Addons greatly devalue the Classic Experience

As the title says, addons greatly devalue the classic experience. A great example of this is this video by Venruki:

He goes on multiple times about how much he enjoys having to read the quests, figure them out, find out where they are, and isn’t just following markers on a map. He loves this aspect of the game existing in classic vs it not in retail.

Fast forward a few months, and now his current streams are of him using questie. When he is asked about questie, he says he doesn’t like it, he wishes all addons were banned, and that the only reason he uses questie is because he doesn’t want to fall behind everyone else.

“Just dont use addons then” isn’t a valid argument.

This is probably one of the best examples for why addons are bad for the game. Questie and addons like it completely devalue an entire aspect of vanilla - the questing experience, and the addon is so powerful, it creates a social situation where your friend uses it, so you need to use it too if you want to stay around the same level as them.

There are many other examples I could use, and other addons I could discuss, but that would make this thread far too long. This is just one example of many, and gets the point across.

We are getting much more powerful addons than Vanilla ever had. Nearly every retail addon is getting ported over and that isn’t a good thing.

Please consider looking into globally disabling addons or creating your own “Google store” of addons you approve that we can use.

We all want to experience a true authentic classic experience, addons are going to (and already are) taking away a big part of that experience from a lot of people.

Do the right thing Blizzard. Please look into this.

edit:
TSM is coming to vanilla. Another great example of “just don’t use addons” not being a real argument that can be used.

This addon is essentially an AH bot. If people are using it, you NEED to be using it or you CANNOT compete with them. You are FORCED into using this to stay competitive as a gold maker.

Please ban all addons, or at least this one, Blizzard.

30 Likes

How can something that has been in the game since day 1 devalue the classic experience? Having the options (yes, option, because you don’t actually have to install them) to use addons is literally part of the classic experience.

38 Likes

Omg! Take down wowhead too! It devalues the questing experience. Got a flashy thing to zap my memory too?
I remebered stuff the game is ruined!

28 Likes

Addons are the Classic (Vanilla) experience

15 Likes

YAWN Response to thread about addons #333:

1. You do NOT have to use addons. So…DON’T!
  2. Addons were intended to be used in WoW at LAUNCH.
  3. Get over your outrage for something you don’t want to use.
8 Likes

There was an addon back in vanilla that actually had a quest arrow and eta to destination.

That was so much better then questie. Bring it back!

6 Likes

And you telling us to not use addons isn’t a valid argument. Just because YOU don’t want to use addons doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be able to.

5 Likes

I agree with this a Bazillion times, addons should be banned.

I wanna go back to playing a Fantasy MMORPG, not have my screen cluttered with addons until my my UI looks like I’m piloting a starship.

5 Likes

These forums honestly make me wonder how many of these people actually played vanilla. Addons in vanilla were rampant. There was a paid addon even better than questie for leveling. There were addons that automatically selected the best rank of a spell to use to heal your target without overhealing and wasting mana. There were addons that selected targets for removing debuffs in a priority order (as in you spam one button and it decurses people in the ideal order for the fight). Addons were flat out broken in vanilla, that’s why they did the major overhaul in TBC to break a lot of the functionality that vanilla addons and macros had. Just because you didn’t use addons in vanilla didn’t mean they weren’t a major, major part of the game.

6 Likes

The common response to this, just don’t use them, holds far more weight than in for example the flying Mount discussion.

Mods aren’t something that directly affect you in game as often and you have to go to external sites and installation procedures although minor.

I’m sticking with the mods I used in classic.

Addons are great, I can’t wait for LFGclassic to make grouping easier.

5 Likes

If you don’t want addons, go play FF14.

Most of these addons that are being ported over existed in Classic, some being more powerful than they currently are. Healbot used to guesstimate the rank you needed to cast for efficiency, Decursive used to use a macro and you never had to target someone, and there were TomTom quest addons that put an arrow and had markers on your map, and would modify the the mouseover of targets.

All of the addons that played the game for you have been broken since the 1.12 client.

3 Likes

posts OP, runs away knowing it’s a troll thread that has been hashed out too much already, yup it’s Sunday.

1 Like

Noone is twisting your arm to download addons. If you dont want addons dont download them.

1 Like

“Addons will greatly devalue MY classic expirence.”

3 Likes

Word. Raiding involved min-maxing addons to give yourselves the edge. The more deadweight you had in your raid group, the more addons you needed.

Actually… it totally is.

PEBKAC.

1 Like

Different people just want different things out of the game.

1 Like

Good for him. I wouldn’t read quest text if you literally paid me too. It is gawd awful. There is a reason I mainly just grinded, farmed, did pvp and thottbot for specific items back in the day. Running around doing quest is about the most boring thing.

As far as addons in general: as long as it doesn’t lean towards botting and play automation then I support addons. Won’t use them all, but plenty are useful and increase the enjoyment.

If you take away addons, you are literally devaluing my experience because i had them then and I’ll have them now.

Who are you to tell me my experience in Vanilla was invalid?

5 Likes