got double teamed by a glaives rogue and resto druid on the isle a few times yesterday, they’re out there pvping lol

2 Likes