A rambling, possibly incoherent diatribe trying to analyze BFA's story

So, I want to take a look at BFA story from a perspective of just that… a story. Is It objectively bad? I’m going to use the elements proposed by the University Writing Center to analyze this question, and see if, removed from the fact that its an MMO, can Battle of Azeroth stand on its own?

The elements we’ll look at are: context, setting, characters, plot, literary devices, and themes. And we’re going to knock out the first right now, context. Obviously, BFA is a story written for the medium of an MMORPG, and this is where it hits its first hurdle. In order to give us an antagonist, they essentially take half their playerbase and say “you’re the bad guy now.” Now, maybe this would have worked, had it not been done already in Mists of Pandaria. And if the players had been given more of a choice. Yes, it is more realistic to be powerless to intercede if one’s ruler decides to do something, but this is also a game. And people play games to have fun.

So, let’s step aside from Context, and delve into setting. We won’t look at Azeroth as a whole, so much as look at the main settings for this story, Kul’Tiras and Zandalar. I’ve played both sides, and I think here is where BFA shines. Both locales are distinct and memorable. Zandalar borrows heavily from Central Mexican tribal iconography, or “Mayaincatec” to quite TVTropes. And then sprinkle in dinosaurs and voodoo tropes. Granted, it’s nothing wholly original, the Lizardmen of Warhammer for one come to mind, but they blend enough in for it to be distinct.

Kul’Tiras, on the other hand, almost invokes a mish-mash of ancient Ireland, contemporary new England, and a sprinkling of pirates. It lacks the vibrancy of Zandalar, but makes up for it with enough Lovecraftian inspiration to give all the zones a sense of foreboding dread. Every quest, every moment I spend there makes me feel uneasy, in a good way. So setting get’s a kudos, good job.

Next up is Ploy. Oh dear… here’s where we start to see the seams. So, plot summed up is Conflict, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and resolution. Now we don’t have all the story yet, but lets take a look at what we have.

First, the conflict. Well, that’s easy. Sylvanas Windrunner starts a pre-emptive war, believing conflict to be inevitable. This provokes the Alliance, causing the Battle of Azeroth to begin. Both sides seeks allies in the Kul’Tirans and Zandalar respectively. So far so good. We’re never really given a good reason for why Sylvanas believe war to be inevitable, when the newly crowned King of Stormwind was once an avowed pacifist. But, we can chalk it up to her paranoia. Its out next stop, however, where I feel BFA really goes off the rails.

Characters.

Hoo boy. Let’s start with the most important character: the protagonist. Well… this is a problem. Who’s the protagonist? The Player character? Anduin? Tyrande? Jaina? We have a jumble of characters, and few of them have anything resembling clear motive. Anduin is a young king drawn into a war he didn’t want. Clean enough. Tyrande wants to avenger her people… by doing a ritual we’ve never been told or even hinted as to existing. Ummm… okay, that’s kinda poor, but at least we know what she wants. Jaina seems gung ho about taking out the Horde, but once the Alliance has won a decisive victory she…. Wants to leave them time to grieve? What? And then there’s us, everyone’s favorite world-saving murderhobos.

Now, on the other side. The Antagonist. Sylvanas Windrunner. And good lord she is AWFUL. Her plans fail on even the basic logistical levels, her motives make little sense, and her entire motivation falls about on even a cursory level. Her supporting characters are little better. Nathanos is a fail on every conceivable level, Saurfang wants “his” horde back, and plans to do that… going to the Alliance? Baine is disgusted at what Sylvanas is doing but… umm… what did he do?

The entire storyline seems to have been written, and the characters plugged in to play their parts, without any regard to their motivations.

Well… let’s look at literary devices. Allusions… maybe there’s something there. The name “war of Thorns” seems almost to invoke the real life War of the Roses. But…. Well… even a cursory look at the real-life events turns up no parallels to the story. Kul’tiras seems to try and evoke images of Innsmouth. But again, the horror is downplayed, only turning up and, unlike in Lovecraft’s works, is always beaten back by the heroes.

What about Foils? Well, we have some… kind of. Saurfang’s obsession with honor would seem to make him a foil to Sylvanas, who seemingly cares little for the concept. And sylvanas takes decisive, if ill-advised steps, whereas Saurfang is wracked with indecision. So the Horde managed to get something right….

Shame the Alliance doesn’t.

Our leader is the king, Anduin Wrynn. At first, it would seem that Jaina would be set up as his foil. After all, she was eager to dismantle the Horde, but as stated previously, she goes back on that. While it arguably showed growth on her part, it was done in a rather nonsensical way. One could say Genn Greymane is Anduin’s foil. But again, he seems too soft on the Horde to truly serve that role and contrast Anduin’s desire for peace.

Foreshadowing. It may be a bit too early to tell, but there does seem to be seeds planted for future developments. The Old God presence in Stormsong, for one. Talanji’s ascension after the death of her father and her family now being tied to Bwonsamdi for one. I can’t really judge this until we see more of BFA play out.

And lets wrap up with Themes. Yes, I’m skipping irony and symbolism, but let’s face it, WoW has always been light on symbols, and I would personally object to irony used as a tool of critique. And I’m rambling enough as is. So… thtmes. What is the theme of BfA? It deals mostly in themes of authority, war, and death. Sylvanas as the antagonist prompts us to ask, is it just to rebel against a leader if you do not feel she has your people’s best interests at heart?

The problem is, however, that Sylvanas isn’t really relatable. Yes, she wishes to avoid death, but she does things that are so monstrous that it’s hard to identify with her. What person would knowingly burn innocent civilians in order to wage a pre-emptive war, when in the end your goal is ultimately self-preservation? In the end, there’s too big of a dissonance there. She wants to live forever, and yet she sets herself up as Azeroth’s biggest target.

The war itself, so central to the conflict, is never really played up for how horrible war can be. We never see the toll it takes on people outside of a few isolated incidents. Yes, we see Talanji’s sadness at her father’s death. But what of the soldiers? There’s a reason why the Wrathgate is still talked about, it showed the horror of the Forsaken’s chemical weapons. You saw terror, panic, and death among the rank and file soldiers, not just among the ruling elite. You almost never see this in BFA. Its mostly dashing adventures and daring battles.

The theme of death is still ongoing, but again, it’s already sabotaged by Sylvanas’s own actions. She wishes to avoid death, by provoking those who could kill her. Talanji’s father seeks to avoid death by bargaining with it. Jaina, despite the Alliance’s victory, wants to give their enemies time to deal with the death of their king… and everyone else just kind of goes with it. And… that’s about it.

So… in my opinion… so far BFA isn’t an awful story. But it is a bad story. It has huge, glaring flaws, primarily in its characters and their motivations. Its themes, when explored, are muddled by those weak motivations. Now, it could easily all turn around, but Blizzard’s writers have an uphill battle in doing so.

20 Likes

The main problem I have is that even a better telling of this story still leaves me unmotivated given my role in it. As you analysis indicates, the protagonist is the Alliance, even if we can’t pinpoint one characters, while the Horde is the antagonist. And it is isn’t even “interesting shades of grey” antagonist. It has left the Horde players villains in their own story.

This one thing has made all the difference. Even all the other flaws would be sufferable if not for that.

31 Likes

I disagree.
i actually understand the characters perfectly.

i understand their motivations, what drives them and who they are.
in the case of alliance characters, tyrande wants blood, as pretty much every night elf.
Anduin wants world peace
jaina is struggling to not become like her father
genn is finally letting revenge go and focusing more in his kingdom and family.
as for other alliance leaders they either want bring sylvanas/the horde to justice, or just want to be leaved alone.

Sylvanas don’t want to die or just wants to conquer the world.
Varok don’t want unnecessary bloodshed.
baine is trying to preserve values in the horde
while other horde characters are just trying to survive the alliance retaliation or be under the alliance’s mercy.

That is not the problem.
The characters don’t have weak motivations.
is the PLAYERS who do.

if you ask for opinions, you will find that faction war by itself is not exactly popular.
on top of that we have that this plotline so far is exactly the same as the mop plot.

We already did this.
and let’s not forget that we just defeated the biggest enemy of the franchise “united”.
we literally worked together for the greater good.

we had little reason to re-start a war.

And then we have this problem.
blizzard KNEW that they needed to sell this war story and decided to escalate to conflict.

The problem is, they escalated way too much
We have 2 high-quality videos of the deed, in cold blood, by the leader of one of the playables faction.
There is no mistake, there was no accident.

So we end up in this stupid position where if the alliance don’t demand anything less that the head in pikes of every horde citizen in revenge then it makes them look like idiots for “forgiving” genocide.
THAT is the problem.

Blizzard has taken every problem that each faction has with faction war, doubled it down, and making it WORSE.

it was already bad in mop when the alliance didn’t asked anything in return for theramore, and now we are supposed to accept that “well it was just sylvanas xd” and just forgetting about it?

why this has happened? because blizzard is scared.
Blizzard is scared to make the alliance go “villain”. (and the reason why,by example jaina flip flops)
Blizzard doesn’t know or want to write the alliance.
That is why they created the high king title, it mean less narrative effort.
it means that the alliance can’t have their much needed internal conflict.

TL’DR:
the real problem here is teldrassil,how it was portrayed, all current narrative problems are attributed to that. and i blame the useless blizzard writers for it.
the characters AREN’T the problem when your problem is something far more greater than that, and that is, the motivation of PLAYERS
Thanks for reading.

12 Likes

TBH … BfA’s story doesn’t bother me as much as it seems to many others. I understand many of the primary story beats enough to have a pretty good idea where I believe the story is headed (and its an interesting place if I’m close to right).

I generally can suss out character motivations and justifications for why certain characters do/act the way they do. I actually like Saurfang’s story (sorry I do); the idea that even the most experienced and self assured characters can become lost once in a while is not a bad one (and I’ve seen no evidence that Anduin gave him his current plan of action, just allowed for it). Hell, I’m even partial to the prospect that we might FINALLY see tangible consequences to the Faction Conflict (a story-thread I’m not secretive about disliking, in part because of the playerbase’s expectations that it change nothing, and things stay “even”; just like the PvP it was created to facilitate on a story level).

However … while I will not touch on mechanical issues of BfA, beyond that they fall into the same issues (the asterisk) of all the things I claim to actually like (or understand) above. The execution of BfA so far has been very poor, and in some ways execution is THE MOST important element to doing anything (intent will only take you so far). BfA (especially 8.0, but also much of 8.1) screams of an expansion pushed out the door far before it was ready to meet some quarterly earnings quota; and there were very serious consequences for that (even if I do see Blizz trying to fix things). 8.2 has a LOT riding on it …

People in here trying to defend Steve Blightcaller and Christie Golden’s fanfic tier writing for Alliance and Horde is hilarious. Do you people seriously just want more of the Adventures of Perfect Boy Anduin and Nathanos Danuser’s Waifu?

9 Likes

Know what’s even more hilarious?

The delusional people who actually believe the sorry state the story is a result due solely to writers like Christie Golden and Steve Danuser.

10 Likes

Everything gets approved by them. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest of some really good story from undiscovered talent is getting squashed by those two.

The issue winds up being internal politics as much as it is the fanfic tier writing. They wanted a story that encourages PvP because they want WoW PvP to become an esport. I also do not hold the story team responsible for the horror that is the leveling experiance, We all know the plotholes left by replacing the Quilboar with the Horde in alliance questing. The story team isn’t good by any stretch of the imagination, but they seem to be bad players with a bad hand. Their in over their heads, but the concept of this expansion is just as bad as the writing.

I highly doubt Teldrassil was their decision, nor the Killing of Rastakhan, though i do blame them for the Ruination of Zul, the stupidity of the Night Warrior Plot, Sylvanas being made stupid evil, Jaina ordering a retreat because she is sad, and the Killing of Zelling.

2 Likes

One thing about this approach is that sometimes things that work well as stories to be consumed (i.e. books or movies) don’t work as well when they’re meant to be participated in (games). And it gets even harder when players are supposed to participate in both sides of the story. For example, it’s almost impossible to have a single protagonist in that case and still satisfy both sides.

I know singling out Christie Golden is generally frowned upon in this forum, but I do wonder if the fact that they’ve just brought in someone who’s used to writing stories for consumption is affecting the overall story.

There was similar thread, which I contributed to, a few weeks ago: BFA Better as a book/movie?

6 Likes

Christe Golden isn’t even high up in the writing team, she literally just got the job mid-Legion, and even then, all she does is write the books and provide the same anount of ideas as any of the other writers. She holds no more weight than anyone else other than her reputation for writing WoW novels.

4 Likes

Well, the biggest problem with the Saufang story (generally and from a story telling perspective) is that we are rehashing the MoP plot.

Another problem is that his “honor” was so poorly written. I mean, the fact that he struck before seeing someone’s back was turned apparently trumps saving the warchief he is pledge to and implementing the war strategy he agreed to. But when it came to ending the war by killing Anduin, he has no problem betraying those he was pledge to fight along side. But this seems to be part of the villain bat, where honor=“anything the Alliance does or wants”. The main problem there is the worry that this is how the writers actually see the Horde in general.

7 Likes

She has become the scapegoat (can you accidentally be a scapegoat?) for the sins of Blizzard in general.

6 Likes

When you go on to your Twitter and start espousing the dumbest crap you can think of like “Anduin is an important character because he combats toxic masculinity” you’re asking to be a target. And I don’t believe for a second she brought on to just be “another writer” she has clout and I guarantee her word has more weight than most.

You want to object to her view on how she things WOW should be written? Go ahead. But blaming her for the BfA plot is over-the-top.

3 Likes

Anduin’s death would not have ended the war. Odds are without Andiun the war would have become worse in terms of civilian casualties.

Do you really see Tyrande (given her current story) or Genn backing down because Anduin fell. Did the Alliance falter when Anduin’s namesake went down to Doomhammer?

Too little consideration is given to Saurfang preferring Andiun to defeat Sylvanas cause he would be the most benevolent towards a defeated horde’s civilian population. Saurfang certainly wouldn’t want Tyrande (now) or Genn calling the shots. Plus Anduin has had a good relationship with Baine which would provide a way forward from the smoldering ashes of a huge mistake (Teldrassil).

Also Saurfang has been down this road before. He knows what lies at the end (what happened to Outlands).

But I agree that it has been written poorly and badly shown. Also the confrontation with the Dark Ranger was not the best place to leave his story until the next patch. If he is indeed heading to find Thrall in Outlands then it should have had the confrontation be the Dark Ranger trying to head him off at the portal.

3 Likes

I don’t blame her for all of BfA. I blame her for the garbage that is the Alliance story. I blame Steve Blightcaller for Horde.

Sorry I meant Nathanos Danuser. I get his name confused with his repurposed self insert all time.

1 Like

You can argue about what would “really have happened” but, at least in IMO, the dialog in the prison cell only makes sense if Anduin and Saufang agreed it would have ended the war. And, in any case, the reason he cites “not stopping Sylvanas” is still a betrayal of the commitment he made when he agreed to fight alongside his fellow Horde characters.

We can disagree on that cause neither Tyrande nor Genn was given a chance to chime in on it, let alone Alleria and Turaylon who have been in that position before.

And there are no good choices anymore for Horde leaders. Teldrassil saw to that. All the fumbling antics we have had from the likes of Saurfang and Baine along with the general ignoring of everything from Lor’themar shows that. Heck Gallywix is the only horde leader behaving like his character hasn’t been either hijacked or locked out of the story and we have gotten exactly what should be expected from him: comedy and profits.

The problem isn’t that Saurfang’s and Anduin’s agreement proves what would have happened (they don’t). Its that Saurfang’s actions are predicated on what he believes to be true. If the agrees that he could have ended the war (or even achieved a great victory) for the side he he was honor bound to fight for, then he has turned his back on his oaths and his fellow warriors.

1 Like

I think the problem stems from the entire narrative, Horde and Alliance, being written from the Alliance’s point of view.

Sylvanas seems like a mustache-twirling villain to both while she should be much more nuanced to Horde players. There should be some sort of sympathetic side to her crusade if you’re a Horde player -there isn’t, which makes her look like the Antagonist. She shouldn’t be to the horde, and is the primary reason I hate this narrative, it’s very obviously a Garrosh 2.0/MoP 2.0 rehash, which sucks.

Saurfang only cares about his honor when it’s sympathetic towards the Alliance, he wouldn’t leave the stockades for the Horde champion or his allies he claims to care about so much… but he’ll do it for Anduin. Again, trash storytelling if you’re a horde player in a faction war expansion.

Baine might as well be an Alliance hero at this point, he’s willing to be dishonorable (yes, going behind your warchiefs back to undermine her instead of confronting her is dishonorable), bend himself over backwards and betray his people for the Alliance - trash storytelling if you’re horde.

But the worst part, during questing the narrative goes out of it’s way to make you feel bad as a horde player for fighting the Alliance, and tries it’s best to make killing forsaken (THEY ARE HORDE) satisfying. Literally the most egregious part of the narrative; leaves you feeling uninspired and unmotivated unless you’re one of the blue horde players who enjoys that.

12 Likes