A lot of Night Elves on Story forum :)

Really Liking the Attention the Night Elve are getting Lately! For the Kaldorei!

What is your Favorite Night Elf story/event in Warcraft? Could be books, WC3 or WoW.

My Favoite event was the initial strike against the orcs in WC3… that set the tone for me!

6 Likes

Not really into the “elf” sorts that appeals to me altogether since it cringes me most that they’re given the archetype to always be fair, graceful, god-like, stoic etc.,

Night Elf lore however (specifically the Kal’dorei’s associated with Tyrande/Cenarius) they do really stand out amongst all elves are just are very enigmatic, intimidating, vengeful, a haunting beauty and just are far different than Quel’Dorei High Elves.

I was very devastated and angered to what happened to Darnassus, and in my mind whilst in the scenario I ensured I slew every horde in Undercity and Siege of Zandalar as a repay for that.

5 Likes

Personally, one of my favorite dungeons is the Well of Eternity. I love the narrative there, and fighting alongside Tyrande and the Stormrage brothers honestly really tickled the lore nerd in me. Further than that, even though the leadup was rather gruesome, the Darkshore Warfront on Alliance side is actually really well done in my opinion. Giant druidic spells, Worgen and Kaldorei working in tandem, and MAIEV!!

Also, I’m sorry that the first two people who replied to this were Male Human Paladins.

10 Likes

I live in fear of the Night Elf clan every single day. Say one wrong thing and they start jumping you! :weary: :joy:

5 Likes

Lol say what you want :stuck_out_tongue:

Not every one likes them as much as others, that’s okay :ok_hand:

2 Likes

giggles

<<10char>>

I was going to be a bit trolly, and claim it is the Gnombus the X-Terminator, with his quest text of:

So these night elves send out a desperate call for help to us, goes something like this:

Gnombus changes the pitch of his voice to sound like a woman.

“Please come help us! The big, mean Horde has goblins! Oh, we can’t handle goblins! They pull our hair and make us cry!”

Right, anyway, so here we are.

The first thing I did was upgrade their aerial defenses with some of my new sniper guns. Problem is, they don’t use guns. Do yourself a favor and lend 'em a hand, eh? Find 'em south of here.

But the OP is so genuine, I’ll be honest. It’s totally the Terror of Darkshore cinematic. I probably squee’d (in a suitably manly fashion (that’s a lie)).

I definitely did dust off my long neglected druid.

5 Likes

I was joking lol, I’m honestly a big fan of the night elves.

I still remember the first time I heard Nightsong. I was SHOOK.

2 Likes

For me, nothing’s been as great as the “world” tour of Kalimdor with the Cataclysm revamp of the old world. Though it was depressing seeing the sad state the Cataclysm had left the Night Elves in, actually questing from Darkshore to Ashenvale to Stonetalon with a little detour to the Overgrowth Camp then to Feralas through Thousand Needles and then back up to Felwood and Winterspring and then eventually, after a small trip to Vashj’ir, making it to Mount Hyjal and the Molten Front and Firelands story after was the best escalation of storylines ever.

It was just nonstop Night Elves taking Kalimdor back, recovering after such devastation and coming out stronger than ever, and definitely gave me more pride in the Night Elf people.

Edit: The following is my advice for anyone who wants to level a Night Elf:

My favorite lore for Night Elves was actually Cataclysm through Mists of Pandaria.

If you’ve done Teldrassil’s quests, I recommend the following zones as well, as it gives great feeling of a continuous adventure trying to make it up to Nordrassil:

Teldrassil, Darkshore, Ashenvale, Stonetalon (with a detour in the middle to visit Naralex in the Overgrowth in the Southern Barrens), Feralas (skip Desolace, quest gameplay wise that zone is so terrible that it’s not worth doing despite the tidbits of Night Elf lore here and there in it), Silithus (skipping Thousand Needles since despite the Night Elf Sentinels helping the Tauren take back Freewind Post the zone is mostly zany antics of little Night Elf lore importance), Felwood, Winterspring, *Mount Hyjal.

*There’s nothing really lore important in Outland for Night Elves despite the Cenarion Expedition being there, so, unless you’re leveling a character, narratively wise it’s best to skip it instead of going back in time to the outdate gameplay quests there. For that matter, while I would recommend a Worgen for their Gilneas starting zone, which is relevant to Night Elves, I would not recommend Azuremyst Isle and Bloodmyst Isle despite them actually having a nice amount of Night Elf lore in them because their gameplay is really terrible. In Northrend, Grizzly Hills is worth doing for the Vordrassil quests, but also doesn’t really fit in with the narrative flow above.

I also strongly recommend doing the Molten Front quests and dailies, as well as Heroic Firelands. Also the Well of Eternity dungeon.

Following up after Mount Hyjal I recommend Vashj’ir (my favorite zone of all time), Jade Forest, Valley of the Four Winds, and Krasarang Wilds with the culmination wrapping up at Stoneplow village.

Draenor is largely skippable, despite Starfall Outpost and the cameos by the Druids of the Talon.

Then in Legion the zones to do are Azsuna and Val’sharah, and obviously the Emerald Nightmare raid. You’ll also get the most out of Legion if you’re playing a druid.

11 Likes

This part gave me chills.

I… actually have Nightsong as my ringtone/alarm. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

My favorite story will probably always be the Illidan novel because I got into WoW mostly in Burning Crusade. I fairly liked the Mists of Pandaria minor storyline about an old elf trying to help re-secure their immortality.

2 Likes

I’m always going to love the Eternity’s End cutscene. Watching the spirits of Hyjal rise up and destroy Archimonde is badass. I hope we can get a call back to it with Sylvanas where Malfurion summons the dead of Teldrassil to incapacipate her in a wispy tornado when she tries to smoke out after being cornered before vaporizing her.

8 Likes

Warcraft: War of the Ancients Trilogy was amazing and I really love it. I really liked the night elves in WC3 . Always played with them.
I really like Illidan and Tyrande. Still thinking that Tyrande choose the wrong brother :joy:(my opinion)

1 Like

I was going to post my thoughts but it seems Amadis has the same feelings about leveling up a Night elf!

As a cherry ontop of it if Tyrande is involved I’d be heads on doing it! (ALP doesn’t exist for me :expressionless: )

2 Likes

I remember creating my first character back in 2004, a Night Elf hunter (whom I still play, btw).

I remember the sense of wonder stepping into a new world and game, seeing the grandeur of Teldrassil. WoW was my first MMO, and I explored everywhere.

Wandering here, wandering there, and getting lost in that barrow mound full of Furbolgs. Then finally coming across Darnassus, my first sight being that Ancient of War and geeking out a little.

I spent so much time around there, longer than some players I suspect. Adventuring in Darkshore and then Ashenvale, following the priestess and her hunt for the Scythe of Elune that ultimately leads you to Darkshire through the Barrens and Stranglethorn Vale.

So many fond memories…

8 Likes

I think for me one of my favorite nelf moments was the death of Ysera and most of Val’sharah in general. Tyrande’s line regarding Ysera, calling her the “most beautiful creature I’ve ever known” with such sadness in her voice, just brought rushing back all the images of ethereal, primal elves at home in the forests of Ashenvale and Teldrassil, connecting with the Ancients, dryads, wisps, all these fantastical creatures that I fell in love with when I was a kid.

I think that kind of tragedy suits the night elves, and the broader story, far better than the tragedy of Teldrassil. When it came to Ysera’s death, she almost represented all that the night elves had already lost and sacrificed in such a tiny amount of time compared to their broader history: their immortality, swathes of their old territories and resources, the sanctity of their borders.

While sacrificing their isolationism was perhaps a better choice for the sake of the world, I think the moment Ysera falls brings that question back into the fore really brutally: “Is all this suffering worth it?” And the answer comes on the night elves’ own terms, from Elune herself, giving us as the players one of the first and only glimpses of her hand in the story directly, absent of any avatar.

I dunno, that cinematic still makes me cry a little bit. It’s more awful now that Blizzard has all but confirmed they aren’t interested in the nelves getting closure for Teldrassil, and the permanent destruction of the Horde’s moral standing and all those children burning alive was just for some ez shock value.

At this point I just pray we get to see a night elf in one of those ultra HD cinematics. And not just as background mages with giant foreheads. I mean, either that or a female orc, w/e.

18 Likes

It’s so sad. But I love the more somber version of Nightsong they did.

Edit: Speaking of sad music, I wish they’d translate the song from Elegy into Darnassian, and set it to music. Let it be our Lament of the Highborne.

7 Likes

One of my favorite scenarios in game was Tyrande’s ascension to the Night Warrior. We got to quest with Tyrande, Shandris, and Maiev. That was just awsome. I think my favorite in the books has to be Stormrage.

Amadis, you’ve convinced me to level a Night Elf through the Cata storyline because I haven’t done it yet. Thanks for linking the night elf zones in order. I always felt disconnected when I had to leave the forests and go to the barrens, Desolace, and Thousand Needle. I hated Outland too lol.

4 Likes

Yeah I think the Night Elves have really suffered enough losses up to this point in time. They still mounted a good defense against the Horde during the War of Thorns… and Sylvanas made it sound like the hatred the Night elves had shown the horde wasn’t justified…

A group invades your home unprovoked, and you don’t think that would cause them to get bitter?

3 Likes

I gotta go with the climactic showdown between Malf and Azshara during the War of the Ancients, when Malf sees Tyrande get harmed and literally goes Super Saiyan summoning a massive storm over the Well of Eternity and sending numerous demons back into the nether, eventually causing the well to implode resulting in the sundering.

Or how about also during the WoTA when him and Shandris were fighting Xavius, she shot Xavius with an arrow, and Malf literally used the arrow to grow a tree out of Xavius’ body. I mean, that’s some Mortal Kombat quality material right there.

That will always be my Malf, not the guy who right now who has a hard time defeating a Banshee, an above average ranger, and an senile Orc warrior.

8 Likes