A thread in support of addons

I am diagnosed with ADHD mixed type. I’m a high functioning individual meaning that my ADHD also has an impaired executive function issue including working memory issues.

When my meds wear off I struggle to focus because that’s part of what ADHD is. I also sometimes hyperfocus on one thing above all other things, and sometimes I forget things because impaired executive function issues include memory problems.

So yes, for some people it does work that way.

I’d say the same about posting on a character that doesn’t exist in game anymore.

But you know. I’m literally disabled. I’m not hiding behind anything. Due to my problems with attention and working memory among other issues such as vision issues as well.

The API cannot push buttons for you. You clearly don’t code or have any clue what you are talking about.

Addons can collect and change the display nature of data shown in game such as taking the text spam of a combat log and displaying it in a visual way.

They can be combined with timers to help people make decisions on if they should use or hold cooldowns and so raid leaders can tell people to get in and get ready.

And so on.

1 Like

It’s not addons that make the meta . It’s the abilities that are selected and how Blizz decides who gets buffed and who gets nerfed.

Addons are about as much of a factor on the metas as a condom is a factor on a eunuch

1 Like

I guess you’re a Mythic+ 10 capped can’t even do LFR hero? Okay. You don’t get to have an opinion on the tools that KSM, KSH, AotC, and CE raiders use.

I’m not even going to pretend I read all of that, but the following part in your first sentence tells me that you are missing the point;

People aren’t asking for addons to be be removed for the current content that is balanced around them. Obviously it would be a disaster if one day Bliz disabled combat addons in the middle of the current expansion/season.

What many people would like to see is a scenario where blizzard would give us fair warning that combat solving addons will be disabled in future content (like with launch of DF for example), and the new content will then be designed for not having those.

Also, its not a call for the complete removal of all addons. It’s mostly the addons that solve combat mechanics for you, which then require the developer to make increasingly difficult/complex mechanics so people are still challenged while using all these addons, or weakauras in particular.

Addons are tools, like any other. If you had a flat tire, would you eschew a tire iron to gnaw off the lug nuts with your teeth?

Well, I guess you can if you’d like. Just don’t try to ban tire irons.

1 Like

This one used to be a huge problem for female players back in the day. Every time I spoke in Vent, male players in pugs would ask what color underwear I had on. It trained me to never speak to avoid conflict. I wish this addon existed back then, but I’m glad the community isn’t as bad now.

Nothing is going to happen to add ons. Whether you’re for or against it

1 Like

Yes. I’ve endured very uncomfortable sexual harassment from boys half my age as a trans guy whose voice hasn’t changed yet.

It’s super uncomfortable. And other people get it even worse.

This is why the guild I’m in doesn’t tolerate that nonsense. At all.

We rarely welcome pugs but if one yells or creeps we kick them on the spot. No second chances, no mercy.

Actually they are.

They’re trying to change areas of the game they don’t even play or have any knowledge of at all. They’re doing it regardless of the needs of people like me who have disabilities that benefit from the equity that addons bring.

You’re very naive. Blizzard can’t even fix the guild UI they broke four years ago and said they’d fix. They didn’t fix the font options to let us change font face or size larger than 18 which is very tiny in modern resolutions.

And you expect them to make all new encounters non-addon friendly, and to go back and redo every encounter in the game’s existence, and do it right? That will be two raid tiers minimum.

Actually it is.

These don’t exist.

Basically anti-addon activists don’t use addons and it’s not enough for them to have a choice, oh no. They feel the need to take away everyone else’s choices away from them, too.

They’re like the middle aged person who wants to talk to a manager or goes to the HOA to impose restrictions on everyone else because it everyone needs to conform to their values and religion.

3 Likes

I needed an addon to scroll to the bottom of this post.

You can find one on the Chrome or Firefox store for free I’m sure.

Because I like things one way and someone else likes them another :person_shrugging:

I need to put things where I want them, resize them how large I want them, and change them into a format that I want. Do I want a bar timer, just a texture and the time, do I want sound or animation? Blizz can’t give me that level of control, even if they tried to if they miss ONE thing that addons provide then I’ll still prefer the addons.

3 Likes

You’re going to be harassed regardless :laughing: You think that I as a straight cis gendered male have never been harassed by a gay man?

X to doubt.

Hm interesting.
Are you suggesting that at no point in all of human history has a gay male harassed a straight male?

I’m disinclined to believe a level 16 human Hunter sock puppet’s trollish claims about anything.

Of course it’s happened, you just opt not to believe me for whatever reason, guess it doesn’t appeal to your motives.

I’m sorry, if you want to have a discussion with me you’re going to have to post on a character that you actually play instead of a low level sock puppet alt.

I do play this guy though :frowning: I was just on him yesterday.

If you use Adderall (if you’re not on XR you may want to talk to your doctor about that, it definitely helps with the late day crash for me) to treat ADHD you should appreciate the problem where because people write addons that over-simplify raids, Blizzard feels compelled to design even more complicated encounters which in turn encourages mod use even more. I’m not saying addons should go away, but that a very specific form of them are causing problems for people who otherwise don’t want to use them or shouldn’t feel compelled to use them.

I know you are very wrapped up in ensuring you’re only arguing with the biggest of big brains, so I can assure you, this is my main. Shadowlands was a turd, I decided to sit it out. I’ve done everything from super hardcore raiding to ultra-causal play.

The example was that the problem with these plugins is that it reduces the complexity of jobs down to pushing a button. Not pushing a button is all the API won’t do for you.

Phycology is the study of algae. You mean psychology.

2 Likes