Addons, a cheat? Or are they a boon and if so to whom

Nameplates are a UI function which puts a health bars over nameplates of enemies and comes with additional information such as buffs, debuffs, cast bars, the like. They’re a life saver.

2 Likes

combat addons are both, non-combat addons are a boon

ban combat addons and telegraphs options

Addons are a double-edged sword. Both a blessing and a curse.

I blame them for raiding becoming as unapproachable as it is today.

1 Like

Because FF 14 content is easy

3 Likes

Well, that and everyone uses add-ons anyway, since XIV doesn’t have a Warden program and you can only be “caught” if you stream it, and the Details+DBM equivalent, CactBot, does not display on the same graphics layer picked up by streaming software.

They make roleplaying a lot easier; without the RP addons it would be a complete mess for us and would make it almost near impossible to enjoy the game ourselves when it doesn’t come to raiding.

Granted I do raid and do dungeons and what-not (Can’t get good TMOG if I don’t raid, ya know?) But you gotta understand OP, this game does not have good QoL for roleplayers.

So if putting in a QoL for roleplaying is cheating, then I guess you can put me on the show ‘Cheaters’

1 Like

Are you complaining that you can’t get to ZM rares because of people using addons?

2 Likes

Personally, I think they should stop designing the fights with them in mind - at least the fights below mythic. I don’t want to be bothered with WeakAuras specifically. If people get bored because the fights are too easy then they can either stop using addons or do mythic where the fights are designed around said addons

1 Like

I really don’t think so, there is a difference in the amount of content but I don’t think that in difficulty if it seems easier it is because FFXIV is better telegraphed.

The main difference with WoW is that it’s well telegraphed, from start throughout the end of the game you’re going to see the same markers for the same types of mechanics on each and every boss, and if there isn’t a marker for an X mechanic you are expected to look at the boss and his stance to resolve that part of the encounter.

now, if you play FFXIV with combat addons or other thing that give you more information than the encounter gives you, and you consider it easy for that reason, the problem is that you are playing bad, the combats in FFXIV are designed to be solved without addons.

I mean if you’re going to group all add-ons together then you’re not really worth having a conversation with.

If this happened, I wouldn’t pay for my addons. I use Bartender because the Blizz UI sucks and Vuhdo because I’m too lazy to make my own macros. DBM stresses me out and actually makes me mess up more, I have it installed just so I can get into groups. In actuality, I don’t need any of them.

They are explicitly allowed they are also explicitly unsupported

Blizzard support is not going to fix your addon if it breaks the game. Nor do they publish documentation on how to write addons. They just don’t stop you from doing so. In fact the first step in blizz’s support procedures is to purge addons.

1 Like

I swear to god Warriors spell reflect uses some type of add on to be instant cast.

I literally would have difficulty seeing that and they are needed for those of us with bad eyesight. I pointed this out earlier in the thread.

The only one that ever bugged me was The Healer Must Die or something like that. It put a raid marker on the other teams healer. I had heard about it when I was healing at the time. After a bit of time I stopped doing random pvp because I was getting focused like never before. I did give it some time too, just to see if I was me or maybe the mod.
I’m not sure if it is still around but at that time it was pretty popular.

edit: I didn’t rage about it or anything, I just stopped healing random battlegrounds.

3 Likes

No, not really. It’s about the same as WoW or harder in some cases. Some mechanics are instant so you have to react ahead of time or very quick, other times its “easy” only because you’ve done it so much - same as wow raiding.

Youre spare parts bud

I might try that then the next time I pvp. I don’t like clutter on the screen so that’s why I haven’t used those.
Ty for the info.

No worries. Same offer extends to you as the OP. if you wanna sit down and tinker with your UI, I’m more than happy to help.

1 Like

I’ve noticed some threads about addons. Is this because Blizzard is thinking about removing them from the game or are they just looking for info about how to improve the UI itself so addons aren’t necessary?

Anyone know? Ty in advance.