ActivisionBlizzard buys Square-Enix!

I know the Bloomberg rumors were just shot down via tweets, but these rumors have been going around for at least a month until they were hitting pretty hard last night especially with Bloomberg’s tweet about multiple parties looking to buy Square-Enix.

So what do you think would happen if ActivisionBlizzard buys out Square-Enix? How do you think that would effect both games (more so WoW because this is the WoW Retail Forums after all)? Would you want to have 1 or 2 different subscriptions? All that sorts of fun conspiracy theories of what could happen! Oh and yes, cross overs that you’d love to see.

2 Likes

Yeah, I still want a Classic-only subscription.

The same thing they did with Blizzard: cut back on staff to improve profits, modestly fund the cash-cows, turn game development focus to mobile/eSports, and put the rest on life support.

40 Likes

They wont, but if they did, I would be very sad. SE, or at least FFXIV, is ran by people who know what they are doing and still have a passion for the game and not just a passion for making money. I don’t think the same can really be said about Blizzard.

75 Likes

Which is exactly what they did with Wow.

I don’t think it, I know it.

Semper Fi! :us:

10 Likes

Well, it’s wierd to say the Square Enix knows what they are doing when they are the ones reportedly getting sold.

Businesses have to focus on making money…or you end up in this situation

6 Likes

“Bloomberg has reported today that there is interest from several buyers to acquire Square Enix. However, this report is not based on any announcement by SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS CO., LTD. We do not consider selling off the company or any part of its businesses, nor have we received any offer from any third party to acquire the company or any part of its businesses." - Square Enix

18 Likes

Imagine if Square Enix bought out Activision Blizzard, drained Activision and kept Blizzard and Squaare Enix going.

20 Likes

FF14 is a great game run by competent and very enthusiastic staff.

Square-Enix always made great games… too many to list really. When I was a kid I knew Squaresoft’s logo meant I should but that game. Even the “bad” ones like secret of Evermore were really good, just not Chrono-Trigger good…

And… it’s Japan. They care about their products there. No way Square would let a company like Actiblizzard come in and destroy what they built.

24 Likes

So you want us to imagine a company that doesn’t make a ton of revenue buying out one of the most profitable gaming companies around and purposely killing it?

Interesting

2 Likes

Note that they never actually denied this statement. They just said they (have not/will not) consider selling the company, and they haven’t (yet) received any offers.

I’m not wearing tinfoil here. Press releases are very heavily reviewed. Phrasing is not accidental.

3 Likes

Oh that would be grand!

Though with SE having 3 big time flops recently it’s not hard to see why these rumors were floating around.

2 Likes

How do you know they don’t make a ton of revenue? Do you work for Square Enix as their accountant?

3 Likes

Clearly you didn’t read:

They have 0 products on the Top Video Game revenue listings and Bloomberg is writing articles about the company being sold.

Let’s call it an educated guess

Claire Farron in wow lol

2 Likes

Well, it is a public company so the financials are public. I’m sure game-specific revenue is hidden, of course.

2 Likes

“I’m assuming things because of random listings despite people raving about their products but let me save face and call it an educated guess”.

So basically your opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not when you can’t run dps addons in ff14 or whatever the online one is it’s not. imagine if those people were in charge suddenly. Hate the base ui? too bad! it’s still not getting updated, welcome back to 2004!

Fair enough. They own multiple franchises and people are flocking to their stuff in the same way people buy call of duty so they definitely could have the potential to become big.

As Square says…“nah! We good.”