A Discussion About The Beatles: Interested?

This is for all of you who are fans, but especially for those who knew them thoroughly.

Since I started the thread, I’ll post the following for your consideration.

If they all had lived and reunited, do you think they’d still be together?

2 Likes

The only thing I know about The Beatles is that I like a couple of their songs

4 Likes

Beatles are great.

They are cute little bugs and battle pets. :smiley:

The band is good too!

2 Likes

Fuzz - if you stay interested in the thread, later on I was going to ask, if the Beatles’ kids formed up, what could we name them? “The Pupae”?

1 Like

Lol maybe something like, “Beatles” where they just take off the “The” part of it.

So there’s “The Beatles” then there’s “Beatles” you know what I mean? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I understand. Makes sense. Better than hanging a cute prefix or suffix on, huh? :wink:

1 Like

For sure and too it can still have the differentiation that there’s THE beatles then there’s “beatles” kind of deal.

1 Like

Great idea! If I’m asked, I’ll be sure to cast my vote for your suggested name.

They better ask soon, or I’ll have to vote by proxy. Or something. :rofl::grin::+1:

So would they have re-formed and still be together if all were still with us? I’d like to see them and The Stones back on the charts together.

1 Like

I don’t know much about the Beatles, I’m not really a big fan of their work.

That said, “no”.

How do we know? They broke up. They broke up 10ish years before Johns death.

I don’t think that they would let “hell freeze over” and come back for a turn of the century reunion. I don’t think John worked that way, and the other three never seemed to suggest it, before George passed. They let the tribute bands do the work.

Simply, the Beatles music was not as important to the Beatles as it was, perhaps, to the people. They just weren’t that wired that way. They all went there (very) separate ways and left that all behind.

I think the recent remastering of that song with George and Johns vocals was a nice project Paul and Ringo participated in, but that’s a lot different from touring.

Hard to “imagine” John Lennon headlining a billion dollar reunion tour.

I’ll tell you this.

Back in 1980 or so, the rock music world lost both John Bonham (of Led Zeppelin) and John Lennon. When Bonham died, theres a discernible pall over the student body in high school. There were announcements, ad hoc tributes, etc.

When John was murdered, the student body was not as affected. That’s a difference of 5-10 years of music between the two, despite the high pop impact of the Beatles. Even the teachers weren’t big Beatles fans. They were more into Grateful Dead, CSNY, folk music, etc. The Beatles were even a bit early for them.

Final fun anecdote, I did not realize until, literally, 2-3 years ago that the Beatles was spelled with B-E-A-T. Shows how much I pay attention.

I have seen Paul McCartney in concert, in the 90s.

Quote of the day: “Hey Teacher, was Pail McCartney in a band before Wings?”

3 Likes

Beatles really only have 1 good song

It’s ok to leave a dog in a hot car

For the sake of this discussion, I’ll assume a scenario where all four are still alive.

I don’t think their personalities were ever compatible enough for them to work together long term. I think there’s a possibility that George, Paul, and Ringo could, but John’s ego wasn’t compatible with sharing the spotlight.

In a scenario where John had died in 1980, but George was still with us, I could see a reunion where George, Paul, Ringo, and John’s son Julian performed as The Beatles. Julian had his dad’s singing talent, minus the tendency to be a dorkhead to those around him.

2 Likes

I don’t know most of their lore, I wasn’t around back then. From a music standpoint, I think they’re overrated. They have good songs, but I don’t think they made better music than everyone else. I guess the closest thing I have to compare them to based on my assumptions of how things were, would be Taylor Swift? Super mainstream, has a cult following, music is good but not great.

1 Like

They have been asked about that and they have no interest. I can’t say that I blame them. It would be seen by a lot of people as a gimmick. However there are some exceptions. George Harrison’s son has played with some of the people from that era at various events.

As for other bands, when Led Zeppelin’s dummer John Bonham died the band broke up. They have gotten together a few times since and John’s son Jason Bonham has played drums for the group.

In fact what may be the best rendition of Stairway to Heaven was played when Led Zeppelin was being honored at the Kennedy Center Awards. A band was put together to sing Stairway to Heaven while Page, Plant and Jones watched from the balcony.

The women from Heart took the lead and Jason was on the drums along with what got to be a bigger and bigger group as the song went along. To see it do a search on Stairway to Heaven Kennedy Center. It really is remarkable, especially when they get to the end.

2 Likes

Ik who the Beatles are but for some reason when I read the title Beatleborgs came to mind lol.

2 Likes

Thanks, and ja, John could be a douche, couldn’t he?

I’ll throw in that out of the more than a few books I have read about them, the kindest thing one said about another was, “We have to do something for Ringo.”

That was the time when “Paul sued John and John sued him back. George sued John and Ringo, and Ringo accidentally sued himself.”

Not my joke - some great comedian standing up before a brick wall in a small club, more than likely.

2 Likes

My brutally honest opinion is the Beatles are the single most overrated band in music history.

Ringo’s my favourite. He seems to perform just for the pure joy of it.

2 Likes

I saw “Page and Plant” when they toured in '94 I guess. I don’t know who drummed for them. It was a solid show. I like, but I’m not a screaming fan. I will note, however, I am shockingly sick of Kashmir (and if you knew anything about how I listen (“mainline”) to music, that would likely surprise you).

That actually sounds pretty cool, I’ll have to hunt it down.

Yoko was pulling his strings pretty hard back then, and if I never hear her attempt to sing again I’ll be quite happy.

1 Like

There is a Beatles reference in Zaralek Caverns. The Niffen quartermaster sells two beetle pets named Paulie and Rango.

1 Like