A New Doomguard (RP)

From the desk of Commander Lithliana Galebraver:

To the people of the Horde and beyond:

There comes time in the life of every guild or faction when great change is needed. Things become ingrained; problems become easier to ignore than to solve; enthusiasm and passion for works and messages dwindles … or intensifies for the worse. Some of you may know the Doomguard. Some may remember us. Some may despise us.

Indeed, it has come to my attention that the image of the Doomguard in the public eye does not match up with our true ideals. We have had a long, turbulent history, and many changes have occurred throughout the years. I write this now to settle the record, and let the world know that the Doomguard is committed to a different vision, a different message than the one some of you may be familiar with.

In our infancy, our unit’s only message was protection of the innocent. We were conceived to protect the healers of Da Doctas at their open Clinic, and to protect the various Orc and Tauren villages that were being destroyed in the Barrens by Alliance incursions. Our early history was as a shield - a barrier between the peoples indigenous to Kalimdor and those who would do them harm on their home soil.

After the Pandaria campaign, our unit had a notable surge in membership. These were great years for us in those terms. However, they were also the beginning of a much bigger problem. With more people to look after, our leadership was overwhelmed, and we soon ran into stumbling blocks. Those with good intentions faltered.

In the years that followed, during the Draenor campaign, we seemed to lose sight of our original purpose. We became almost indistinguishable from the Horde military. We became aggressive, often assaulting Stormwind or simply causing trouble for our own amusement. On our home turf, we lashed out at those guilds that we had once called friends, souring their feelings toward us. We harbored war criminals because they were our friends. We brutalized our prisoners.

I cannot excuse any of this. All I can offer is my sincerest, deepest remorse, and a promise that, under my leadership, the Doomguard will never slip into those ways again.

The first step on that path to change came with danger and controversy. Around half a year ago, as Commander, I oversaw the removal of our unit from any attachment to the Horde military. We were never intended to become entwined with the military or the Horde government. We are not the city guard. We do not answer to the Warchief. In the past, we have fought against those governing bodies when we saw injustices done.

We did so during the tyranny of Garrosh Hellscream. He forcibly disbanded us for our dissent, and we burned down his prison camps and freed innocents. I only wish we could have done more under the tyranny of Sylvanas Windrunner. By the time the Doomguard cut ties with her, it was too late for us to take any meaningful action. For that, I will never forgive myself. She has hurt not only the Horde but countless innocents abroad immeasurably, and I regret any connection we ever had to her.

And that is why, through all of this, I have come to realize that more decisive action must be taken, before it is too late again. The Doomguard must swiftly and firmly return to their original vision: the protection of the Horde’s people.

Please note that I did not say “the protection of the Horde.” The Horde’s governing bodies have been proven corrupt on many occasions, and we will not have any part of it. The Horde as a faction began as a way for oppressed peoples to come together under one banner. Like the Doomguard, it lost its way, twisted into something that has oppressed the people it once swore to protect.

The people of the Horde need someone on their side. The children, the farmers, the common folk, the neutral allies; and our brothers and sisters abroad, should they need us. The Doomguard’s intent is to serve these people - not any leader or governing body.

Our new mission echoes our first mission. We are ready to help those in need. If you find yourself in need of protection, we can be contracted to do so, just like how we protect the weekly Clinic. We will be reaching out to other guilds and units with the hope of forming coalitions, and we can provide more than swords and feet on the ground - food, medicine, supplies, schooling and housing for refugees … we have the means and connections to help, so please don’t hesitate to utilize us.

We are ready and willing to aid the people however we can. If you find yourself in need, or if our message resonates with you and you would like to join us, you can contact any of the following officers:

Commander Lithliana Galebraver
War Caller Fenryth
Spymaster Leryia Duskwind
Ambassador Ondolemar Galebraver

Thank you for your time.

Signed,
Commander Lithliana Galebraver

((OOC:

Hey guys - I would also like to add an OOC portion to his manifesto, though it won’t be as wordy. I’m not looking to take the podium, just apologize. A handful of years ago, the DG became kind of a nuisance to not only our friends on Alliance side but also to our friends in the Horde, and for that, I’m sorry. There was a lot of conflict and butting heads.

Ever since I became GM a couple years ago, I’ve been kind of paralyzed and unsure of how to fix stuff. But the letter above is true OOC in a lot of respects, because we were supposed to be a constructive part of the community and yet we only became more insular and guarded. A lot of that was me being protective of the unit, but I see now that it had the opposite effect. I was wrong and I apologize.

The truth is, the people who were left behind when leadership shifted - a lot of us are really shy rather than aloof, and some of us have little context as to why the Doomguard is disliked. People who have been around longer remember that we’ve honestly earned that in a lot of ways. But we’d like to start a new chapter and do better, and we have plans laid out to reconnect with our sister guilds Hordeside as well as Allyside. These plans should be put into effect toward the middle or end of the month, after the Spring Festival finishes.

I know and understand that trust is going to have to be earned back. I and my officers are really looking forward to taking an active role in the CC/SoE community again, for the better. :slight_smile:

-Lili (Doomguard) / Lilla (AAMS)

P.S. Here are OOC contacts for officers if you’d like to reach out. Keep in mind that mainly Lithliana (me, GM) and Ondolemar (Ambassador) are going to be in charge of guild outreach going forward.

In-game mail Hordeside:
Lithliana-CenarionCircle
Fenryth-SistersofElune
Ondolemar-CenarionCircle
Leryia-SistersofElune

Bnet:
Lithliana - RoseOfLuna#1613
Fenryth - veilfire#11280
Ondolemar - JillthRipper#11122
Leryia - DeathDealer#1267

Discord:
Lithliana - Lithliana#9108
Fenryth - dead thing#1601
Ondolemar - jilltheripper#6900
Leryia - Xeratox#8648 ))

5 Likes

((OOC: Here to serve! And answer questions! <3))

((OOC: Also, if anyone is interested in recruitment, or has any further questions, please feel free to ask here or at the above places. Thank you!))

2 Likes

Keelath offered the missive to his wife to read over.

“Well, you certainly have a way of choosing allies,” she said once she had finished.

“I had felt something in them,” said Keelath defensively. “They were my enemies while I served Sylvanas, but how they conducted themselves, even in the face of that…it resonated.”

“There are many sin’dorei among them. Maybe you feel at home?”

Keelath shook his head. “I smelled fear and hatred in their officers. But also the grit to push past it. A true warrior isn’t the one who never makes mistakes or does no wrong. It’s the ones who have the honor to admit so, and learn from it–as they are trying to do.”

Mirium looked up at him, thoughtful. Her thoughts showed behind her eyes: how she had struggled while Keelath had served another entity as loyally as the Doomguard: Sylvanas and her elites. Did he still cling to that old loyalty now? Or had he finally recognized the evil Sylvanas had been?

Keelath wasn’t ready to answer that question yet. He chose another. “Most of my life, I have acted on what I know: what’s right in front of me.”

“You’re a truthful man,” Mirium said gently. This was hard for him, who had never taken much interest in feelings or “vibes”. He stumbled through his emotions. “It’s hard for truthful men to see that there are dishonest people in this world, who would use and lie to you simply for being…”

“It was often you who acted off feelings in our partnership,” broke in Keelath. “I didn’t understand it.”

“You let me have my feelings, though,” Mirium said, trying to follow the thought. “You gave me the benefit of the doubt, until I could identify in words what was troubling me.”

“And your words often held wisdom.” He paused, wincing.

“Keelath…”

“I decided to do what you do. To trust a feeling over a thought. It had first led me to Sylvanas, but it wasn’t her that really influenced me. I know that…now. It was that the Forsaken needed help. Many had called them criminals or monsters. They needed someone to speak and fight for them. I thought it was Sylvanas’ real cause. I carried her words upon my sword, but they were…wrong. I…hurt…innocents, because of my blindness.”

“Love,” Mirium murmured.

“What?”

“I love you,” said Mirium quickly, as if to cover a thought, but then she blinked, remembering who it was she was talking to. She took a breath, soothing her anxiety, to tell him what had really spurred the remark. “You did it out of love.”

“Love misplaced,” Keelath growled grimly.

“Maybe,” said Mirium. “Not for the Forsaken. You’re right that they need someone to speak for them. Be an example for them.”

“I’m only one man. I have little interest in leading charges again. Not when my charges so often lead off a cliff.” Ah. There was the admission he had been agonizing over. Mirium tilted her head.

“It’s who you are.”

Keelath was silent, dismayed.

“I don’t think it as bad as you believe. You made a mistake, but had the honor to admit it. And what I learned from watching you is that a person’s true character wins out through the lies, the hurt, the mistakes.”

“I suppose what I am asking, is if I am blinding myself again with wishful thinking,” Keelath said with a strained huff of frost.

Mirium touched his hand, honoring him for speaking the painful admission. “The Doomguard will probably make mistakes, because they are people too. But if they are able to come to the conclusion I saw in the missive, then they will come to see future mistakes as just that, correcting them as they can.”

“You don’t believe it’s possible these are empty words spoken simply to gain more followers?” Keelath’s voice belied his anxiety. But anxiety of what? Mirium probed him.

“Fear prompts a crowd to form,” she said slowly. “To rally around one leader in vehemence, to defend a cause they think attacked.”

“Yes…”

“So, if that’s true and they are afraid, what would you tell them?”

Keelath hesitated. “To not be–afraid, that is. To have faith true character will endure–prove itself. That the mistakes made will not be final, as long as they have the will to go on. That going on–that there are no shortcuts to honesty with one’s self, or the rest of the world.” His stumbles started to clear, the words coming with more surety. “They will have to live through that process, and be ready to accept the pain of it, but if they do, that is where the honor–the healing–is.”

Mirium nodded. “You seem to have thought this through.”

“Yes, but I don’t trust it. My judgement has been poor as of late.” He huffed painfully again.

In response, Mirium pushed the missive back in his hand. “Then I’d say the same to you, dalah’surfal, with one more piece in there. I’m not afraid of you, so you do not have to be afraid of yourself. Love. Serve. Lead by example. It’s what you do. Believe me, watching you for centuries.”

Keelath smiled faintly, his shoulders dropping as the tension drained from them. He put one hand on hers, then hesitated again, his worries still clinging to him. “But if this is only their pride speaking–”

“Then it is born from fear, not malice,” Mirium said firmly. “Put it aside.”

The rest of the anxiety left him, and Keelath leaned down to kiss her cheek, run out of words.

Mirium breathed out slowly, words in the exhale, as she took his other hand and lifted it to his chest in a fist; a salute. "Just be, loyal warrior.

“Just be, and the rest will follow…you’ll see…”

1 Like

A message is delivered from the Nighthold of Suramar, sealed with the emblem of a noble house:

To Lithliana Galebraver, commander of the Doomguard, greetings.

I have seen your missive regarding the new mission you have undertaken. I applaud you for having the courage to speak the truth, to speak it publicly, and to make clear how you intend to go forward. I have seen you and your people at work often enough at Da Doctas’ clinic in Orgrimmar, and your devotion to their protection is admirable. There are many who could benefit from your example.

Like you, I have seen regular, hard-working people downtrodden by people who claim to be our leaders or those who, like me, belong to the nobility. Too often, in Suramar and beyond, I have seen that our rulers, be they a Grand Magistrix or a Warchief, have equated cruelty with leadership, and the nobility often forget how to truly be noble. I have always endeavored to not only avoid being lumped in with those who stomp on the “lower class”, but to ensure that regular working people are treated not as slaves or simple servants, but as people. It heartens me to know that the true heart of the Horde - the people who simply seek to live their lives in a world in chaos - is not forgotten, especially not by such honorable guardians as yourself and your Doomguard.

If there is anything I can offer - limited though my resources be - to ensure the success of your new mission, I offer my unconditional support.

Yours respectfully,
Lord Randarel Vendross

3 Likes

-A simple letter with a red wax seal marked with a single “N”-

Commander Lithliana Galebraver,

Clarity is often found in stillness; wise words from a wise Warchief. In this momentary stillness our world has found itself in - teetering in a strange place between war and an assuredly expected danger looming on our horizon - we have been granted a moment of clarity that we would be remiss to let pass over us. It is upon this stage that we have the opportunity and responsibility to play out the hopefully final act of this most grievous theater that has taken hold of our senses.

Yet the final curtain call need not be preceded by further conflict, for the curtain is stained enough with the blood of both our peoples. Should we all seek to take our final bows together - hand-in-hand as we have once before - I am confident that unification of our great coalitions will be closer to our grasp then ever was.

Though our swords have been sheathed, our people - Horde and Alliance - are beset on all sides by the inequities of our most selfish nature. Our recent bloodshed has left the masses of our great lands in grave peril from an array of domestic troubles.

Will you meet me in Ratchet at your earliest convenience to discuss our so graciously received, yet assuredly undeserved, moment of clarity?

I consider it my duty - not as a citizen of the Alliance - but as a denizen of our wounded world to assume one of the many mantles of peace and healing.

Such a mantle is no easy burden and I fear that I cannot bear it alone.

In peace,

Foravin Nash
Stormwind Union

2 Likes

(( OOC: Here’s a good opportunity to throw out ideas for new events and make connections! Invitation to an Open Forum (RP, also OOC!) ))