95% of Hunter Pets are still unusable in high end Content

This is probably the 5th time I’ve posted about this but almost nearly all hunters want a change to the current system which for years has been disliked.

It’s pretty plain and simple, most hunter pets are completely useless in high end content. 30% Dodge? Does have mortal strike/lust? Its basically useless. In PvP its even worse as all hunters take an undead pet with mortal strike/mobility options.

Very little choice when it comes to choosing our companions as a hunter. It should be fixed.

21 Likes

And all three specs are forced to use pets too.

Ion or whatever dev is in charge of hunter is too arrogant to care about that. They updated the stables wich is great and was needed, but this problem was bigger and not adressed.

3 Likes

The dumbest part is the solution was already in the game and they removed it.

They dont even need to invent anything new just put back the previous perfectly fine feature.

12 Likes

Which feature was that?

He’s probably talking about Classic’s Pet Training feature. As your pet gains levels, it gains training points, which allows you to purchase new abilities to be used or passives that increase health/armor/etc.

Im referring to WotLK when hunter pets had their own talent trees and could be specced for damage, survivability, etc.

Add this feature back and just make the ferocity/tenacity/cunning the 3 trees and all pets are the same with the only difference being the tree you spec them in to being the thing that determines the “type” of pet.

9 Likes

Yeah, pvp is very limiting too. You probably want a cunning pet with Mortal Strike so better hope you like a raptor, hyena or an effing rodent…

I would love to use a bear but it’s not really an option in anything remotely competitive.

What if they brought back the system they had in Legion where we can choose ferocity/tenacity/cunning and then we have a pet skills that we can swap out at any town at a Stable that way in pvp we can make our Bears and Turtles Mortal strike and free us up and make us faster.

7 Likes

This would be ideal in my opinion.

And if anyone comes with the “it’s important to know what the pets/abilities are for pvp,” you know everyone is gonna take mortal wounds already so get out of here with that.

Why not just make a devise that transmogs your current pet and second pet into another skin. Similar to hati being cloneable the duplicator item dont remember the name. Just use the item to on a random pet in the wild and ur current pet becomes that skin. Then use a second item on a random wild pet and your secondary pet becomes that skin.

It would be so much easier to just allow you to select which family you want your pet to be, and it already existed previously.

4 Likes

when you say high end content, do you mean pvp? Cause in pve in either raids or mythic plus, its either ferocity or tenacity. None of the other pet abilities outside of specialization matters, and no open world pve doesn’t count as high end. In pve no one really cares to run mortal strike pets because all mob healing is interruptible or avoidable with positioning and knock backs, if you are in a position in pve where you need mortal strike you are playing the game wrong.

I don’t disagree that it would be fun to be able to swap specializations for the leech or lust but to say 95% of pets are unusable for pve is just not accurate as it really doesn’t matter as much.

I’m speaking towards both. And simply put its also has to do with effectiveness. There is no reason not to bring a pet with bloodlust over a pet that has its own 30% dodge. The recent dragonflight addition of dragon pets are a great example of this, with abilities that reduce their own damage taken from magic abilities. This means these pets bring nothing to almost all content.

In PvP this is certainly worse though, at the highest level people use maybe 4 total pets if even that. Beastmaster has more choice but MM and Survival are extremely limited.

1 Like

In pve your pets usually never have to dodge anything… in dungeons or raids… The dodge doesn’t matter at all honestly and if you are in pve and you are passing up on other pets to take one with dodge then that’s a you issue not a game issue. Its not going to impact your game in dungeons or raiding at all. If your pet is in a position where it needs the dodge during a dungeon you have much bigger problems with your tank and or healer cause your pet should not be in a position where it needs the dodge and honestly in this entire tier the only times i’ve needed to even rez my pet is because of a misplays and group wipes on trash where i didn’t have my pet feign fast enough.

I don’t do pvp so i can’t and won’t speak on those issues but pve pets it really isn’t that much of an issue, the only pets that see virtually no play are cunning pets which is a shame.

1 Like

Seems typical Blizzard, they improve the stable UI and then force all hunters to use pets so they have to experience their new shiny thing.

2 Likes

Maybe my wording was misleading there but what I was saying was you would never bring a pet with dodge on it into PvP or PvE. So most of the times people pass up the pets with those abilities.

Besides that, you’re speaking to the heart of the matter here. Most pets don’t have competitive abilities at all. Honestly I’d prefer it if we just picked what abilities our pets have and be done with it. I want to use a pet based on it’s aesthetics, and in PvP we have the fewest options by far.

Honestly I don’t want to have to use an undead raptor of which there are like only 2 versions with the other having some different colors. It doesn’t feel like my companion, and it’s not a choice I’d make, I’m forced to. If I fight someone with CC against beasts, I have to switch my pet.

Even outside that I’m stuck using raptors and rats. They even nerfed the leech on pets so that’s not even competitive as a choice anymore vs movement speed and freedom, not that it was much to begin with.

Just let hunters choose who they want their companions to be.

2 Likes

Most people are using tenacity pets for survivability unless lust pet is needed.

There is choice. But one is always going to be the best.

2 Likes

Red Porcupine from Pandaria is the only pet pvpers need its a rodent with mortal wounds and helps you not be CC as much and blood won’t show on its fur.

You want a cunning pet in pvp not tenacity.

1 Like