⚓ [A] Kul Tiras Marines - Kul Tiran RP/PvP/PvE

The lack of Paladins was definitely an odd move; as you said, the lore supports it.

Paladin is my favorite class so I have mixed feelings about it.

I made several points when people were debating the class options for Kul Tiran humans on the forums. There are some folks who kept parroting the “Kul Tirans don’t believe in the Light” line, so I made the following points:

• Kul Tiran NPCs in Drustvar verbally pleading to and praising the Light instead of the to the Sea or Tidemother.

• Whitegrove Chapel is a church in the tradition of the Holy Light. In places where Tideworship is followed, you see Shrines instead of Chapels.

• People in Drustvar continue the Light worshiper practice of burying the dead at graveyards such as near Whitegrove Chapel iinstead of doing Burials at Sea as is customary in Tideworship.

• The symbology used in the Tome of Silver and Ash which you recover as part of the missions to restore the Order of Embers is identical to the symbology used by the Order of the Silver Hand and the Church of the Holy Light.

• Then there’s all the countless instances we see in Warcraft 2 and 3 of Paladins being part of Kul Tiran forces - including named NPCs and Chaplains/Paladins that were part of the Kul Tiran Navy and Kul Tiran Elite Corps.

• Sergeant Bainbridge in the Siege of Boralus dungeon was designed as a Paladin during the BFA Alpha/Beta, with Light-based spells and the original dungeon journal description making it clear he was a Paladin. Blizzard changed it afterwards, but their original intent was for him to be a Paladin.

The reason we’re not getting Kul Tiran Paladins is gameplay and mechanics - nothing to do with lore. Blizzard probably keeps a spreadsheet of how many Alliance vs. Horde races have access to any given class, and they just try to keep that more or less even whether it makes sense to the lore or not. This is especially disappointing because the Kul Tirans and the Zandalari are supposed to be the two main Allied races of the expansion, and to see how many more customization and class options the Zandalari have vs. the Kul Tirans is a real sore spot for me personally.

1 Like

Nearo, well thought out post. I completely agree with your and the WC2 and WC3 examples were my initial thoughts. Also, it is shortsighted for people to say they only worship the sea. Multiple forms of religion can exist. It’s a shame they didn’t get Paladins.

Have you made plans? Does Nearo remain a human Paladin or have you considered a retcon rp to make him a Warrior or another class?

I have considered swapping to Warrior, but I would not retcon him. If I go in that direction, it’ll be as him having a crisis of faith and this crisis resulting in him losing his ability to wield The Light.

In the lore the only thing that is required to wield The Light is to have firm conviction of purpose and unwavering resolve in your faith. This is why soldiers in the Scarlet Crusade were able to wield the Light despite the fact that they were essentially doing evil - and is also why Nearo is able to wield The Light despite one of his main motivations (genociding the Orcs) being so morally reprehensible to many.

If I go in that direction, it’ll result in him losing his ability to wield The Light, and he’d have to rely solely on his own martial skills in combat.

The nice thing about the above approach is that if they ever do allow Kul Tirans to be Paladins, I could see Nearo restore his faith in The Light - and with that restoration his ability to wield it.

I appreciate you have thought through your character with such depth. Seeing him become a Warrior would be cool, but good luck with your decision.

I’m going to be rolling a Kul Tiran Mage. Back story is rather simple, a professor at the Proudmoore Academy whose education included magic & enough studies to become a professor and have a career in education. He now seeks adventure to join the fight since the war was brought to Boralus. I’m leveling him from 20 for the heritage armor.

I don’t know if you followed the forums when there was some debate about the classes available to Kul Tiran humans, but some people were even saying Kul Tirans shouldn’t be mages - despite the fact that almost every spell you see Tidesage NPCs wield are Frost spells, many even with a water elemental in tow and firing frostbolts, frost novas, all that.

Then Blizzard came out and was like “Oops, yeah Kul Tirans should be mages”.

I’m always amazed the extent to which people will defend from a position of total ignorance on the lore.

We’re working on setting up Proudmoore Academy-based RP in the guild. We have one recruit undergoing training as Academy staff, they come to Bootcamp to observe how we carry out training of Marine cadets so that once they complete their training they are eligible to actually run some of the bootcamp training exercises that are more academic in nature. If you’re ever interested hit me up ^^

Yes, I saw the initial exclusion of mages which was surprisingly for the reasons you stated. Your bootcamp for rp purposes?

I’m not sure if I am going fire or frost. Frost mage are abundant in Kul Tiras. If I go fire, I might connect it to being from Drustvar.

The fact that there are a ton of Kul Tiran Fire Mages (including a dungeon boss who is a Fire Mage) working for Lady Ashvane was also part of the discussion of Kul Tiran Mages. It makes a lot of sense that there’d be an interest in fire magic in Drustvar, given how powerful fire is against the Heartsbane Coven.

Bootcamp is basically an RP campaign that all new members go through. When we get new Marine recruits into KTM, they are assigned the rank of “Cadet” and go through our Proudmore Academy bootcamp - a series of RP events that mostly take place at Proudmoore Academy covering a variety of subjects like Shipboard Operations, Naval Technology, Zoology (about the Horde), etc.

Some of it is classroom/lecture-based instruction, some takes place aboard a ship, and some of it is combat-based out in the field. Once the Cadet completes all the courses and trials, they are eligible for graduation to be full-fledged Marines.

Recruits who join as Proudmoore Academy staff come observe bootcamp in the capacity of assisting the drill instructor, and once they’ve observed all the bootcamps they’re “promoted” to full Academy Staff and are eligible to schedule/run bootcamp events for the Cadets as well, or simply to serve as research staff in support of other RP efforts.

2 Likes

You definitely know your Kul Tiran lore!

1 Like

Some might say I’m a bit of a Kul Tiras nerd.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that. Now lose your ability to wield the light, put on some weight, and fine tune those sword skills. :grinning:

Kul Tiras is once again the undisputed premier naval power in the world.

The Golden Fleet has been officially renamed the Golden Flotsam thanks to the ingenuity of High Tinker Gelbin Mekkatorque. Kul Tirans have long recognized that whatever Goblins do - Gnomes can do better.

The gnomes have also demonstrated why they are, pound-for-pound, amongst the heaviest hitters in the Alliance - and most certainly not a food item as the Banshee Queen’s propaganda would have you believe.

1 Like

Main post updated with inclusion of civilians via Proudmoore Academy and an FAQ section (which includes our official policy on the recruitment of Pandaren).

1 Like

Nearo has finally admitted that Draenei are Azeroth’s superior race.

Dude… where’s my Vindicaar?

Also, updated the FAQ.

There’s some information on unlocking Kul Tiran humans coming in 8.1.5, a link to the WoWhead article is below:

Here’s the TL;DR

• Exalted with Proudmoore Admiralty
  • Complete the 8.0 & 8.1 War Campaign through the “Tides of Vengence” achievement.
  • Complete Kul Tiras questing (Loremaster of Kul Tiras, The Pride of Kul Tiras questline and the “A Nation Divided” quest.)
1 Like

Kul Tirans are known for our ability to navigate the open seas, but we’re not too bad on the dance floor either!

We’re re-affirming our status as huge RP nerds by including an official Roster on our website, complete with linked character bios. This is a WORK IN PROGRESS.

https://www.kultirasmarines.com/roster

2 Likes

New quick video guide showing how to get prepared to crate your Kul Tiran human and be the envy of men and women the world over.

We’re getting closer to playing the big fellows.