A Message From Warcraft

Blizzard probably called him and said they’d write him a cheque if they could name drop him and pretend he’s working for them.

4 Likes

Blizzard Ws are becoming less rare. You love to see it.

Glad to see him back on the team.

3 Likes

I think the reaction would’ve been just as positive had some previously unrelated renowned videogame loremaster/storyteller been hired on, but good luck doing that with where Blizzard’s reputation sits currently…

is that the guy that went away to make board games?
what happened heh

*also why use a grey azeroth picture like its a bad dream/omen?

if its a happy news this was the wrong picture to use lol

1 Like

That’s great news! Happy to have him back. :dracthyr_heart:

6 Likes

Does he know it isn’t a graphic design studio this time??? :smiley:
Tell him we need to focus on open world solo/pug content instead of locked away raids gate kept by abusive people so no one wants to ever play and learn them besides a small percentage.

5 Likes

He was among the first to call out the frattish way they had designed the game previously by giving that anecdote about his daughter being confused why Alextrasza was wearing a bikini.

I never got the impression that he had much to do with day-to-day staff management, so it’s entirely possible that he didn’t really know what was going on, or wasn’t in a position to do anything about it.

8 Likes

They’ve used it as their “generic warcraft announcement” image for a while now, but I agree that it feels oddly ominous and should probably be replaced.

4 Likes

Happy days!

10 Likes

This was unexpected. I figured he’d be busy with his new company to do anything more than voice act every now and then. Perhaps this is part of the overarching story across multiple expansions goal they have now.

I think, at the very least, he probably was at least aware of it. He was a founding member and at the very top of the food chain. I find it incredibly hard to believe he had absolutely no clue. It’s also highly unlikely given the time he would have been spending with his fellows (especially in the early days when they weren’t as big) he didn’t get any notions of skeevy behavior. Heck even being an executive he would of at least had to be made aware of things from HR like if there was SA complaints filed.

So do I think he was responsible? No. Do I think he knew every little nitty gritty detail? Possibly but probably not. Was he at least aware of the toxic culture and the skeeviness of some folks? Almost definitely.

4 Likes

its 2022 post covid. board games was a risky bet. who has friends to play boardgames with, like in real life… lol :wink: we could be gaming instead!

Because Chris Metzen worked directly with, and picked as his successor, one of the worst human beings involved in the mess that was Blizzard’s culture.

5 Likes

Funny thing, had it been virtual board games and they had a product out in time for the pandemic it probably would’ve been at least moderately successful.

1 Like

Maybe. Nobody can really say for certain.

But the way those lawsuits illustrated the workplace culture at Blizzard, it certainly seemed too pervasive to ignore. Coupled with a handful of employees who worked underneath Metzen during this time who expressed their disappointment in him not acting on these concerns, it certainly seems like he was at the very least aware.

At the very least, we can ascertain that Metzen is apologetic and regretful about what happened as indicated by his apology last year, so this reintroduction to the WoW universe could be a way for him to set it right, should he actually bear some blame.

4 Likes

Can you say Renaissance Period of WoW? Cause I can.

4 Likes

Finally some good news.

4 Likes

Wait what about the boardgame company or whatever

Glad to see him come back, hop it doesn’t put too much stress on him

2 Likes

As much as I love Metzen… Not even he can save this train wreck of a company.

2 Likes