A better expansion idea than “Light Crusade”

If its the one your thinking of. Than yes.

2 Likes

True. For supposedly powerful beings they are surprisingly fragil

1 Like

lol

We even predicted that it would get nuked. Ah blizzard is so predictable.

2 Likes

Oh no we are talking about forum action. This thread better not get nuked…

… it would be so sad to lose a Thadeus troll thread.

2 Likes

Apparently, switching to alts and flagging posts isn’t allowed, even if the flag is justified. I got a 30-day ban for that, shortly before the lawsuit, so I missed most of the drama.

3 Likes

Gonna make me wanna nuke this thread :smiley: :wolf:

2 Likes

I’ve done that as a newbie.

2 Likes

The naaru should be less benevolent you are totally right.

1 Like

I just imagine there has to be some pretty intolerant naaru out there, you know? They ALL can’t be goody goody.

1 Like

They also fight to the death as we saw in lore. Ka’ra almost killed the Naaru under Ogushun, I don’t know his name offhand. I would like to see more Light vs Void Naaru battles.

1 Like

K’ara fought D’ore and K’ure, after his corruption.

2 Likes

Point is, it would be nice to see more of that.

2 Likes

You don’t oppose black and white morality in stories? Could’ve fooled me given how often you criticize it. I don’t oppose morally grey morality in stories, I just think it’s overused and – in this instance – poorly done. I don’t do passive aggressive jabs – as you just did, I voice suspicions or make accusations.

I shouldn’t have said “everyone” who enjoys those stories is bad and wrong. I meant that a significant amount of people who write or support those stories tend to be a certain type… but as you said, not all.

While I see where you’re coming from relating to Yrel’s “dark secret”, there’s no connection between turning fanatical and having a dark secret. I thought the dark secret would be something like she collaborated with the Iron Horde before being thrown into their mines, being AU Garona’s mother or related to Kil’jaeden or Archimonde.

You changed track on how Turalyon could be a villain and refuse to let go of the idea of him being a villain. I’ve argued against it and said ‘if it has to be done, it should be done a certain way’.

But there is a difference between how humans dwarfs and gnomes were made and how the aqir were made, including the Void memories of Nerubians spawned in Uldir. The aqir aren’t pre-existing beings mutated.

How many threads on this topic have I made? It’s not even ten and that’s not even half of the threads I’ve made.

Because the Light’s relationship with conviction isn’t 1-for-1 as you claim.

No substantive difference… except for abandoning the Scarlet Crusade’s ultimate goal of reclaiming Lorderaen and several points of contention. The fact that you say that after I posted an official renunciation from the Scarlet Onslaught’s founder shows how desperate you are.

You’re leaving out the part where I stated the “personal dislike” only applied to a select minority of those people… who I specifically name-dropped.

You didn’t have to explain it, you chose to explain it. I demanded citation for facts I know to make you re-examine your own argument.

Again the Scarlet Crusade didn’t come back expansion after expansion, their numbers dwindled from members dying or leaving until the Scarlet Crusade was wiped out in Legion.

While I get what you’re saying about how organizations called Brotherhoods work, I still think it’s strange.

Actually, having a benevolent group have non-benevolent members is also a cliché – the “Token Evil Teammate”, “Evil Hero” and “Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing” tropes.

Nuance would be giving Xe’ra and Yrel a justified reason for being what they are, having justifiable motives or having them make accurate assessments of the heroes.

That snark of yours was poorly done. It’s clear I was using the Twilight novels as an example of how popular doesn’t equal good.

I only said a minority of people were conspiring against me and you know it.

Actually it’s not. The quest chain where we revive Illidan – called “In the House of Light and Shadow” ended with the Nighthold in patch 7.1, not on Argus in Patch 7.3. The last quest is to bring Light’s Heart to Khadgar in Dalaran, which leads to Khadgar bring’s Light’s Heart to the Nighthold so Illidan’s soul can be restored to his body. This quest is called “The Nighthold”.

The closest thing to a hint that Xe’ra would Lightforge Illidan by force is when we’re on Argus rescuing Xe’ra and Alleria complains to Turalyon about being imprisoned by Xe’ra for using the Void. Pretty clumsy foreshadowing. This takes place an entire patch after the quest chain “In the House of Light and Shadow” from 7.1, with patch 7.2 between them.

And they’ve ignored character progression with making Yrel a baddie. Two wrongs don’t make a right, they never should’ve done it this way in the first place.

I asked you to get information to make your re-examine your argument. To compare the Scarlet Onslaught to ISIS, they’re villains that could be wiped out in a single raid or patch at most. Also Illidan could one-shot Xe’ra but he apparently couldn’t one-shot Kil’jaeden. So that’s hardly a cosmic threat.

[quote=“Tammy-wyrmrest-accord, post:378, topic:1100665”]

Unless their power waxes and wanes or a greater power keeps both in check, it doesn’t make sense for two forces to be kept in balance when one is more powerful.

You misunderstand me. And I don’t know what MMO you’re talking about. If I had to guess, I’d say Final Fantasy but I’m not sure.

For a start, why wasn’t the Iron Horde mentioned in the Mag’har scenario since we meet AU Grom? Why didn’t Yrel bring them up or mention her dead sister?

The thing with these characters and the Light in general is predominantly due to the retcons and poor writing they’ve been subjected to.

And yet they keep going to war with each other. The Demon Hunters weren’t released from being locked up in Warcraft III, that was just Illidan. Other Demon Hunters went around doing their own thing and working with the Night Elves, being held at arm’s length or shunned.

Your assessment of me is wrong. Funny how Akilyss noted similar traits in you, and I agree; given how much I’ve butted heads with Akilyss that’s saying something.

There’s a difference between expressing suspicions and making accusations. Also, when did I accuse you of making multiple threads on the same topic?

And who killed those Ogres? It was the Mag’har, not the Draenei. That’s why the Ogres are in ghettos.

Nuance would be giving Xe’ra/villainous naaru and Yrel at least one justified reason for being what they are, having justifiable motives or having them make accurate assessments of the heroes.

• What traits of brainwashing did they show?
  • Again, do we see any Mag’har getting Lightforged?
  • Did the other Lightforged Draenei – who’ve served Xe’ra far longer than Turalyon has, join Turalyon’s attack on Illidan when he killed her?

It is stupid when the Iron Horde’s former leader is walking around alive and unpunished and no mention is made of the past crimes or why he was let off. Especially since Draka lost her brothers-in-law Ga’nar and Fenris to the Iron Horde.

After consideration, I suspect the Orcish phrase was the name for the AU version of Mak’gora. My point about cultural genocide still stands having seen what happened to the Pandaren.

Not all Illidan fans are edgelords, but some are. Same with the writers; that Illidan kill’s Xe’ra cinematic was a big pile of edgelord cringe. And I was talking about what’s popular with the fanbase, not popular in general with society.

I play Death Knights. Death Knights are edgy, but I try to moderate or stay away from the edgy aspects when roleplaying one. I think Darion Mograine walks a fine line between edgy and edgelord, I hope he doesn’t go over it.

People wouldn’t have swallowed Xe’ra’s story intended to undermine the Naaru’s good image much as they have if it didn’t involve her targeting established characters like Illidan and Alleria.

Also, too many people don’t want to deal with the kind of intellectual and emotional challenge that a well executed redemption story presents (part of why “Illidan, Champion of the Light” got as much hate as it did).

We want the short term high provided by vindictive anger that assures us of our own correctness at the expense of our perceived enemies (in this case, the writers have put Xe’ra and Yrel in that position and might do the same to Turalyon). This also raises another problem. So far the only “villainous” Naaru are the AU Light Mother and some unnamed “Radiant Naaru”. That means Blizzard is either going to have to villain-bat existing Naaru or insert new villainous Naaru into the story… like how the Jailer was inserted into the story.

Turalyon didn’t think she was dead, he knows she is dead because he personally witnessed her get killed. To focus on Turalyon, he lost trust and respect for Xe’ra because he disagreed with her.

Those ideas you suggested have merit and a few problems;

• How it does look that the Light’s only getting fleshed when in an antagonistic role?
  • I don’t there’ll be as much of a clash of cultures or faiths. Lorderaen was the most pious of human kingdoms. If anything, the human kingdoms now seem somewhat lukewarm about the Light, and worshipping the Light doesn’t have that many rules even for the Draenei.
  • We don’t need Light fanaticism stories to explore Lorderaen politics or put Stormwind’s nobles front and centre. The ones who have been named don’t seem to be very pious.
  • Preventing the exacerbation of retcons is fine.
  • Just repeating a message doesn’t make it sink it. If anything it can people even more determined to resist it, especially a “T for teen” crowd.

Remember when I said thoughtful critique of religion in fiction is rare and that it’s usually one extreme or the other. Can you name a fictional story with a thoughtful critique of religion that wasn’t proselytizing for it or demonization against it?

There needs to be a balance when discussing authority, and too many stories these days go to the “don’t trust authority” extreme. Humans are not infallible as authority figures, yet there are good reasons for rules and authority to exist. Ambiguities of the universe in WoW aren’t the same as the ones in real-life so that analogy doesn’t apply.

Just because there is ambiguity in real-life doesn’t mean there are no black-or-white-type dichotomies or simple truths either.

When it comes to resistance to authority, there needs to be good reasons for that resistance. Teenagers usually lack the life experience to discern when or which rules don’t apply. While teenagers need to grow, there also needs to be reminder that there’s usually good reason for rules. People are quick to ridicule authority, especially these days… until someone does something against them. Then suddenly they’re all for rules or even the authority they were formerly ridiculing and rebelling against.

Human nature is inherently selfish and people can come up with sophistry to justify why they’re breaking a rule or defying an authority when the actual reason is greedy, petty or hedonistic (in short evil or selfish).

And that’s the part of human nature that’s often being encouraged without checks or balances these days because people are getting increasingly self-centered. They want to be told they’re fine as they are not matter what they’re like… and how dare anyone present high moral standards, because that means they can do better which means they’re not fine as they are. That sort of mindset - as encouraged by these contrarian stories - stunts growth, not helps it.

at this point I am wondering if Tammy and Thadeus are the same person using two different battle.net accounts.

2 Likes

This feels… discriminatory.

1 Like

It’s hard to read thier replies to one another because they both write essays as replies.

If they could stop quoting eachother’s essays that would be nice.

2 Likes

Side note: I got lied to again. The thread involved in my issue with blizzard is still active, not deleted at all.

1 Like

No, we’re two different people.

It is? Well…is it a lie if I didn’t notice it still up?

2 Likes

I think they are confusing post for thread. Either that or they just want me to stop submitting tickets. Which I will once I get an actual answer.

2 Likes