'Addon' has been blocked from an action only available to the Blizzard UI

This error pops up when using addons, specifically ones that interact with the UI, when clicking or using an action in game. It usually gets solved by a /reload and returns after a loading screen.

I understand that this could easily be shrugged off as an addon error, therefore not relevant to the core game, but it seems that this problem is widespread due to a change in addon access to Blizzard code.

After removing all addons that cause the error, I even made a custom addon to test this. Indeed, it seems that accessing ‘protected’ code creates this error. Unfortunately, it isn’t clear what code is allowed, so I’m sure addon makers are having a tough time.

This has been occuring on the retail servers since the first Dragonflight pre-patch, and all of the addons that now cause the error were previously fine.

If this is an intentional security change, let the addon authors know. If it was unintentional, please fix it. Thank you.

23 Likes

This has always been an issue i’ve had, but usually restricted to trying to use a quest item or upgrade a gear piece. Now its everywhere. And the addons its blaming for me aren’t even ones that interface with that part of the UI. Its silver dragon usually. However since prepatch its all the time. Which really sucks when you’re taking a raid, you run up to the boss, go to hit an ability, and then have to reload your UI before you can do anything. As it turns out your DPS usually don’t like getting hit in the face by kel’thuzad.

8 Likes

You need to identify the addon/s and report it/them to the author/s. Blizzard isn’t going to make an exception for one or two specific addons, and they will have made the function protected for a reason so they’re unlikely to reverse it globally.

I’m unsure whether there’s a changelog for the in-game API, as it’s not something I use. Someone on the UI and Macros forum may know where to find such a thing - official or otherwise.

Almost all addons are being reported with this issue, I talked to some creators and they claimed that it’s an issue related toi new Blizzard GUI, resetting it works for some time until the issue come back.

The new Blizzard GUI also breeaks by itself, sometimes, when you level up, some action bars just moves to coordinate 0/0 even without any loaded addon, it’s clear an issue on the game side.

4 Likes

Happened again, actions bars moved to 0/0 coordinates and produced a LUA error:

Message: Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:631: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'offsetY' (a nil value)
Time: Tue Nov 22 19:25:27 2022
Count: 1
Stack: Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:631: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'offsetY' (a nil value)
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua"]:631: in function `GetBottomAnchoredHeight'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/EditModeUtil.lua"]:39: in function `GetBottomActionBarHeight'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/UIParent.lua"]:3083: in function `UIParentManageFramePositions'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/UIParent.lua"]:2570: in function <Interface/FrameXML/UIParent.lua:2557>
[string "=[C]"]: in function `SetAttribute'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/UIParent.lua"]:3113: in function `UIParent_ManageFramePositions'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/EditModeManager.lua"]:640: in function `UpdateBottomActionBarPositions'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/EditModeManager.lua"]:561: in function `UpdateActionBarPositions'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/EditModeManager.lua"]:890: in function `UpdateLayoutInfo'
[string "@Interface/FrameXML/EditModeManager.lua"]:239: in function <Interface/FrameXML/EditModeManager.lua:231>

Locals: self = MainMenuBar {
 0 = <userdata>
 QuickKeybindRightShadow = Texture {
 }
 UpdateSystemSettingAlwaysShowButtons = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:772
 UpdateMagnetismRegistration = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:506
 GetSnapOffsets = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:411
 UpdateFrameStrata = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/ActionBar.lua:194
 UpdateButtonArt = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:669
 IsFrameAnchoredToMe = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:469
 buttonTemplate = "MainBarActionBarButtonTemplate"
 ShowBase = <function> defined =[C]:-1
 IsShown = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/ActionBar.lua:286
 GetSelectionOffset = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:363
 ResetToDefaultPosition = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:148
 RefreshButtonArt = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:662
 GetScaledSelectionSides = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:355
 SelectSystem = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:534
 buttonArtDirty = false
 GetFrameMagneticEligibility = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:489
 AddLayoutChildren = <function> defined @Interface/SharedXML/LayoutFrame.lua:48
 IsBelowFrame = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:322
 UpdateSystemSettingIconSize = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:714
 SetScaleBase = <function> defined =[C]:-1
 HasActiveChanges = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:244
 GetScaledCenter = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:348
 DoesSettingDisplayValueEqual = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:268
 OnLoad = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/MainMenuBar.lua:6
 UpdateDisplayInfoOptions = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:279
 ActionBarPageNumber = Frame {
 }
 settingDisplayInfoMap = <table> {
 }
 addSystemIndexToName = true
 IsLayoutFrame = <function> defined @Interface/SharedXML/LayoutFrame.lua:36
 DoesSettingValueEqual = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:263
 MarkDirty = <function> defined @Interface/SharedXML/LayoutFrame.lua:90
 ShouldResetSettingsDialogAnchors = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:91
 dirtySettings = <table> {
 }
 UpdateGridLayout = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:648
 IsToTheLeftOfFrame = <function> defined @Interface/FrameXM
1 Like

This bug disabling abilities is a very annoying and very inconsistent one on what causes it, It happens randomly and isn’t happening for any thing specific. It happens purely from zone to zone, I one moment was changing into my wolf spirit on my shaman out in Caverns of Time and the next moment I had gone to the portal room in Stormwind City from the Caverns of time and attempted changing into his wolf spirit again and suddenly gives the error preventing it from activating do to an addon that wasn’t causing issues out in Caverns of Time no more then a couple seconds before.

2 Likes

I have been getting the same errors even if I turn off all addons. It always has the “Message: Interface/FrameXML/EditModeSystemTemplates.lua:631: attempt to perform arithmetic on local ‘offsetY’ (a nil value)” at the start of the lua error.

4 Likes

No update or acknowledgment for this? It appears to be different addons each time, usually it will pop up when I enter Edit Mode but often it’s from using an ability after a loading screen.

Very annoying, and other than this the new UI is basically perfect and I can finally kick ElvUI to the curb.

4 Likes

Getting tired of it. Every time, the error that pops up blames a different addon and asks if I want to disable it. I disable it. Inevitably, the issue recurs and a different addon is blamed. Every time, the LUA error window pops up and nothing else can be done. If I hit the “X” to dismiss the error, the moment I move my mouse afterward the same error pops back up until some other addon is manually disabled. It was TomTom one time, Rarity the next, etc. None of them are out-of-date. Very frustrating.

Don’t tell us the solution is to go back to the default, classic settings with no customization… because if so, what was the point of offering us customization?

4 Likes

Updating the TOC version number doesn’t mean they’ve updated the addon. It’s very easy to get around the date warning but - as you should be well aware by now - not so easy when it comes to actually making an addon work, especially when other addons can interfere.

The solution is to find the actual problem addon and try to get it fixed by the author. Ideally this would be done one-by-one but you can usually save time by doing a binary search: disable half of them and see if it still happens, try half of the “problem” set, and keep going until you’re at just one addon. Note that it could easily be more than one as well, so you may need to repeat the process.

When I encountered this issue shortly after phase 2 it was my tooltip addon - TipTac. It’s since been updated and no longer an issue, but you have to take into consideration that it isn’t necessarily an addon related to what you’re specifically trying to do which can cause problems.

I have same problem, it occuring since dragonflight pre patch, a lot of addons is causing it, some addons is mandatory for druid, that need see 3+ heals procs on party name plates, like Big debuffs or Big buffs, some times even omni bar is causing this error.

I see this happen from every add-on. From DMB to Adibag to Angrier World Quests.

Typing /reload usually resolves it but it comes up everytime I change instances or use a loading screen.

2 Likes

BUMP. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FIX THIS.

Almost every addon is causing this to happen. It’s causing combat to be unplayable.

3 Likes

Still not fixed…

2 Likes

gui coded with a wish budget lol

2 Likes

Is there a bluepost where blizzard are actually actively acknowledging the issue or have a fix we can do?

For me it’s big ones… Healbot and Hydraui

I can’t press keyboard keybinds… I have to manually click…

rant it doesn’t suprise me that Blizzard still have these issues and do nothing… Guess they’re too “busy” doing OTHER THINGS… We all know what I mean…

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, what do the authors of these addons say about the “blocked from an action…” problem? Since Blizzard neither supports nor codes these addons, problems have always (always) been the responsibility of the addon author to fix.

For example, on Healbot and HydraUI, I see absolutely no discussion on their (Github, Discord, Curseforge) about the “Addon has been blocked…” issue. If these two addons were being blocked in some manner by the default WoW UI, wouldn’t their userbases be absolutely blowing up with complaints?

Look, I don’t doubt any of you are getting these errors, but to expect Blizzard to fix the issue…? I don’t think that’s going to get anyone anywhere.

I am just curious why these two addon authors aren’t acknowledging some huge problem, and either addressing it, or just stating, “sorry, but my addon won’t work with WoW until they fix (this, that or the other).”

Same situation with other addons mentioned in this thread: DBM, Adibags, Angrier World Quests, BigBuffs/Debuffs. I’m too lazy to keep going back and back and looking up each addon to find the same result. OmniBar seems to have some discussion of this problem, but there’s no response from the author.

I’m a ridiculous addon addict. I run like sixty of them. I don’t get this error at all. In fact the single Lua error I get to this day is that the addon ‘HideBossFrames’ couldn’t do such-and-such, yet that addons still works fine.

I never get this error from either of those; I run them both. I play about, I dunno, three or four hours a day, every day, and have since DF launch – so we’re talking something like 300 hours of “testing” the functionality of these on my end. Sufficient time for the default UI to “block” actions of these addons if it was going to do so.

After the initial period of a couple weeks where all of the addon authors get their stuff straight, I’ve not had problems with either of these. But if Adibags or DBM were somehow having their actions “blocked” by the default UI, I’d have the problem the same as you do.

Absolutely. That’s the only recourse.

:yellow_square: :green_square: :blue_square: :purple_square: :brown_square: :purple_square: :blue_square: :green_square: :yellow_square:

Check out the numbers on this thread. Some 3,400 views and only seventeen responses, one of which is mine. That should give folks an idea of how “widespread” this is. Less than 0.5% of players, if we take 3,400 players as a fair sample.

Even IF this were a problem that Blizzard was responsible for fixing, 0.5% doesn’t give this problem any weight with which to move up the list of “things we need to fix today.”

Keep /reloading, check in with the addon authors, and think twice about holding your breath for Blizzard to do anything. Sometimes a problem one has, even if it’s dominating their own personal world, just isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things.

I mean, you folks do what you want, obviously. I’m just trying to nip this “Blizz needs to fix it,” line of thinking in the bud, and get you all pointed in a direction that would actually get your problems fixed.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

im getting this game-breaking error every few minutes now

was fixed but then a recent update brought it back

please please fix

3 Likes

That math aint mathing, because if we take all the posts about this, and all the redit posts, we would get like 50% of wows subscriber base, not everyone comes to this exact post lol, iv had this problem since DF launched and this is my first time here

2 Likes

I have to reload my game at least 10 times a day from this error which completely prevents me from using an abilities whatsoever. I noticed this happens with weakauras and omnibar a ton, irreplaceable addons.

1 Like