A treatise on the decline of WoW's quality

TLDR in Quoted Section at the end.

Many players nowadays seem to agree that–with some exception–the game as a whole seems to have gone downhill over the years in terms of quality and enjoyability.

A couple of the more popular complaints, particularly in the last few years with the introduction of Mythic Plus, has been the amount of paid carries (M+, Raid, PVP) to get gear and the ease-of-access of these carries causing unrealistic item level expectation and unreliability of competence that comes with someone purchasing achievements instead of having actually done the fight.

Unrealistic item level expectation is demonstrated by posting such as “N Casthe Nathria LFM 210”, and the unreliability of competence is demonstrated by people linking AOTC: Nzoth achievement to get into a Heroic Nzoth, but having no idea how to do the fight.

Many tend to see this problem as simply a community issue and while, to an extent, that may be true, it is worth noting and analyzing the actions and inactions of Blizzard that have only made this game worse.

Back in Warlords of Draenor, there was an interview with one of the developers in regard to the Demonology spec for Warlocks in which the developer in question had stated that the reason for the neglect of the Demonology spec was because that they simply didn’t think people should be playing Demonology. This interview, combined with later interviews, gives us a picture that Blizzard routinely alienates and overpowers a rotation of specs to, as they say it, “force players to try new specs and new classes, giving them a more complete experience of what the game has to offer”. However, we have realized that this is a fluffy say of saying “To keep people playing more often”.

The constant rerolling that is done by the player base compounds the issue caused by paid carries in a way that has been made even more obvious by the structure of the Shadowlands expansion. Players not getting invited to content they don’t outgear was bad enough, but the implementation of the new-and-improved PVP loot system has become a very desirable source of high item level gear. However, there is one unique factor to the PVP system that compounds every issue with paid carries in the worst way possible, the need to fight other players. Currently, the PVP loot system mixed with the paid carry system creates a system where individuals who are just now wanting to get into PVP have to fight 2400–or even rank 1–players who are being paid to do carries to get to even 1600.

Using the above evidence, it is possible to ascertain certain predatory aspects of the business model Blizzard uses in World of Warcraft.

1. The lack of QA testing has created a scenario where players pay Blizzard for the ability to test an obviously incomplete product.
  2. The constant lack of balancing and finished product causes a need for many players to reroll and then either have a slow process getting caught up or use their in-game gold (earned via WoW token or otherwise) to catch up.
  3. Assuming an individual buys WoW tokens with real money to pay for their carries, an individual who purchases an AOTC Denathrius achievement pays Blizzard $80 by current market standards. An individual who buys a +14 key pays Blizzard $40-$60 by current market standards. An individual who buys an 1800 carry pays Blizzard $160 by current market standards.
  4. Real-Money Paid carries in World of Warcraft have always existed, but were always bannable. However, these are not bannable anymore as long as you use Blizzard’s WoW-token as a medium. The carrier no longer gets paid for the Real-Money Carry, Blizzard does.
  5. The above stated fact explains how Blizzard essentially uses the High-End World of Warcraft players (the ones who perform carries) as unpaid, unofficial employees to add to their bottom line. Blizzard ensures the “employment” of these players by combining time-gating content with the introduction of time/gold sinks such as the Caravan Brutosaur to ensure these players will have downtime on wow and something to spend gold on.

At work today, I had a conversation with one of my coworkers who had said that he spent $300 on wow tokens because he wanted to reroll from his DH since it is obvious that Blizzard is going to leave it neglected and he wanted to play something stronger. This discussion prompted a deep dive into the market rates and how much money Blizzard has made on the gameplay of its Higher-End players.

I did 1800 carries for gold during much of BFA and for the entirety of Shadowlands thus far. This combined with Mythic Plus keys and N’zoth kills, over the last year has earned my friends and I a total of approximately 100,000,000 gold. This broke down to roughly 25,000,000 gold for each of us. At the current exchange rate, of 110,000 gold per token, this comes out to each of us having 227 tokens worth of gold. or $4540 per person. Assuming only half of those paid carries used gold from the WoW token, that would mean that over the last year, Blizzard made $2270 off of each of us individually, or $9080 for the year from the whole group.

So every time someone complains about the balance of the game. Every time someone says “its ok, Blizzard will balance the classes next patch”, every time Blizzard promises that its next expansion is gonna be “alt friendly”…

Just remember: No it won’t. They will change just enough to make people reroll and keep the whales paying and the carriers making Blizzard money as unofficial, unpaid Blizzard employees.

91 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Very insightful.
Makes a lot of sense when you put the game’s changes, and structure under the microscope. It’s quite obvious now that I see it about classes never being balanced.

3 Likes

This is going straight into the memory hole/distraction tangent path. Cause we all know people will knick pick things for no reason and nothing lasts on these forums.

Make a video discussing this.

11 Likes

I’m actually starting to become concerned about the state of the economy if people are pulling in this much gold off their carries, and this is coming from somebody who sold hundreds of gold carries in MoP and early WoD.

I’ve always been in firm belief that there’s nothing wrong with gold carries when they’re not absolutely taking over chat channels/group finders - which they have, and it’s been like this for way too long - but when we’ve got people wracking up tens of millions of gold off relatively simple/easy carries, the economy’s eventually going to break - and is Blizzard going to care when they’re making money off of it?
Certainly not.

I have an R1 friend of mine who returned to the game and was sitting at 8 million gold off just getting people 1400 in 2s. 1400 - not even 1800.
Where’s that 8 million going to go? The BMAH? Perhaps, but some of the people I know who got their gold from M+ sales are going straight for Gladiator boosts because the mount is cool. And how much is the price of that going to inflate because of this gold? And how many money token sales is this going to spur on?

It’s getting kind of scary.

My health absolutely tanked this year and I was considering getting a carry here and there for some vanity stuff I could potentially miss while I’m recovering, but with everything that’s happening in regards to this… it’s hard to want to support it. Especially as gold seems to have less value, while also having more “real” value to it. What’s my farmed 7 million to the guy who just bought it? If the whales are going to shell out, stuff’s just going to get even more expensive - is the time investment even worth it anymore? It’d literally be “faster” to just do commissions on the side then convert that money into tokens.

Blizzard can’t stop carries - they’re pretty much a core thing for how people fund raids and PvPers do deserve a way to fund BMAH stuff - but like…
It’s getting bad.

Also, lets not forget the crazy costs of crafted legendaries earlier on. I knew quite a few people who dropped for a token or two just to buy them instead of just leveling crafting. I also had a dude drop a token a while back to buy some rare transmog off me.
It’s uh…
It’s a thing.

12 Likes

^ This… you should make something external where people can share it. Your posts is really good. Don’t let it be eaten by trolls.

5 Likes

This treatise lacks a Table of Contents and an Index, which makes me a sad cow.

/moo :cow:

3 Likes

It IS bad, and the main reason it is bad is because people get ripped off. Their WoW accounts get hacked, their bank accounts and credit cards get hacked, they are at risk of real financial pain.

The fact that it is against Blizzard’s rules is almost a secondary concern. It’s almost like they try to protect players by punishing them in away that is painful for a short term gamewise, while at the same time offering them a safe way to obtain the gold they may want for whatever their game reasons may be.

7 Likes

I had two reactions to this anecdote:

1. JESUS BREASTICLE LOVING CHRIST, WHY!?!?

2. A fool and his money…

Very interesting perspective. I had a friend, impulsive like this. In six months was easily into the thousands on SWTOR for cosmetics, of all things. He then switched to WoW to check it out, and immediately, like, day 3, was spending a few hundred bucks on boosts, playing musical chairs with alts. I tried warning him to try playing the game as normal. Pretty sure he does not play anymore.

1 Like

Tokens are bought as well as sold.

If someone spends $300 on tokens (cost of 15 tokens) then Blizzard only pockets $75 of that money, as a token is only sold when someone else buys it. I haven’t spend a single dollar on Bnet over the past 2 years, I bought the SL Collectors, Sub, Mounts, Toys and pets from the store all with the Token.

Using your example of a gold worth of 227 tokens, Blizzard gets $1135 out of $4540. The rest is used by other players not spending money.

If Blizzard wanted to make money off the token in a true greedy way then you wouldn’t be able to use it to not spend money. Blizzard hasn’t made any money off me in years and money spent on the tokens wasn’t spent by me but by someone else who probably would of bought it anyway.

If anything, the Token is the reason why retail doesn’t suffer from Gold Seller spam that was in Classic (at least when I played it). I can’t remember the last time I got a Gold Seller message in WoW compared to other MMO’s where they are spamming to their hearts content in any major player Hub. I personally think that its the lesser of the two evils, I’d rather a token that I can largely ignore over being whispered constantly by random players\

The only place I really see them is in the LFG, tho that has been reduced by quite a bit since the level restriction.

4 Likes

1: Because he kept getting declined to any reasonable group due to ilvl.
2: $300 is really not much when you’re making $90k a year. He found it more preferable to just spend the money

1 Like

Your logic would hold up if not for the fact that most of the gold ends up being sold via third party websites at discounted rates (i.e. less than $20 per 110k).

Most of that money does not make it back to Blizzard, they just wanna be the first line of profit in the chain.

I mean I get the reason.

I make close to that, though I do get chunked on taxes - but I’m also a miser. I’m also still wading in the casual pool of play (probably) compared to your friend.

Anyway, loved the breakdown from the carry group point of view of your haul for an expansion. Real interesting stuff.

I was expecting a one sentence whine post.

Instead I was presented with a well thought out explanation.

Good Post Watchdawg.

Some of the things you’ve presented are among the reasons why I nowadays only play casually and not get caught up in the progression race that can easily become costly (in both time and money) if one doesn’t watch out.

5 Likes

Huh???

$300 total spent on tokens yet you say they only gained $75. Ummm no that is not how that works. Each token bought is $20. he didn’t say his friend used gold to buy tokens. he said his friend spent $300 on tokens. Doesn’t matter if the tokens sell or not on the AH. Blizzard made $300 on tokens period.

3 Likes

And this happens because of lower cost of living countries running the operation while having a reduced sub fee. We all know of a certain SA country brought up a few times to allow for cheap account creation if you just tick one option when making the account.

And as a more recent example, gally rmt being handled by someone in the balkans.

1 Like

Yes Blizz wants the money but it’s a system that keeps the currency to WoW’s population, which benefits all parties, not a botter and a soon locked account. Blizz also bans for paying for rating boosting and the like.

1 Like

It doesn’t though. It puts the risk of transaction onto the person doing carries to sell the gold for RL cash (someone who likely isnt concerned about losing a dummy account anyway) as opposed to the consumer themselves

just accept this games pay to win carrys are not the issue. its the wow tokens that change this game to pay to win,

3 Likes

But then why would you sell a token to get gold in order to sell at a loss? That doesn’t make sense in any business. They’d have to RMT, to get gold to sell at a loss sounds like a bad business strategy unless there’s something I’m missing?

People were accruing gold to sell before the token became a thing, so why would is suddenly be the cause of the same thing?