A full Classic server has a third as few Black Lotus relative to players

In comparison to Vanilla and this needs to be addressed. Every argument pertaining to what players choose to do with Black Lotus, how they farm it, how necessary flasking is for raiding content and so on is irrelevant. The resource should not be three to two times more scarce than it was intended to be in Vanilla, period.

6 Likes

Why is it that you only care about Black Lotus? Why aren’t you posting about every other resource that’s more scarce? Is it because Black Lotus has met a threshold of gold per item you’re not comfortable paying?

5 Likes

really would love to see how you know this, considering the only official source we have is Blizzard saying that the realms are about the same size as they were in vanilla…

2 Likes

On the contrary, I was against larger populations on servers from the very beginning for a variety of reasons including this one. But that ship has sailed.

Black Lotus is simply the most visible and problematic resource. Plaguebloom and Elemental Fire is also notable. A lot of other game resources are either not continuously farmed and consumed, or are able to be farmed inside instances and not the open world exclusively. Anything that can be farmed in instances is somewhat economically “elastic” to player demand in that if people want more they will farm more.

3 Likes

“Please also note that our realm population estimates of Low, Medium, High, and Full are based on this increased capacity – a Medium realm today already has more characters on it than even the most crowded realms did back in 2006.” - this was a blue post.

4 Likes

That Blue post is long, long outdated.

Yes. It’s old. Is there a newer blue post that shows the populations now normalized?

This is the post you’re referencing. It was posted on August 19th:

This post was made on August 21st, so is more recent:

Now, using our common sense, do we believe that this is still relevant to the servers today? Low pop servers consistently have less than 500 people playing; Sul’thraze has roughly 100 people online at Prime-time.

Cool way to demonstrate how dumb you are, that was before the removal of layering.

They said that 1 layer is approximately = 1 vanilla server, and since all servers are now 1 layer… that means all servers are approximately 1 vanilla server. This why when layering was removed in November some realms which did not have queues started seeing queues again.

That is absurd considering some of us played in Full realms then, play on Full reams now and are well aware that no server could possibly support 500 players on ironforge, stormwind and brm at the same time.

The entire game feels much more crowded.

1 Like

Oh I am sorry I didn’t realise your 15 year old memories of feelings were proof of vanilla server sizes, My bad… They should totally listen to you and not the actual numbers that they have from back then and now…

The actual numbers say Medium servers have more characters on it than “even the most crowded realms did”. That was never updated and until you provide actual numbers and/or Blizzard saying otherwise that’s what I’m going to believe.

4 Likes

Vanilla cap was 2500 players
Megaservers have 10k+ players
Average servers hosting 4k+ players

There are only 672 lotus per week

Current rates are not sustainable. While flasks aren’t needed for current content, they ARE needed for AQ/Naxx, ESPECIALLY Naxx

3 Likes

How about you read the updated post I linked, or does it not suit your narrative?

Not true, Mark Kern has said the cap was dynamic and was 3,000 to 3,500 usually but with an upper Hardware limit of 4,000.

I read it, it says that “a Medium realm today already has more characters on it than even the most crowded realms did back in 2006.”.

And if you forgot, servers labelled “medium” didn’t have layers mid phase 1. There were “low”, “medium”, “high”, “full” and “layered” servers.

Is your reading really that selective?

This is the updated post, the one you’re referencing was made two days prior:

Those posts are obviously outdated.

“obviously outdated” but we still haven’t had an update from Blizzard. So you’re just choosing to believe what gut feeling says is very wrong, with no evidence whatsoever that supports your claims (but plenty of evidence that doesn’t - look at the state of BRM/SW/IF on any megaserver).

2 Likes

Okay, dude. Let’s believe that the Blue posts are still accurate, let’s ignore common sense.

Go reroll on a Low pop server, obviously it’ll be fine. All those complaints from servers like Arcanite Reaper (Medium pop.) are totally invalid, they have more people playing than even the most Full Vanilla servers!

Go play on Sul’thraze, it’s a Full pop Vanilla server.

You can’t be serious.

P.S. I like the stealth like from the other guy ignoring facts. Selectively believing Blizzard’s one post while completely ignoring the updated one. Doesn’t fit the narrative, eh?

You’re throwing out a red herring with talk about low pop servers. We all know populations have dropped since release. The blue post references Classic medium pop as being larger than Vanilla high pop servers. This “common sense” you mention tells me that current high pop is still a hell of a lot more populous than Vanilla high pop, not to even mention the physical server limitations that existed 15 years ago.
Until you find an actual metric, you’re just stating your opinion - which is no more valid than anyone else’s.

2 Likes

Why are you IGNORING THE BLUE POST that says Low pop servers are EQUALLY populated as FULL VANILLA SERVERS.

You two can’t be real, you can’t be serious. Go reroll on a Low pop server and then tell me that’s the same as a Full Vanilla server. If you’re going to believe the one Blue post saying Medium servers are equal to Full, then ignore the UPDATED POST TWO DAYS LATER THAT SAYS LOW SERVERS ARE EQUAL TO VANILLA FULL, then you’re absolutely, undoubtedly not being serious.

Sul’thraze has two guilds in BWL.