Ability/Loot Lag on North American Servers Despite Normal Latency

during the times of high delay I notice the CPU usage around 30-40%, but this seems to be about where it sets normally. Closing background applications had a minor improvement on my end but delay still is present.

This is something I’ve noticed happening. It seems to happen more often when there are events that are expected to draw a large number of players to one particular zone (e.g. world boss respawning for the week, the new incursions). It was also something I consistently noticed in Legion when Withered Jim would spawn on Tuesday and the zone would have a noticeable amount of extra lag for the first day or so. Drustvar has also been more prone to this happening.

Observations when it happens:

• Latency in game, both home and world, are in the 50-60 ms range
  • WinMTR does not show anything that catches my eye. Loss % of zero to maybe two packets out of a thousand. Average latency in the single digit to thirties for each hop.
  • Framerate is typically capped except in the city or if a lot (25+) of players are all near one another fighting. Even then it is still smooth.
  • CPU and RAM I have not paid much attention to, but I have noticed CPU usage go up a bit since DX12 became the default. So far I have not seen either go high enough to draw my attention but I’ll keep an eye on it.
  • The only non-Microsoft background applications listed checked in msconfig are two from Nvidia and one from Mozilla, and the latter was listed as stopped.

The lag is typically enough to make the shatter combos of a frost mage fail as the instant flurry does not register as being pressed as the cast of frostbolt is finished. It does not make the game unplayable, but it is enough that when it happens I usually switch to another spec. I’ve tried the command “/console SpellQueueWindow X” with varied values of X to see if it will alleviate the problem, but it has not helped.

Edit: This problem has persisted through the change from one ISP to another.

4 Likes

It was definitely happening last night in Elwynn, and now this morning is not. It seems shards of people can’t handle the peak times for population in areas. It’s likely worse on RP servers since old zones are not supposed to shard and for whatever reason Blizzard doesn’t seem to have a solution outside of splitting players up and not allowing for a true MMORPG experience.

Same exact issues here. Slight delay on all spells, both rogue and other chars. Dont notice as much when im in a dungeon, but open world questing its very bad.

Have deleted cache, diasbled all addons, tweaked some of the graphics settings, nothing helps. Almost acts like server lag.

1 Like

It’s amazing. I took a month and half break, come back to play 8.1 with friends, and the lag is gamebreakingly bad. I’m usually at 30-60ms, but even with the low ping, it’s still taking up to 30 seconds sometimes to build combo points or sell something to a vendor. Back to smite I guess.

Hey there all,

Given the reports here, we suspect this is similar to another issue we’ve seen on the Australian realm. I’ve modified the title to reflect this. To confirm this is the case, can you please report the following for us when it happens? Feel free to report multiple times - we basically need to catch some of you live while it is happening to run some commands and gather data on this.

• Character Experiencing Issue:
  • Realm Character is on:
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc):
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs:

Thanks for reaching out about this.

I don’t know if this is related, but in addition to the lag on abilities even though my latency is 75 ms I am also experiencing my character going in and out of combat every 2-3 seconds. I’m standing still in Proudmoore Keep.

I haven’t gotten the 7 second lag times like some people are getting, but I’m getting a noticeable lag on loot/abilities.

Character: Synwraith
Realm: Lightbringer
Zone: Proudmoore Keep
Server Time: aprox 4:20PM - 4:24PM realm time

Character: Stemavana
Realm: Sen’jin
Zone: Vol’dun
Server time: 6:34 PM

The latency so far has not been as high as when I took another character through a set of quests here, but there has been a slight delay when looting and sometimes casting. I’ll take her into a more heavily populated area.

• Character Experiencing Issue: Dalkx
  • Realm Character is on: Stormrage
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): Voldun
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 7:10-7:30pm or so

Been off and on last couple months (problems seems worse in the last week) having 30-40 ms home/world but having noticeable delays in loot/spellcasting/mounting occurring almost exclusively in outdoor BFA zones. Dungeons/raids/islands/old expansion areas either have no or very little issues.

• Character Experiencing Issue: Chairmanjeff
  • Realm Character is on: Lightning’s Blade
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): Zuldazar
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 8:37 PM

Have also been experiencing this non-stop since returning to the game a couple of days ago. Info as requested:

• Character Experiencing Issue: Azerius
  • Realm Character is on: Stormrage
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): Just about everywhere between Zuldazar and Boralus
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: Multiple times of day (noticed this input/loot lag at 7PM MST and 6AM MST for example)

I’ve been experiencing it since 8.1 dropped… However this weekend it got bad, and tonight it is worse it has been. It is any character, Whisperwind or Dentarg, any zone, all times of the day… It is like my abilities take seconds after hitting the button to actually go off, if they even go off… sometimes due to the lag they don’t. Also having Loot lag…

Tonight I ran a diagnostic tool, in fact I let it run for 30 minutes and the results pretty much don’t change… It seems like for me it is at your level 3… There is pretty much a consistent 40% packet loss there…

https://imgur.com/qZHOPLW

1 Like
  • Character Experiencing Issue: Chairmanjeff
  • Realm Character is on: Lightning’s Blade
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): Tirisgarde Sound
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 11:24 PM

Xizor-Whisperwind

All world zones. But it has gotten significantly worse since I reached BFA questing areas. It goes in and out but it is happening almost all the time. I stress this is happening in world zones only. Instanced areas like raids and dungeons produce zero problems.

My latency hovers around 38 ms home and world even while this is happening. I have been experiencing this on my main since BFA started but it is noticeably worse lately, probably because I’m playing a caster now.

Characters: All
Realm: Korgath
Zones: All but worst in Tirigarde Sound and Nazmir
Server Time: All last evening

Does not occur in Dungeons/Islands/Raids, only the open world.
Exceptionally bad when looting/herbing.

If I had to take a wild guess without knowing much about the technical details, this happens mostly related to herbing/looting in zones that are most frequently farmed for herbs. I’m imagining whatever system handles putting loot from the world into players inventories is causing this issue and slowing the server.

I am glad this thread has been created as this issue has now grown to the point where the game is becoming unplayable. The following is what I have observed along with fellow guild members on multiple servers and while playing various characters.

• Currently while playing the game my abilities can stop responding, resource generation stops, damage to enemies stops and the delays can last upwards of 20 second to 1 minute, causing character death. If selling to a merchant at the time the items will grey but remain in bags until the system corrects.

• When the BfA expansion first launched occasional ability and loot delays were noticed but were minimal in the new expansion zones, more irritating than anything else. Slowly over time the delays and how often they occur have increased, especially with the 8.1 patch.

• It is not limited by server or faction, I play on Greymane, Gilneas and Velen.

• Since 8.1 dropped the issues are now very apparent and seems to occur even with characters outside the expansion zones that I am leveling.

• I am not experiencing similar delays in any other game, MMO or otherwise. I have tried shutting off my antivirus program and background programs/processes, no change or impact.

• My latency ranges from 41 to 46 ms normally and during the issues it does not go up.

Character Experiencing Issue: All Characters - It worsens the longer you play. If you log out to character select it seemed to reset for a short time before 8.1 dropped.

Realm Character is on: All realms with my characters - Greymane, Gilneas and Velen.

Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): All zones, the longer your play session the more it occurs.

Server Time When Issue Occurs: As of 8.1 all times of play, morning or night. Previous to 8.1 it was worse at night.

Cheers,

3 Likes
  • Character Experiencing Issue:
    TheQuixote, SanchoPanza
  • Realm Character is on:
    Staghelm
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc):
    Boralus, instances, loch modan
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs:
    Intermittent since 8.1. “Seems” to happen / get worse when server is busy.

There’s a couple big threads on the topic over at WoWs subreddit.

Long story short:
-This input lag is impacting a lot of people.
-Raids and dungeons are not impacted.
-This was a problem prior to 8.1, but now it is much more widespread. It used to isolated to certain zones. Once you left that zone input lag went away. Now it is affecting multiple world zones simultaneously.

4 Likes
  • Character Experiencing Issue: Heeto, Hetokirin
  • Realm Character is on: stormrage
  • Zone : boralus , underrot, everywhere
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: 11:00 PM ish

This has been happening for weeks. Got a lot worse when the last patch dropped. It’s causing disconnects now. I felt like it may be on my end since my video card needed updating. Nvidia 660 GTX. I have a 1060 Ti on the way

But. It seems like it’s on your side. It has happened in five mans. Haven’t noticed it as bad In raids but there’s a bad problem somewhere

1 Like
  • Character Experiencing Issue: Twii
  • Realm Character is on: Aerie Peak
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): All BFA zones
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: ANytime, doesnt matter when I have been on. Its always bad

Havent been able to play for a few days, not that the game isn’t like able to load or anything, it’s just that I play a rogue…ANd when combopoints dont appear, blade flurry wont activate, and I can’t stealth or grapple in a consistent fashion…What’s the point?