A thread in support of addons

I resemble this statement, haha!

DBM does help me keep my head in fights, and WeakAuras for visual reminders. When I’m tunneling heals or damage, I’m going to forget and a simple reminder helps. Yes, I’m aware that there are often in-game audio cues but they get lost among the sounds of combat. I play with sound off during higher content so I can hear calls better and I don’t get overwhelmed. I still have to remember what to do, and what the mechanics are. It’s no different than my GPS yelling at me that my turn’s in 500m.

1 Like

I’m on both XR and I think it’s called immediate relief or something. It comes in generic form and I can’t quite remember off the top of my head what it’s called.

I take XR at 7am. It lasts about 7-8 hours because my body seems to metabolize it fast. Then I take the short acting smaller dose at like 3pm.

Maybe if they increased my XR dose it would last longer. I don’t know.

I don’t see any problem at all with addons. I don’t think they simplify anything. They serve as a reminder for people like me who forget the raid mechanics before the raid leader finishes explaining the whole fight, who may hyperfocus on one or two things like avoiding the bad, spot healing when I’m not tanking, and forget to taunt once in a while. The “taunt now,” is a reminder for when I get distracted.

This is an assumption. Blizzard said they take addons into consideration or something on some dumb streamer interview. That doesn’t really explain how, or what exactly they are keeping in mind. At all.

Addons are literally fine. They’re accessability and quality of life tool that anyone can use. They’re absolutely integral to the game because Blizzard is horrible at ui. They can’t even fix fonts or the guild UI after four years. Four. Years. And you anti-addon activists think that taking away my ability to play the game at all will somehow let you actually get in to a mythic +2 or a normal mode raid?

I’m sick and tired of people who don’t actually do content at all dictating how people who actually play the game play.

As someone who has not logged in for so long their character isn’t even on armory, and clearly hasn’t done content in quite a while you have a very strong opinion about how I shouldn’t be allowed to play a game you don’t even play because some LFR heroes think it will make them get groups better.

If anti-addon activists spent half as much time learning their rotations, making their own groups, and finding a group of friends that aren’t jerks they’d be able to get into those groups.

What’s a plugin?

Me too. That’s why I wrote it. I have made my co-tank wish he’d warn the brown pants at times.

Sometimes I tunnel and forget things and a reminder helps.

Exactly.

2 Likes

Lol really? I just recently returned to the game and didn’t remember dungeon mechanics very well, and over this last week I pushed my key up to timing a 15. Throughout that, I had DBM and weakauras telling me exactly what to do on every encounter. Move out, interrupt, stack, purge, which direction to go in the maze, frontal on the tank, use defensive, honking at me if I stand in something bad, etc etc etc. This is why so many encounters have 5 mechanics happening at once; because if they didn’t they would be laughably easy with all these addons telling you exactly what to do.

I never said anything at all about redoing old encounters. I said new content which they could be designing for it ahead of time anyway. You don’t need addons for old irrelevant content even if it required them at the time. And certainly don’t need them for leveling content difficulty.

All that text and the funny thing is, add-ons aren’t going anywhere.

Telling you what to do is not the same as playing the game for you.

If you don’t like addons, no one is forcing you to use them.

Why are you so obsessed with hurting disabled people and controlling how everyone else plays?

Grats on your single 15. If you hate addons so much, why don’t you get KSM without it? Also AotC without addons.

If they ban all addons like you anti-addon activists want, then no old content will be playable. Therefore all content will have to be redone.

looks at time walking raids, dungeons, chromie time.

I have disabilities which affect my attention, sometimes causes me to hyper focus, and impaired short term memory at times.

Addons are my reasonable accommodations.

What makes you think you have any clue about what I need and don’t need? Are you psychic?

What’s my double planet sign? What’s my moon sign? Star sign? My sun sign? What was the name of my first pet and what breed? Where did my kid brother used to work? What’s my favorite movie? Name three shows I binge watch.

I agree, addons improve accessibility.

I never said any of these things.

I never said addons played the game for you. I said they solve combat mechanics for you. If you were going to walk through a maze but had a map for the maze, would you claim that the map doesn’t solve the maze for you just because you still have to walk through it?

I also never said I hate addons or that I want to do current content without them, when said content is designed to have them.

What I want is for futute content to be designed to not require them in the first place. How am I hurting anyone by saying I want content to be more accessible to everyone without needing to run addons in the first place?

Yes, if the addon picks my character up and carries them through the maze then they’ve solved the maze for me.

I didn’t read that massive wall of text but I do support addons. The game UI has some serious issues with how to displays vital information and these can be fixed thru addons. Sure I will agree that some may have gone a bit too far but if Blizzard really has problem with what a UI is doing, they adjust the code so that feature is no longer possible.

We have very different ideas of what solved means lol.

If you showed me a math problem and I told you the answer, but you still had to write the answer down yourself then that means I didn’t solve it for you? That’s absurd.

If I don’t write the answer down and hand in the test will I fail or pass?

l2 TL:DR …

Agree, keep addons. Ban the game-breaking ones if there even is any and call it good.

I am PRO addons… Not because I like having to use them , but only because Blizzard can not design the game UI correctly… Now I do like Weak Auras only because I like to create my own graphics, but no addon should be required. Yet, because Blizzard devs obviously have never played any other MMOs in their entire life, thus are clueless about game design. We end up having to use them.

1 Like

You say “Solve” like hitting taunt is some sort of problem or puzzle. Or a visual reminder to jump in the hole at x seconds before the debuff expires instead of watching the tiny number on the corner of the screen, that’s really solving a hard puzzle. An addon that changes the bar colors above the mobs so I can see which are on me so I don’t have to tab target constantly to make sure they’re on me is really solving a really hard puzzle.

You’re dramatizing.

If only my working memory issues caused by my disabilities would let me remember the symbols long enough to figure it out without having to recheck them over and over again. God forbid I press a button to record which ones I’ve seen so I don’t forget.

It is not hard for a neurotypical to figure it out. Should we ban all neurotypicals because they have an unfair advantage?

You’re supporting anti-addon activists who want all addons banned. Who are ableists that want to make it impossible for disabled players to play. Who are so clueless and naive that they think blizzard will ever be able to hold a torch to player creations, who think that Blizzard will actually change their encounters if they ban addons.

If you support the streamer anti-addon crusade, regardless of what you say, you support banning all addons and you support excluding all the players with disabilities who rely on addons as accessability tools, which is pretty ableist.

Tell me, mister wants to ban all addons. Why is it that you deserve to force your anti-addon play style choice on everyone else? Why do you think that disabled people like me who have been playing since the beginning don’t deserve to play anymore?

Sure you do, and I’m the president of the United States of America. You want a future where all players have lost the freedom to customize their UI the way they please. You want a future where people like me can’t play at all because you’ve stripped away our accessability tools.

The content is already accessible.

What you want will greatly reduce its accessability.

What you want is to make the content inaccessible to disabled people because a few people whose mommies won’t let them install things on the family computer or are so computer illiterate they can’t figure out how to use an addon. You’re trying to punish us all because a few baddies intentionally gimp themselves.

You’re like the anti-flyer people (who I think are also driven by a streamer crusade) who choose to gimp themselves and it’s not enough for them. They think everyone should be forced to play their way.

You’re also like one of those Apple fans who wants to force everyone to use Apple and ban PCs and Android phones, because everyone should have to use electronics in a way you approve.

Like stop acting like you want to talk to a manager. If you don’t like addons, don’t use them. Stop trying to force your playstyle choices down everyone else’s throats.

1 Like

I aint reading all that g

That’s fine, this discussion is not for you.

Ok, cool :+1: