A Pet Peeve of Mine

People like the OP don’t realize that fact is a bigger deal than they would think.

1 Like

Youre paying for maintenance. I hope you dont pvp.

MMORPGs aren’t like most games.

And this isn’t the only one that charged for expansions.

California has nothing to do with anything.

They can’t compare MMORPGs to any other genre of games, especially those you buy once and then get maybe a few paid DLCs before you get II, III, or no follow up at all. Development and balancing for an MMO goes far beyond the requirements you need to think about for single player games like that. The subscription pays for all the tech maintenance and constantly evolving tools needed to make matchmaking and coexistent persistence work.

The two aren’t comparable on scale or complexity.

Mmmmnope.

Pretty much every AAA MMO or SP game with DLC is payed for. That is why when a game gives DLC for free it’s such a big damn deal.

What a game calls a DLC is highly subjective too. Some DLCs for some games are the equivalent of a full blown game release while others are hardly anything at all.

The whole complaints about subscription based games that release content on a regular 8 to 12 week cycle or monthly is amusing to me in the era of battle passes where people literally pay a subscription for a period of time to get extra cosmetic rewards for doing the same thing they would be doing “playing” the game anyways instead of actually getting new content each BP.

1 Like

Well yeah I know but if you read the rest of my post I said that this is a view a lot of people had that don’t play WoW.

And the California thing was just me poking fun at the fact it’s expensive as hell to live in that state.

This goes for you two too:

Stop snipping my post and read the entire thing. People that don’t play WoW don’t get this concept of continuing to pay for a game.

I’m not bothered by that. 15 is fair. I’m bothered with still having to buy each new expansion. It’s getting older than Bernie Sanders at this point.

Actually most games (I can’t think of one that doesn’t), that have an endless loop of endgame content, have expansions that typically require money to purchase. It costs money to spend years developing content. $15/mo isn’t enough. If you have ever rented server space your typically going to pay minimum $10/no on most sites. That’s pretty much what your paying for now is storage space for your toons and “to keep the lights on”.

The subscription is just a fee to access and use game servers. That’s it.

A lot of blood, sweat, tears, time and money go into the maticulous creation of each expansion and it’s not reasonable to expect them for free. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Why don’t they just charge a monthly fee of $19.99 for people who can’t afford to buy expansions all at once? Blizz would make MORE money that way. Many people would just pay the extra $5 then have to come up with $50 all at once.

And as long as you pay the $19.99 every month you never have to pay for expansions.

1 Like

They rake in Billions, they probably could. That being said tho, you’re not the first to make this point. It is a valid point and I’ll probably drop the 49.99 on DF/TWW sometime next month.

I still enjoy this game. I didn’t mean to imply I didn’t. It’s just like “Damn I gotta buy another one?”

Yeah I said that:

From WoD up until a few months ago, I did not purchase any expansions. To be fair, I didn’t play a lot during that time either( but I did from time to time). I played strictly retail but if I was in a current expansion during that time, it was a free trial weekend or a pre-patch event.

I left during MoP (angry about the announced flight changes) and decided not to pay for an expansion until flight returned in some fashion.

Technically, I didn’t exactly pay for DF either… it was free with my TWW pre-sale. But that is splitting hairs a bit. I bought into TWW because it appears that Blizzard’s war on flight was finally over.

1 Like

What kind of activities were you participating in when you didn’t have the modern expansion?

Other people, ugh!

I had a loose system to it.

First I would do Loremaster questing and exploration with this character, followed by whatever would get me Pathfinder.

Then I leveled up a few alts… anywhere from 3 to 6 typically.

Then I hit the reputation grinds and professions (and maxed out what I could)… then moved on to transmog farming in solo instances. Sometimes I would have to go back an expansion or two for raids.

The last month of any given expansion usually has some sort of power leveling mechanic, so I would usually spend some time getting all of my characters leveled to maximum (about a dozen characters).

Then repeat the process when the next expansion becomes free with a sub.

2 Likes