Account Suspended for Guild Name (SoD)

I received a 24-hour suspension notice on my account due to a guild name on a SoD server. The guild name has been around on different factions, servers dating back 15+ years (retail and also classic versions). Never any issues. It’s a name that is in no way, shape or form vulgar or derogatory. I’m almost certain the name was reported simply because someone wanted the guild name for themself. I had an interaction early on in SoD who hinted at wanting the guild name - they reported it then too.

If I thought that the guild name was even remotely offensive. I would not even waste my time here. I have appealed the suspension, which is honestly not the reason for the post… it’s only 24-hours. Some insight into the reasoning of the name report would be nice.

Blizzard has always been REactive in name reports. It doesn’t matter that it exists on other realms and game iterations. Someone reported it. It was found to be in violation and you were nailed for it. Perhaps your appeal will be overturned, it’s hard to say.

9 Likes

Agree - and understandable on their part. However, this name in particular has been HIGHLY publicized in the WoW PvP community for over a decade. Including many Blizzcon/AWC players being members in the original guild - which is still around to this day.

/shrug - It would be interesting to hear they (Blizzard) finds the name unfit/inappropriate.

The SFAs don’t man this forum 24/7, but perhaps in the morning when folks get back into the office, they may be able to offer some insight. Keep up with your appeals until they warn you no more will be accepted though. Contrary to the belief that all CS is AI/Bots - the humans who work on such things are not infallible. Sometimes mistakes are made, and that is exactly why we do have the option to appeal such things.

I would just be mindful of if you are the GM of the same named guild on those other realms and iterations, you may want to self-report those other guild master characters if the sanction is upheld. Social sanctions do tend to stack, be they for names or language or the like, but they tend to be generous with players who report themselves before other players get that opportunity.

7 Likes

Arent names blacklisted if there deemed against the rules so no one can use them or is that only players names.

You used it on an RP realm, Voxii.

11 Likes

RPPVP, realm.

Additional Rules for Role Playing Realms

World of Warcraft Role Play (RP) realms are intended to provide players with an added level of immersion in the game world and must avoid being disruptive to the world. Examples of common unacceptable or disruptive RP names include (but are not limited to):

• Non-medieval or non-fantasy names (For example: Slipnslide, Robotman, Discoinferno)
  • Names that reference well known people, characters, brands, places, or icons (For example: Britneyspears, Austinpowers, Mcdonalds, Georgewashington, Newyork)
  • Names that consist of multiple words (For example: Inyourface, Welovebeef, Howareyou, Sixtyseventy)

Blizzard reserves the right to assign a random name to any character violating our RP naming policy. For more severe or repeat violations, we may apply additional penalties to the account.

By these standards, this reasoning still seems like quite a stretch.

Looking at WCL, top 10 guilds on CS as of today… and then hearing that the guild name in question is not RPPVP realm appropriate seems, odd.

Not trying to be argumentative, but having a suspension recorded on my account for something that is clearly left purely to individual interpretation feels bad.

With that said. I’ll move on. Thanks for the help.

I don’t understand. How is the guild name NOVA a violation of the RP naming guidelines?

1 Like

This isn’t the guild name in question. But to be fair, if it were… by these standards it would also be against the rules.

1 Like

If they weren’t reported, Blizzard wouldn’t know about it. Naming enforcement, like most social and communication standards in the ToS and Social Contract, is entirely reactive. GMs are not hunting for violations in-game, let alone out-of-game resources like Warcraft Logs. They depend on good-faith community reporting to call their attention to possible infractions.

Your guild was reported. As far as you can tell, they were not.

5 Likes

Is there a reason you are unable to share the name? If it’s merely afoul of the RP naming guidelines, then it wouldn’t be inappropriate to post here, right? I’m just curious, since NOVA seemed pretty suitable.

If you encounter other names that are not appropriate for the game, or not appropriate for the realm type, please be sure to report them. Blizzard does not currently go hunting for violations. They operate based on reports.

4 Likes

If its inapropriate ingame its inapropriate to post here.

Usually, that would be correct, Darthwraith - but not in this case since the only issue with it was the realm it was on.

11 Likes

Fair point wasnt sure how inapropriate it was one never knows.

It’s already been said that Nova is not the guild name in question.

3 Likes

If visitors want to share information so that we’re able to better assist, that’s fine.

As far as this thread goes though, it’s done and settled. They don’t need to have a reason to not want to share further information… we’re not a gossip club.

2 Likes

It seemed pretty clear from the moderator’s comment that the only objection was the non-RP nature of the name. Well, clear to me anyway.

Ok, ok… I was just curious, since RP naming can be somewhat subjective. No need to be condescending.