A thread in support of addons

I am of the belief that a lot of times when Blizzard actually looks here for feedback they just look at the thread name and thread post counts. They may or may not see the responses to those topics disagreeing.

So I decided to post a thread that argues the value of addons and let it accumulate posts.

This sounds like an excuse.

My what is proving the point?

Have you considered joining a guild of people that aren’t trash? I’d offer you a spot in mine but I know from other posts you’ve made that you wouldn’t mesh well with my no yelling no raging LGBT+ majority guild.

I could have sworn someone somewhere said that purses are inaccurate because of dodge. Literally who takes tank avoidance parses seriously? For that matter, who takes healer parses seriously?

Someone who is more focused on tank healing and triage healing (stabilizing people who are low until the aoe heals can top them off) is going to be doing less in the numbers but is still contributing quite a bit to the group success.

Heck, I’m a tank and when I’m not holding threat due to swap mechanics I tend to flash heal and throw sac on people who are low, especially if big aoe has gone off and we have people in danger of dying before they can be topped up.

Good thing if you sign up for Io your main’s score will show on your alt.

Also… I already addressed all this nonsense.

Being in my mid 50s addons like Elvui help me place things in places where it is easier to see things with relative diminishing eye sight .

Addons like DBM help with the same thing .

Addons like details help me to see what I need to do improve my dps .

Other addons like Altoholic and Auctionator have no affect on my game play

As for map ones like handy notes and Tom Tom . Hey they make treasures and such easier to find as well as finding locations in zones that I do online searches for .

However what they don’t do is play the game for me . I need to hit the buttons to make things happen. Addons just help me get the information i need to hit said buttons when I need to .

1 Like

Same.

Part of why I keep bringing up the 18-point font issue is because 18 point font was reasonably large back in 2004 when we were viewing things on a 1024x786 15 inch monitor.

I’m now playing with a 17 inch or a 32 inch monitor (one is laptop, one is desktop) that have a 1920 x 1080 resolution and everything is kind small.

And that combined with my age causes that previously adequate 18 point font not so great.

This is basically what I look like trying to read the 18 point default font text before I switched to elvUI:

To me it’s elvui and reading glasses .

1 Like

I found the just changing the font face in elvUI was sufficient for me I didn’t need to change the size.

1 Like

It kinda boils my blood when people call for a blanket addon ban, just because Twitch “Wow bad” Bald Man, and Youtube “Wow bad” Bald Man regurgitate the same trivial nonsense.

Does the weak aura fiddling and one-shot mechanic stacked on top of one-shot mechanic suck for mythic, wherein you need additional timers and visual prompts from Weak Auras and DBM/BigWigs in order to keep track of everything?

Sure, kinda. But that is entirely a Blzzard-made problem with tailoring raids to the literal 1/100,000 super high end players. If Blizzard wanted to make easier raids, they could. The top end players would clear them in a few hours/days, and this wouldn’t even be an issue to 99.999% of the playerbase.

But Wow’s codability and customization in regards to addons is one of the benefits of the game. The sheer magnitude of things you can do with the game, beyond just raiding related-stuff, is insane.

The ability to end your UI to an insane degree, stuff like transmog addons, banking addons, bag addons, hell, stuff like TRP and MRP for roleplayers.

Anyone advocating for the banning of addons is completely nuts.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone who has come to the forum in support or in opposition to addons has lied about whether they use them.

People who say they use addons seem to do more complex content. Or what content they do they do more seriously.

People who say they don’t use addons haven’t actually done most of the content they claim it provides others with an unfair advantage in. Or at least at as high a level of difficulty or commitment than those who do.

A lot of them tell us they are as good a player as effective a player as people who do. But how would they even know? If you aren’t using a dps addon, you don’t know how much damage you’re doing. You have no way of comparing your performance with that of other players who may or may not use addons.

I think most people don’t use addons. I on my many alts do loads of leveling dungeons, often on low level twinks. Anyone who is looking at their damage meter would see that there was something very odd going on and say something. Seriously, the healer is doing 60% of the damage in the dungeon? The tank is doing 90% of the damage? Only maybe 1 in 20 dungeons does someone whisper me, “…Uh, tank…?”

I think most players who think addons give better players an unfair advantage over them are like the anti-flyers who complain that people who fly have an unfair advantage over them in gathering. “I have chosen to gimp myself by not taking advantage of features available to all, therefore the game should be modified to keep other people from using those features, too.”

Like, no. There should be a word for this behavior pattern, but I’m not sure there is one. Everybody should feel free to coin a neologism (new word) for it.

I think the biggest problem with the mentor program is that it was designed to help rush new players into end game by recruiting players who had done lots of end game. Fulfilling those requirements means that players may not have leveled a character in more than a decade, and may have not been a new player since 2004. Meanwhile, the concept of rushing players to max level so they can jump into end game is flawed. Why, because people they run into while leveling might be a bad influence? What is the possible justification for denying access to the group finder to players sub 50? Given that it had zero effect on group finder advertising, yet they didn’t change it, I assume that it was intended to keep players from meeting other players by grouping up with them.

There’s a lot of old-timey players who think that there’s nothing confusing about the game for new players. They can’t understand why a new player who is learning to move their character across the screen on day 1 isn’t ready to run mythic+ dungeons on day 2. How would those people be kept from telling a new player to git gud, and believing they had done that new player a favor?

I would really love to mentor new players on my server. Just like, adopt them, teach them, show them a good time.

I want to be a big dorky mentor to new players. Like some sort of game dad. A fairy godfather if you will.

1 Like

Blizzard lean on addons too much as a crutch for not developing basics things. Who needs to make mechanical telegraphs when WA devs will do it for them? :stuck_out_tongue:

No need to apologize.

Job well done.

That’s interesting. Phycology is fascinating.

i ain’t going to lie i definitely didn’t read the whole post i just support addons all i got to say.

1 Like

A lot of people do. At least you put some thought into it and make salient points. (I didn’t read it all but what I did I agree with. Hope you didn’t say something awful after that :wink:).

:heart: addons.

FFXIV could use a few hundred of them

What video clip which one?

I mean that’s a novel I’m not reading, but addons aren’t going anywhere. I wouldn’t worry so much. It’s OK. Blizz will never get it together enough to have a complete UI which actually does what it needs to & addons are to essential to WoW culture whether raiding, mogging, RP, or auction house goblinging. You’ll be OK.

Way to long didn’t read, just wanted you to know.

Currently I’m not using any addons because I’m not doing content that I need them. When I do the content that addons help with I download them.

I will post on my main. Carried, hard. Get rid of rating and io if addons are allowed. As far as I am concerned if a player cannot do content up to a certain level then that is where they are capped. Stop looking for third party carries to get you through and then holding it above everyone’s head. By the way I don’t watch streamers and don’t use addons because they are bad for the game. It is why we have this garbage meta that changes on a dime with tuning. Addons limit mistakes and capitalize on others mistakes. This makes playing on an alt very very easy

This game needs addons untill Blizzard makes massive improvements to the over all flow of the game. Some addons are so basic and needed that the game can not function without it, at any level let alone anything high rated.

1 Like

The problem is that you’re not entitled to clear all available content, and addons shouldn’t exist as a crutch for a ‘skill issue.’ And hiding behind people who are legitimately disabled in one way or another is frankly pathetic. If people with cerebral palsy can figure out how to play WoW with their chin you can learn how to not stand in bad things.

Your character is supposed to be a reflection of your own skill level. Not your ability to download mods, addons and plugins. It’s a much bigger problem in FFXIV because Japanese law expressly forbids Square Enix from packaging their games with spyware (Blizzard has no such scruples, mind you) but it’s the same problem. People are so pathetic that they’ll pay someone to go do the hardest content in the game for them. People will download plugins to effectively bot the hardest encounters like a 99% parser. The end user would never be able to perform to that level without their crutches, but they feel entitled to using it because they feel entitled to clearing the content even if it undermines everything they’re doing.

Also, that’s not how ADHD works.