Addons, a cheat? Or are they a boon and if so to whom

I have absolutely zero idea how add-ons work as I have never used any non-Blizzard services, so I think after all these years I have to right to question the validity of such a thing with a simple query. I try to make it to the boss zone if it pops on my map and have done so for many years but the sheer enormity of allowing a third-party program to push my gaming chances to a higher level have always hindered my success as flocks of people use the services and trash my gaming experience because literally, they can. I get it, people are allowed, and it makes advancing in game that much quicker but is it right?

When you can join a group using the additional services and destroy an entire zone such as zerith since it is the newest, that’s fine but in addition to the obvious… not calling out or slowing the role and DPS at a reduced rate just trashes the majorities game further and yes… i get it, jump up, ad on and go with the flow but why should i have to when it is after all an actual additional feature unrelated to wow…

Point being, are additional ad’s something Blizzard should consider supplying at an additional cost? Seems like a lost opportunity business wise to me… i

1 Like

Given that addons are explicitly allowed and supported by Blizzard, they are not a cheat.

For the most part, all combat addons do is let you re-arrange the information you already have access to and put it in a place to more easily see.

22 Likes

Uh, what? How is somebody else using an add on ‘trashing your gaming experience’?

You keep using the word ‘trashing’ but I dont really understand your complaint.

Why would Blizzard charge for add ons? They have in the past included QoL improvements like updates to the Auction House etc. Are you suggesting that said QoL stuff should be a separate charge?

And you dont look at all like a Troll…clever disguise! :sunglasses:

13 Likes

Blizzard has done a lot to expand what addons should be able to do and reduce what they shouldn’t be able to do. They’re pretty great.

2 Likes

a lot of raiders are only good because of those addons that tell them what to do if you remove DBM there will be a lot less raiders…lol.

2 Likes

Is the ability to configure your bars coming in 9.2.5 or 10? If Blizzard keeps making good addons into base features of the game, I might not use addons anymore.

1 Like

base UI improvements are 10.0

2 Likes

I don’t understand how addons have any impact on other players.

8 Likes

9 Likes

Who cares?

Unless against TOS it is just yelling at the wind if you dont like em.

1 Like

Yes addons are cheating, but it is what it is now. We have to live with addons. Thankfully I can enjoy FFXIV without addons and remind myself that Im good at games without assisted programs.

2 Likes

Oh another one of these threads!

Get your popcorn!
:popcorn:

2 Likes

Odeargodinheaven no they are not. :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

its very simple. trashing the experience is literally removing the chance of inclusion because your way is better for you

I don’t even understand what you’re talking about. Nothing you’ve said makes any sense and you don’t even know what you’re talking about.

7 Likes

difference being, I am not new. so take the popcorn to the porch, and have a great evening. your sarcasm is not needed here. be well

Of course it is. There’s nothing wrong with using a tool that’s sanctioned so long as it’s not against the TOS. And it’s not. Your refusal to adapt and use them is your own philosophical choice, which is fine. But you can’t be mad when you actively hinder yourself.

This is where your line of thinking is wrong. Blizzard has already said they design the game with addons in mind off the rip. It’s not unrelated when the developers themselves outright advocate for their use. Get with the times.

No. People do it for free already.

2 Likes

so what is your point? that you are more Pc? i can throw a ball and ride a motorcycle… whoopie for me

Indeed they are. They basically tell you what the boss is going to do, people straight up call out what the boss will do next thanks to them. That is in fact cheating. Not all addons are cheating ofc, stuff like bagnon and UI overhauls are certainly not so, but anything that shouts a noise or tells you when CDs are back up, etc are all cheating because its automating the game.

2 Likes

I’ve been on the porch. How else do you think people are getting the popcorn? I hand it to em at the door!

lol in all seriousness though and jokes asside

No sarcasm, there’s just been so many of these threads already and they normally devolve into a rattled mess after a while.