9.2.7 Auction House is Temporarily Closed

In this case the “ATM” is spewing money. A combined AH is one of the more ambitious things they have tried to do with an 18 year old game designed to have an AH be not just server specific, but faction specific.

The changes made over the years are many, and this was the biggest. Sometimes it takes scale testing to see the flaws.

They shut it down fast though so hopefully damage was limited and people did not get a chance to exploit it. Would not want to see folks banned.

3 Likes

I think more people just want to see them fall over.

That’s what a software test engineer does BEFORE it is released. Write software that emulates 1000’s of players. I doubt they even have a software engineer working for them.

3 Likes

We’ve seen Blizzard ignore all comments from player testing for the past x number of raid tiers. Blizzard’s version of testing is throw it on players and ignore their feedback. You’re just defending a group of people who are incapable of pushing well-executed code. Not once in my decade of coding have I pushed a catastrophic failure, but they manage to do it every single patch, without regard for player input.

So how about you get over yourself. Or, get over yourself on the next major patch release when this happens. Or the next one. Or the next one. Or the next one. Or the next one. Meanwhile, we’ll all still be paying for the game on every single one of those days while the game remains either offline or missing large portions out of absolute incompetence.

2 Likes

Read my above post.

No one can account for every single situation when testing and to think they should is just naive.

8 Likes

The playerbase found this issue within an extremely short period of time after servers came up. This isn’t “every single situation.” You clearly have absolutely 0 experience working with pushing code to live servers.

2 Likes

That’s not how it works. The editor and the live build work differently. The only way to sufficiently test for bugs is to release it live. There are always going to be bugs in the live version of a game that were not found or did not exist in the pre-built version.

6 Likes

As someone who worked in banking for decades, if a bank can’t give you your money, the Feds will shut it down.

It happened to Mercantile Bank Dallas when I was working there - a glitch in the Wire Transfer system left the bank without reserves. The bank was seized and sold to Bank One, Texas.

Lawsuits ensued because the bank claimed the Feds engineered the glitch, but MBank Texas ceased to exist as a corporate entity after that.

So . . . horrible analogy there.

3 Likes

It’s true and it scares me :cold_sweat:

Way to go. Auction house was working perfectly fine yesterday. Top notch work, as always…

I don’t think that’s what they meant. Sometimes ATMs malfunction and simply don’t dispense money. I have had that problem occur a few times at a nearby bank in my area, and the “feds” have yet to shut it down.

2 Likes

Anyone with the proper skills could. They just expect us to pay them to do the job that most companies pay good salaries to ensure quality.

1 Like

They are testing it. We also had test runs on the PTR, but sometimes things happen. Not to mention I’ve repeatedly seen game devs talk about how they can have no issues internally testing but when it comes time to push out the patch issues crop up. Sometimes it’s a slight difference in build, or it’s some other factor that wasn’t able to reasonably be accounted for when bringing it live.

Sometimes things just can’t be tested to account for the now many more thousands of people interacting, even with internal and PTR testing.

I’ve no idea what caused the issues they are dealing with and neither do you. It’s nothing that serious to complain about when sometimes these things just happen.

6 Likes

Huh wonder if the increased number of inputs to handle and sort caused some weird desync issue. I could see all the TSM bots across every server melting things down. Like if it processed one type of change before another and took to long to catch up that something got delisted. Or maybe it processes buys before delists and lagged.

Yeah, but you can go to the ATM down the street. This is a spot-on analogy here as EVERY AH is broken because of a software glitch.

Banks this happens to don’t remain in business very long at all.

1 Like

Did they shut down the AH when players weren’t getting paid for days? I honestly don’t remember that happening.

This may very well be a critical bug but the optics don’t look good that players were getting extra gold and Blizz shuts down the AH.

Can’t give (meaning having none on hand), or can’t give because an error (but having the supply to do so)?

Cause if it’s the latter, even though it’s in the feds right, that’s like doing more work than just cracking skulls to clean code.

It took me quite a while to scan with Auctionator earlier, so it very likely could be an addon caused issue.

ITT, People over-reacting.

2 Likes

This is 2022, with a supposedly tripple A company.

Consumers deserve better.

2 Likes