Account suspended for 9 days

trying to figure out what happened???
the only thing i could think of is getting reported for banter in lfg…but a 9 day suspension? no warning…nothing?

Did you sign the social contract when you logged in?

You did. I know you did or you couldn’t play.

Your “warning” was in there. And you signed it.

6 Likes

true i did sign it…i didn’t know week long bans were handed out these days for chating though.

Might want to be a little more careful about skirting the rules going forward.

If you’re in LFG, you should be LFGing, not just chatting to chat.

It’s a locked channel for a reason.

When i last played you got muted, and even then it took some doing…you had to basically be a complete jerk for extended periods of time or racist…vulgar…etc… All day long today i saw LFG just being a chat box basically. Everyone is excited to play and talking about things…if bans are being handed out so liberally i may just sit this one out entirely. a mute is one thing…but i have seen actual cheaters/exploiters get less time banned than this.

TLDR version: 9 days seems VERY excessive.

Were not allowed to discuss account suspensions all we should tell u to do is apeal here

I did…but the policy is to only lift a ban if your account is comprimised. Things have changed around here i guess and the new normal is lengthy bans for anything deemed against the social contract.

I will see what they say but i’m not holding my breath.

No they will lift the suspension if a mistake was made no based on a comprimised it can happen and you can keep apealing till they tell you other wise. But like i said this is as far as this discussion will go posting here wont hold any sway over ur apeal.

1 Like

Not generally for a first offense, no. If you have a history of this sort of behavior, then yeah, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to see the penalties escalate.

3 Likes

I think that is no longer the case…the new social contract seems to point towards a change in policy, or at least how they enforce policy.

1 Like

That would seem to be the case. Silences for chat violations weren’t as effective as Blizzard had hoped they might be. So instead of removing a player’s ability to chat, they’re back to removing the ability to play at all.

Now might be a good time to pick up the hints that Blizzard is dropping that this sort of behavior isn’t tolerated and punishments will continue to get harsher.

5 Likes

The social contract isnt new samething u agreed to in the TOS when u first signed up for wow just more enforced.

4 Likes

The language is new…but you are right, there was always a TOU. Just never thought i would see bans that last longer for LFG chatting than for exploiting.

9 days is mild they said the silence could outlast wow since it double every single time.

1 Like

a mute doesn’t prevent you from playing…a ban literally prevents you from loging in. Mutes would double each time but not bans. What im talking about is an actual suspension from my account for 9 days.

Yes, the punishment is harsh enough to make people think before they hit that enter key in chat. The silences didn’t work because people would just jump on Discord and happily chat away about how they could still play.

Judging by the chat today on my server I am not surprised about the 9-day suspension, it was pretty vulgar and others just decided to chime in and make it even worse. Not that hard to walk away you don’t always have to follow the lemmings over the cliff.

6 Likes

You should have gotten an email informing you of the broad category the reason the ban was applied.

I would assume it have more to do with the content of the chat rather than the frequency or length of it.
“Banter” is kind of an innocuous term. Vulgarity and name calling are beyond it.

4 Likes

They shouldn’t. The problem is we live in a time now where there are a lot of people playing video games that get upset and offended over almost everything. You’re not allowed to be you anymore. You have to be a conformed you. It wasn’t like this at all when I first started playing WoW 17 years ago. I’m honestly avoiding as much contact as possible now with other players because when they can simply right click your name and report you for whatever reason its not worth risking your account over.

The original punishment from 2004 to 2016 for chat infractions was a suspension. In 2016 they started trying the Silence penalty. It restricted you from social channels but let you play the game. Silence doubled each time it was applied, with no limit to how long. Suspensions or even permanent account closure were still options, depending on how bad it was.

Sadly, some folks did not learn from Silence penalties so while they are still issued for mild first time offenses, second offenses and such changed months ago, before the “social contract” reminder of the rules. Same rules we have always had.

If your account has ever had a Silence on it or other chat penalty, then yes, a week suspension is the next step. Keep in mind, depending on the nature of the infraction the GM can skip straight to a very long suspension or permanent closure.

If you want to “banter” keep it to your friends who share that sense of humor. Anything in public channels or public groups is around strangers. You are much more likely to be reported.

Just like real life. There is a time and a place for things.

9 Likes

Or you know people could not be so offended by words and realize its not the end of the world if someone says something you don’t like.

2 Likes