A full Classic server has a third as few Black Lotus relative to players

At 2:00 P.M there were 267 Horde online, 436 Alliance. I’ll check again at 6:00 P.M as that should be prime-time.

1 Like

Perhaps a Tuesday evening before raid time would give you a better idea. I think many people are raid-logging at the moment.

Which supports my view even further. The servers’ population designation is now determined by the highest concurrent character count detected on a 7 day spread. According to Jeff Kaplan, Vanilla servers reached peak concurrent users on the weekend while maintaining a steady player count during the week.

I would think that is fair for Arcanite Reaper. I am not sure how you’re getting the numbers, but it would be interesting to see which is the biggest server you can find without a queue.

I switched to a lower pop server from Bigglesworth to make farming easier. It was easier. Then blizzard decided to open transfers to Earthfury and over night we became even more crowded than the server I left. So the “go to a lower pop server” thing wont work because blizzard will just screw you over anyway.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/censusplusclassic

Before anyone claims the addon is broken, it’s not. Blizzard made the automatic SendWho() a protected function. The addon now uses hardware input (left and right mouse clicks) to send ManualWho() requests.

It’s 99% accurate with a small margin of error to account for people logging in and out during a scan. You can open your /who window and see what the addon is doing. I purge the data after each use, as I only use it to get concurrent online character numbers.

Queues start at 5,000 concurrent players from my and other players scans. If you sit in queue on a Full server on two accounts, login and scan, the total number of players is always going to be around 5,000 (with a small margin of error to account for people logging in and out.) This means that Full Classic servers when dealing with a queue, have close to 50% more players online than Full Vanilla servers did.

I think it’s safe to assume that the servers in Classic, when reaching the upper level limit of a population indicator before switching are one step higher than the Vanilla counterparts.

Upper Low pop Classic = Upper Medium Vanilla.
Upper Med pop Classic = Upper High Vanilla.
Upper High pop Classic = Upper Full Vanilla.
Upper Full pop Classic = Beyond anything in Vanilla.

So to get the idea of what a Med, or High server would be…just run that during the most populated time during any 7-day period. Which would be Tuesday before raid night…since that peak number is held onto for a week?

Yes.

But again the metric for designating a server is different now. They made the change to highest concurrent users which totally throws us off now. A large streamer could get 5,000 people to login Sul’thraze and it would show as being Full, despite having something like 100 maximum online players right now.

Like you said, people are raid logging mostly on Tuesday. That means all these servers see a larger number of players on Tuesday, while in Vanilla this raid logging mentality wasn’t prevalent and you can see in the video I linked that the population was consistent across the week.

1 Like

That would be interesting to see, I don’t think I could get the data myself because I would be raiding >.>.

I can get the data for Heartseeker on Tuesday, which is 90+% Alliance. Heartseeker is about as high as a Medium server can go before it reaches High. Westfall has 800 fewer characters on ironforge.pro but is listed as High.

I think It’ll probably be around 2,500 people online. I’ll scan Alliance and add 10% to that number to account for the Horde.

The little bit of information i could find about the original Vanilla server capacities through Google were mostly speculation, but seemed to be in agreement that queues started at ~2,500 people.

Mark Kern said the cap was dynamic. He said the Hardware allowed for 3,500-4,000 at most.

Yes. In Vanilla, I used to troll around with flasks of petrification for fun. This is not a reasonable activity in classic and I find that to be a shame.

A third as few? So three times as many?

So is the lotus issue primarily because there are more players per realm, or more players who care about max performance and raid per realm, than in vanilla?

Because I have a feeling even if server caps were identical the problem would remain.

I would bet most people logged into vanilla back then didn’t even know what a lotus was.

mathematically it just depends on supply and demand, lets examine for a minute the situation at hand in a more logical way than the feelings presented on the forums only for a moment.

Lets say for example only here that in vanilla we had 2500 players on a server, 1250 per faction on a perfect 50 50 distribution, lets also say that we have a classic server with the exact same population and the same distribution of faction. In this examination we can then also observe that the typical vanilla player base of the time had maybe 2% of the player base every utilizing flask in raid because the vanilla population had a much lower portion of the population actually raiding, there are several reasons for that but its not important to this examination. Now we observe the classic wow population of the exact same population of a server, the classic wow population has much higher portion of the population raiding, and as a result a much higher portion of the population using flasks. The simple laws of supply and demand show us that the cost of these flasks or black lotus the rare component of the flask will be a lot more expensive in the classic wow server than on the vanilla server due to the greater number of players using the flasks. You can see now why they are so expensive compared to the vanilla counterpart.