Achievements in Classic WoW

Watch the video for five seconds. I’ve timestamped it and everything.

8 Likes

I don’t think you understand what. “spurious” means - it’s entirely logical to think it would happen, and would thusly be excluded.

You may disagree with it, but it’s completely logical.

How would other players be able to see what your addon tracks in game?

They wouldn’t - but if the add-on became prevalent it would almost certainly have a public facing database like the Armory started with. Then people will want to see it before they let you do runs etc. It’s exactly how WOTLK began going down that path.

And THAT is the reason I don’t think they would allow the add-on.

1 Like

So you’re talking about two different things.

1. I already addressed this in a different post.

2. You have a problem with addons that create a public database, not a tracking addon.

Actually, it was never the rewards that irked me about the Achievement system. When they added it, I remember dungeon mentality shifting. I would enter as tank or healer and have members of the group insisting on doing specific things to get an Achievement, sometimes bailing on the group if the Achievement was failed even if a boss was downed.

Additionally, it encourages a certain mindset I prefer not to be around - the “look at my achievement” and “we’re not taking you along unless you have this achievement”. Some like it, and Retail is full of it. I’ll be glad to get away from it finally.

The most explanation you’re likely to get is what they said at the BlizzCon panel. (Check out around 34:30 in the video linked here: ***EVERYTHING We Definitively Know about Classic***)
(1) They weren’t added until WotLK, so even if the code is there, the data isn’t.
(2) While it seemed innocuous, it layered on motivations - and vanilla Azeroth is a world that didn’t need those extra motivations.

4 Likes

Woah wooooh WOAH, hold up there. Elitist check’s have been around way before WotLK. Checking gear on Org bank roof was a thing in vanilla. It will be a thing in Classic and will always be a thing.

As far as addons, we don’t know about the armory. If there is armory profiles there will be addons.

IT changes the game.
It adds a motivation to do things and be places where a person would not normally be or be doing.

1 Like

Blizzard is trying to get as close to Vanilla as possible.
Achievements are not part of Vanilla.
I suggest waiting a year into Classic then ask.

1 Like

I’m not talking about 2 different things - I’m literally talking about the same thing. If you have a d database tracking achievements for people, it is a PALTRY task to then summarize it on a public facing database.

I don’t know why you don’t understand that?

Troll thread… destroy it!

1 Like

Did I say anything about gear checks? No - I said achievement checks.

Armory wasn’t around in Vanilla(IIRC), I would think it’s safe to assume it will not be around this time.

Begone Trogg

Yes you are.

Insisting an untrue thing IS true does not make it so.

That’s some backwards thinking right there. The way you word it those people posting up there saying “get a pen and paper” are creating a paradox.

Or, like wanting to ban player created achievements like ironman “because it changes the game”

Exactly. You may want to take note.

You can keep trolling all you want - my original point hasn’t changed, and it’s been succinctly addressing the topic.

I would be shocked if such an add-on was allowed to exist because it would mimic the achievement fiasco we started seeing in WOTLK.

Hope you see how gear checking and achievement checking are one in the same.

Person A sets a bar and expects Player B to meet that bar.

Using the defense of not wanting achievements to be used as a tool for elitism while ignoring all the methods that are still available? No logical.

As far as the armory, just because it was not around in vanilla does not mean there will be none in Classic. The armory is not in game. It does not change the game. Emphasis on the game.

It wasn’t around in during vanilla is an exhausted stance when it’s out side of the game.

No, they’re not.

Asking someone to link the achievement of downing Ragnaros (because that’s what you want to require them to have in order to join) is NOT equivalent to making sure the person has the appropriate gear TO down Rag.

There’s a world of difference there.

2 Likes