A recent lawsuit accuses the WoW team of being part of a "frat boy culture" - does that impact the story?

It’s blizzard hun. A brick wall has more self awareness than they do. I mean, these are the same people that thought sexual harassment was the cool thing to do after all.

6 Likes

Women of color at Blizzard were treated worse than others, too, having to document days they were off from work, among other things.

3 Likes

It;s…with everything that has come out about blizzards work environment and how the women there were treated….it still dumbfounds me that people would legit argue with me and Baal about some of the blatant racist tropes in the game.

6 Likes

Well, they’ll accuse you of being a racist just for seeing racist tropes. This site is like 8chan’s spawn.

2 Likes

It’s full of Right Wingers who like to bury their head in the sand and pretend that racism in game and IRL is something that the rest of us just decided to make up 5 yrs ago.

3 Likes

I did that once myself, actually. Someone made a thread a long time ago, saying that Brokers were racist, and I, as an Egyptian-American, dismissed it. I now realize it was a mistake. To be fair, I still don’t know if they are. But, I should’ve payed more attention.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of sketchy stuff in game, blizzard apparently likes to piss on everyone’s culture. It feels like they dug up every racist trope about the more popular cultures and just threw them in game and hoped no one would notice

1 Like

Disagree on those two things. At least around early communities and the very beginning.
There are very clear Babylonian influences and it makes sense, a good number of Isralites where had for a time to live Babylon.

Christian influences for Mitrhas seem not that likley.

There were some, mostly minor influences I believe.

The Persian Empire is where Zoroastrianism originated not the Babylonian Empire nor the Akkadian and Sumerian Empires.

If Zoroastrianism has any ties to Judaism it is probably linked to it through the Book of Daniel’s account where Daniel survived the Lion’s Den resulting in a massive overturn of Persian Religion(whatever it was) while getting Daniel’s Rivals fed to the Lions.

If anything Zoroastrianism is a Split-off of Judaism(which split off from Canaanite Religion which alongside Egyptian Religion split off from Akkadian Religion which split off from Sumerian Religion) just like Christianity!

I only wrote Babylonian. Which again, makes sense their culture had some influence on people they forced to live in a very different location under their rule.

Until Cyrus the great defeated Babylon and was even named as a messiah.

Edit: If I’m not mistaken there was even a schism in Judaism because of this influence after the forcefully resettled group returned back and it’s still ongoing to this day.

This however seems like a rather strange idea.
The roots of Zoroastrianism are thought to lie in a common prehistoric Indo-Iranian religious system dating back to the early 2nd millennium BCE

If every single Broker was Bad™, they would be.

But thankfully they are Mostly Good/Neutral and only 2 Cartels Bad and 1 Cartel Grey.

It’s like for example, what characters have Turbans™ in game:

• Some minor Human NPCs in Stormwind, Dalaran, and Darkmoon Fair
  • Some twilight’s hammer NPCs
  • The pygmy boss in Tolvir and other Pygmies (also the name pygmy itself lol)
  • Al’akir and some Air Elementals otherwise

But the net majority of the Turban NPCs are Bad/Evil.

Which is uh, unfortunate.

3 Likes

They’re not.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the Wastewanders, and their “Caliph” being Arab-based. But, they fixed that in BfA, didn’t they?

1 Like

The Wastewanders were given some lore in 8.3 which is nice, though it’s unfortunate that they weren’t given more of a spotlight.

4 Likes

Alexander the Great conqured Persia in 334 BC, he converted to Zoroastrianism. He lived and died in Babylon. He brought the persian mysteries back to Greece, and Egypt through his general and historian, Ptolemy I Soter, who became the first Ptolemic Pharoh. Not only that, but he founded the Library of Alexandria and the Ptolemic mysteries. His line would eventually, 300 years later, be wiped out by Octavian in 30 BC.

The Greeks, Egyptians and Romans had a lot of Eastern influences after Alexander the Great. It’s not a stretch to suggest Early Catholicism had Persian and East Asian influences, as well as pagan influences. While Rome was expanding into Europe, Greece was expanding into Persia and East Asia, around the supposed time of Jesus and the emergence of Christianity there was a lot of discussion and practice of new religious ideologies, and old ones too. Egyptian mysteries were brought back due to the Ptolemic dynasty.

Ancient Rome was a cultural melting pot.

There’s a credible historian called Luther H. Martin who wrote a textbooks on Hellenistic and Roman mythology, and the one I used to make the claim about the connection is his book, Roman Mithraism and Christianity. He also has another informative book called Studies in Hellenistic Religions. If I could give a book rec, it would be this one.

But don’t take a historian’s word for it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and with that I’m probably going to take a forum hiatus for a while. Bye.

Which leads to interesting questions considering Daniel’s account…

It’s obvious that the Hebrew Word for King has been used in reference to the Regent of the Throne of Babylon Belshazzar despite him not taking the Babylonian word for King.

Incidentally Belshazzar’s father Nabonidus has multiple theorized origins with some even theorizing that he is Nebuchadnezzar himself(which means that Nebuchadnezzar got offed alongside his Son who was basically the Acting King of Babylon at the time)!

As for Darius: He claimed the throne from Cyrus’s Son and yet the Book of Daniel claims he beforehand ruled over Babylon after the Persians seized the Kingdom which would imply he was Vassal King of Babylon during Cyrus’s reign over Persia.

1 Like

Also turbans are for some reason mostly used to show something “Arabic” looking. Even though there is way more to it and it’s such a strange trope and often looking rather different.

3 Likes

Turbans historically speaking were used by Israelites…

The Keffiyeh is the Arabian Headwear.

1 Like

Isn’t there a religious sect in India that also wear them? They get confused for Muslims a lot by ignorant people. For the love of me I can’t remember their name.

HALP!

2 Likes