Account bound essences would be a net positive for the game

This is, for the most part, very much on topic. The boa uproar from the minority of the community needs to understand that this defined bis essence from the meta is a community failure, not a design one. If you’ve done enough content on your alts to be doing the top content of the game, be it high keys, mythic raiding, 2400+ arenas etc, you have essences literally placed in your bag that will get you through the content. It might not be min/maxed but you can get through. If you want to min/max your alts, for one that’s no longer an alt but a second main at that point, but you should absolutely have to invest the time to make it as powerful.

If you’re not doing that high end content on your alts, none of this is remotely required. It’s really not even in the higher content.

1 Like

The simple answer is that Blizz has a higher potential of making more money through subs and whatnot by having you play longer for attaining whatever it is you want to attain.

This works with damn near all the things we would like to be simpler with good reason. It’s not about us and never was. It’s about appealing to investors.

I guess you’re right, I just feel bad after I learned that the essence is my bis and it’s locked behind a content that I don’t do, and I just dread that I have to do that all over again on any character that I might want to play in the future.

Maybe I’m too fixated on the numbers on raidbot or the charts on raider io, maybe I don’t actually need that specific essence.

Which ironically is completely stupid logic as players pay per month not per minute, and what is really important for profits is player subscription count for the month.

Having a system that encourages current subscribers to play more whilst encouraging less people to actually subscribe and play is counter intuitive.

1 Like

'Cept for Blizzard’s wallet because you don’t need to waste countless time trying to get the same essence levels as everyone else on your alts.

It is kinda surprising that the free essence is one of the strongest. You would think that it would be decent to mediocre because all you have to do is level up your neck to rank 60 to get rank 3. Which you can do in a few days now due to artifact knowledge.

If this was the beginning of the tier is encourage you to keep doing what you’re doing as it’ll be a boost in dps for you but it’s getting nerfed in a few weeks with the patch to deter people from needing an outdated raid to compete. I haven’t done enough of the ptr to really know how well the new essences work at higher ranks, but I was using the uldum as my primary for single target for the execute. As for alts, you really don’t need any of the essences beyond what you would normally get aside from if you’re tanking or healing and those grinds are becoming so easy you can literally go from neutral to revered in a matter of a few weeks of casual play

It is also getting nerfed in like 2 weeks time as well.

Seriously ? Yes, I am the kind of person who has things to do away from the computer.

Enjoy your life.

The problem OP is Blizzard is focusing on artificially extending gameplay time through such grind, hence they don’t make it account wide. Re grinding everything on alt = more game played.

That’s only true in some regions. In other regions, they don’t pay per month.

Can confirm

1 Like

The Grind Sucks

1 Like

Even though it’s dropped to revered in 8.3

1 Like

It’s still awful

1 Like

And leads to character abandonment

1 Like

i have a 120 boost token from the shadowlands prepurchase and i can’t bring myself to make a toon to boost because essences have killed the joy of it for me

2 Likes

Except in this thread where people get on all their alts to post their support for account wide.

I feel ya, i just barely unlocked most of the essences out there. (25 nazjatar kills is surprisingly harder than normal on a pve server with like a whopping 25% horde pop), but during a hop i was able to find a active server and get in some horde vs alliance zerging to get the ess.

1 Like

Isn’t that just China which has some weird system where they don’t pay Blizzard directly anyway?
The major regions all pay monthly.