9.1 PTR Changes for Holy Priest (big buff)

Discs have a mandatory lego for Raid but for M+ they can go either Penitent one or Twins

Going TPO is really bad, though. It’s actually terrible healing - the only benefit it grants is a huge single target heal on proc. But being a proc, it’s not exactly good for emergency ST burst healing anyway.

You’re actually unironically better off taking cauterizing shadows or reflective shield. Reflective will do more damage, and very slightly less healing (unless you purposefully start PW:Sing more, in which case it will do more healing). Cauterizing will do more healing even if you take PTW.

Disc can pretty much run anything in M+ because none of its leggos are good. Twins is taken because it at least has some potential in allowing you to have a burst phase while simping another class. It’s better than the rest, but not exactly a good leggo.

I know people have done higher keys with TPO, but again, they’d be better off with literally any other legendary except a spriest/hpriest leggo in 5-man content. Unless it’s at a 100% proc chance or Penance gets a huge buff, it’s not ever going to be good, 3 penance bolts just isn’t valuable enough.

The nice things about Sanctified Ground compared to the original Holy Word: Concentration are:

• Radius of 10 yards means that it is not completely negated by Ring of Peace (HW:C was 8 yards, RoP is 8 yards), that was hugely frustrating
  • It’s tied to HW:Sanctify, making it instant cast, reduced by CDR, and also available on command with Apotheosis
  • It uses the old Holy Word: Sanctuary spell effect, obviously best-in-slot

While I still think Inner Focus is preferable… the theme for us seems to be supporting others, which I do enjoy, so this is a significant improvement to the ability, and one I’m very much considering to pair with Greater Heal.

The biggest issue I had with HWC on live is that you could still get kicked through it if you weren’t on completely flat ground. It didn’t seem to have a Z-radius unlike the new animation which seems too.

Yea, live HWC is kinda buggy.
I got interrupted on flat terrain too at the doors outside of orgrimmar.

So really all we’re getting out of 9.1 is unusable legendaries, Symbol of Hope buff, and a whole bunch of PvP talent changes in 9.1. Nerfs to both Disc and Holy Paladins will prop up Holy on the end-game tier list, especially if raid teams find a way to make full use of Symbol of Hope, but the healer meta comp for 9.1 is yet to be determined.

Most of the major changes are going to come from the covenant trees. We get access to a 3rd potency conduit and another end tree ability. Once you unlock the end tree you start unlocking enhanced slots which give a 12.5% bonus to your conduits so a 226 conduit becomes as strong as a 254.

I was hoping issues like mana management, sustained damage, and PoH being doo-doo was going to get addressed in 9.1, but I guess we can see if 9.1.5 brings anything with that.

I tested Sanctified Ground on the PTR and it’s still bugged like HW Concentration. The visual has no downward z-radius so anyone standing below the center of where you casted it won’t get the effect, but anyone above it will. So if I cast on the top of some stairs and step down I won’t get the effect, but if I cast on the bottom of the stairs I get it going up. I made a bug report so I’m hoping they can fix it before it goes live.

Also, on the PTR yesterday they made it so Flash Concentration can be crafted on a ring. With Domination slots filling almost every main slot for raid gear… it’s a question of crafting it as an amulet or ring is the better choice.

The new seasonal affix is in as well for 9.1. You have 4 lieutenants that you kill in the dungeon and you can pick anima powers from it. One of them is always going to be the option to get orbs that spawn when you cast that give you +10% mana when you step over them. It won’t be like Pridefuls infinite mana, but it should be better overall on bosses, and stuff once the effect runs out.

I fear we’re gonna get brought to raid for our one CD, and literally nothing else.

Wait so we have to spend soul ash to craft FC again to put it on a ring??

We’ll have 3 raid CD’s. Symbol of Hope, Divine Hymn, and Holy Word:Salvation and none of those are something that can be easily written off.

I for one am looking forward to the Symbol of Hope change. Perhaps I can go back to being Kyrian for mythic raiding instead of Night Fae. The massive mana gains are just simply too important here to keep up throughput.

That won’t be the case.

Yes. It should be easier next patch… and I’m sitting on like 20k+ soul ash I haven’t spent…

It’s just a question of how will it be utilized in raid fights because some of them are only 6 minute fights and others are 10 minutes. The symbol mana gain is pretty big, especially when everyone is pretty low. So on a short fight you may end up using it to reset abilities more than the mana gain, but on long fights you’d end up using it twice.

In M+ I see a lot stronger uses for it, especially with resetting tank CDs, and getting mana back to keep pulling.

It’s just a question of how will it be utilized in raid fights because some of them are only 6 minute fights and others are 10 minutes. The symbol mana gain is pretty big, especially when everyone is pretty low. So on a short fight you may end up using it to reset abilities more than the mana gain, but on long fights you’d end up using it twice.

There’s only 3 use cases for Symbol of Hope:

• Mana gain which will be the default
  • Attempting to cheese a soak mechanic with defensives. I don’t know how prevalent such mechanics will be as I personally like going into raids blind.
  • Attempting to force another tank CD to be available. Moot point if you’re running Night Fae

As for M+, I don’t really push beyond getting KSM, so I don’t really speak for high level pushes. That being said, I don’t really think it’d be feasible using it midfight anywhere in keys as you’d normally be healing. Between packs, sure, but something like Plaguefall last boss there’s enough healing pressure and movement requirements that there’s probably not much chance of use. Unless you’re running on fumes and really need the mana, you’re better off just continuing heals/dps and having select dps rotate a defensive.

In M+ will probably be used to reset Defensives which can be huge.

I can see myself using it to reset defensives cds for example on the rage mask in DoS on Fortified weeks.

That sht on high keys hits like a truck if you don’t have any defensive.