A Pet Peeve of Mine

I know they’ve always done this and it probably won’t ever change but why do I have to buy whatever expansion it is when I’m already paying to play the game?

I can’t get past Level 60 or do any of the dragonflight stuff cuz I “don’t have it”. Like gang it’s already there, it’s programmed in, just let me run it. Why I gotta drop more for an expansion when I’m already paying to play?

All that shoud be included with the subscription. It’d be like a gym membership with a caveat that says you can’t use certain equipment unless you pay the gym more. Makes no sense.

Mb for whining, it’s just something I’ve always hated about WOW.

1 Like

Most gyms charge more for things like classes and trainers. Some like Planet Fitness charge more to use some equipment like massage and tanning beds.

However, the expansion is more like the annual fee that gyms charge in addition to your monthly subscription.

5 Likes

I’ve heard of players who play WoW without the modern expansion, but I’ve never met one, before. I thought those types of players would be the ones who focus on classic with no interest in retail.

Do you primarily play retail WoW?

2 Likes

Will be a grind but I have gotten expansions through WoW tokens. Does help I can tank pugs. :pick::robot:

2 Likes

This is more like a car and less like a gym. You can buy a car but you still have to pay for gas and maintenance on it. Now you can use public transport (buy to play or free to play games) but those come with their own set of cost.

2 Likes

I’ve considered that.

1 Like

not really.

you used to have to buy the base game.
the base game is now free.

you used to have to buy EVERY expansion to play the most recent content.
now you only need to buy the most recent expansion to play the most recent content.

4 Likes

I didn’t start playing seriously until Cataclysm so whatever they did before then, I admit I have little to no knowledge of. I’m picking the game up again recently after not playing since BFA was new so I’m hella confused about how things work now. It looks so much different.

Quite simply, it cost money to create new content.

It’s better now imho than it used to be.

$15 a month gets you ALL content up to and including Shadowlands. Once The War Within drops, that $15 a month will (or should, going off how it works now) include everything including Dragonflight.

This also gets you access to Classic and all its variants.

Battle Chests, I think that’s what they were called?

1 Like

I’m gonna take back what I originally said because it’s pointless.

Because they’re based in California.

1 Like

i am happy about this imagine installing 5-10 disk lol

2 Likes

When you buy an expansion your funding the development of the content.

Subscriptions fund the on-going overhead to keep the lights on.

The subscription fee hasn’t gone up in 20 years. Just going off CPI, the monthly subscription today which is still $14.99. If adjusted for inflation from 2004, would be $25 a month.

The basic expansion at $40 would be selling today for $60.

It always baffles me when people complain about the cost of playing an MMORPG when everything else around us has risen in price significantly but the price to play a game like WoW today is the same as it was 20 years ago.

2 Likes

Are you referring to the $15 monthly fee that has not increased in 19 years?

1 Like

I joined end of legion and this was still a thing!
it was a total of like 100 bucks to get all up to current and some gametime.

I feel your pain I was trying to explain the concepts of inflation and basic economics because people can grasp how a CE costs $180 today but (using an example in that thread) the cataclysm CE (14 years ago) only cost $80 or whatever.

Mind blown how people think the game industry is immune to price increases. Yet the same people acknowledge the increases at the grocery store , gas stations, cost of real estate, cars etc. lol

It costs money to make new content, so the expansion costs money, and it costs money to keep the servers maintained and the game running “smooth”, so the monthly sub.

1 Like

i think the expansions are too much money myself with paying a subscription, should be 30$ not 65$ (Canadian) for the basic package.

“Why do I have to pay for stuff at Target, it’s just sitting there already”

4 Likes

“the game is already out bro, you already made it, let me just play it”

Let’s not get silly folks. I get what the OP is saying and a lot of people that don’t play WoW say the same thing.

Most games are a one and done purchase but on the same token most games don’t have thousands on staff and rooms full of servers.

In California.

1 Like