Addressing the Mage Tower fallout

These days average players are what we used to call terrible players.

1 Like

There’s still no miscommunication here though. They said the fights would be challenging, and they are. There’s no surprise there’s no ambiguity… that’s the end of it.

We can complain all we want about how Blizzard didn’t specify to the ninth degree about how challenging they would actually be but it’s all irrelevant at that point.

There’s no miscommunication. It’s not Blizzard’s fault players assumed things and had different expectations.

A small section of an audience is always going to misread intention, no matter how clear the communication is.

That’s what happened here. A small vocal section of the audience didn’t understand what “meaningful level of difficulty” meant.

1 Like

I’ve already went through the term “meaningful”, as well as how expectations are based on historical references rather than vague, arbitrary terms, but let’s agree to disagree.

1 Like

That’s actually a really good point.
I hadn’t even considered it from that perspective.

2 Likes

I think blizzard is more than fine with how the MT is right now. A bunch of people have completed it. What really annoys me is that when you have content like the MT it encourages some people to find “alternative” ways of doing it. Could be because they don’t have the “skills” or time to do it. It just defeats the purpose of it all.

We’ll never know how many people are getting carried through MT but knowing how quickly people are willing to pay for raid/m+ carries there are probably a handful.

And I pointed out that the statistics are unreliable. If you read my comment you will see that Blizzard is “evaluating the data regarding Mage Tower success rates” so they will certainly have a completely accurate statistic.

You talk about statistics, so consider this: Only a few hundred people posts on these forums. At most a few thousand over time. We are a very small percentage of WoW players. Basing your assumptions on what people say here isnt accurate.

Blizzard clearly said it was a Challenge. The word means that its challenging. Not easy, but difficult. They did the same thing for the green fire Warlock challenge; it was single player and intended to push players to exceed the ordinary and play the class to its very best. Before it was nerfed (and the title removed) approximately 2% of the playerbase received the “of the Black Harvest” title.

You know what; I wanna put this foot in the door.

Who here thinks the Mage Tower should be easier and HAS cleared it? I’d like the Mage Tower to be not so dependent on RNG via gear and whatnot, but apparently that’s a bit too ‘casual’ to ask.
So, yeah, who has done the Tower? Who’s done it with subpar gear? I’d like to be proven wrong so I can admit my fault and just try again as a Blood DK.

I pointed that out in the original comment in parenthesis on the same line as mentioning that statistic.

I only mention completion statistics to evaluate their design choice. Not statistics of perception, which would take some work to generate for either end. But if we were to be pedantic, this would be a large enough sample population.

I get it, but the point of contention was that it was more difficult that expected, and that expectation is not unreasonable as they are based on historical experience as detailed above. Again, I do not wish to repeat myself ad nauseum. I’m not advocating for making it easier.

1 Like

For the love of god why are you not a hunter with that name???

Save yourself the aggravation, just go in as a DH, roll your face on keyboard, make sure to press space bar anytime you eat a knockback.

Laugh as you collect your set 5 pulls later.

I’ve done 5 challenges so far, guardian druid, demo lock, disc priest, holy paly, and frost mage. Guardian druid could use some minor nerfs. The other 3 were fine. I can’t say much about the rest. I tried shadow priest and it was a clusterf. Healing challenge on Holy priest was really difficult - I couldn’t even get past the first 3 waves in first phase when it first came out, but they nerfed it quite a bit already so /shrug.

1 Like

I think this is a good honest opinion for those said specs and classes. I felt the same for those specs along with boomy being a clusterf, as well. But usually when these opinions are brought up it starts the argument of whether all classes and specs should be the same difficulty level. To me, that’s a no-brainer, yes they should all be the same difficulty level, but getting toxic players who haven’t completed it on every spec to understand this is another challenge all on its own and not worth the effort put into it.

1 Like

Mogs and most mounts are available for 0 effort in legacy mode eventually. MT doesn’t work that way.

3 Likes

Personally even though I’ve completed it, with current raid gear, losing 4 sockets due to Dom Shards :neutral_face:(Trust me it was a struggle but still doable), I think current Shadowlands gear should just scale better, perhaps let’s dom shards not the 3 piece bonus but the shards themselves have the effect but scaled down appropriately.

We need to remember, back in Legion, once the Argus Raid came out people just outgeared mage tower making it so much easier, because the current gear scaled better. Why should my Mythic Geared Character which I put so much time and effort in be made redundant to someone who has worse gear?.

To me it seems odd that trying to achieve the best gear in current content, spending 100s of hours grinding and progressing be worse off.

Because this is 1) time walking and it’s always scaled down gear and 2) it’s meant as a challenge for everyone so normalizing gear between people is important
3)good gear is accessible to everyone, not just mythic pushers, so casuals too can get a fair shot at the challenge

Too bad they didn’t normalize the encounters and doing it on one class is massively easier than doing the same encounter on another class.

2 Likes

Aye true. Some classes do need an adjustment here and there. But that was the case in legion too (not that it makes it ok, but if we’ll compare to MT back then it’s fair to say).

True, but since gear came in and nerfed the whole place anyway, it wasn’t that big of a deal. But now with normalized gear… is there really a reason Xylem’s darkness hits my DH for 1500 / second, and only hits my Warrior for 750 / seconds. That gives my Warrior double the time to get to safety in a Time displacement bubble… because … ?

Sometimes I feel Blizzard doesn’t even play their own game.

2 Likes

Cool, and they sure taught them. And they left to play Final Fantasy.

They sure taught them a good lesson!

3 Likes

I feel that. Doing unholy dk and fire mage felt vastly unfair. Tho classes and kits are vastly different so differences will of course exist and provide different difficulty. Probably would have been best to create challenges unique to classes than common gameplay themes, but that ship has long sailed. Also i play neither war nor dh so can’t comment.