9.1 - Pet costs 10,000 Polished Pet Charms

…really?

10,000? That’s absurd. 5,000 would have been more reasonable. At 10,000, you might as well say “We want this to be rarer than Longboi.”

It’s just a recolor too, (The 10000 one is far left)

There’s 3 other Baubleworms from the same vendor from a bartering system.

At an average of 20 Pet Charms per World Quest, it’ll take 500 world quests to get this pet. That’s beyond crazy. (20 Charms Per WQ is being GENEROUS. The 3 charm WQs up right now give less than 15.) So it’s more like 600+.

It also punishes people like me, who were buying rare covenant pets like Battie to give to friends, or sell for much cheaper than other people are. Because I had extra charms.

You literally created a system where people will need to trade charm pets with other people to get all of the charm pets. We’re still doing that and you decide to add a pet for 10,000 Charms at the same time?

8 Likes

I think its a fine addition, the idea is that of a slow grind, by the end of the expansion you should have enough charms for it. I hope its soulbind though, like the 1mi pet from Legion (Celestial Calf), otherwise tryharders will just buy tokens and get it from the AH.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind it if it was a unique model.

But it’s a recolor of 3 other worms you can buy from the same vendor in a “Trade Grey Items” bartering minigame.

It genuinely feels like they don’t care about the pet battle players when they make our “goldsink” a recolor (just like they did with Celestial Calf), but mount collectors get things like the Spider Mount, Longboi, etc.

3 Likes

I still run BFA mission table on all my alts. I check daily for the missions. Every little bit helps.

3 Likes

It is not currently soulbound on the PTR and can be caged.

I think they do indeed care about us Crazy Cat People. We’re the ones that keep subscribing after the Mythic raid and dungeon kids get bored and move on to Call of Duty or something.

If there were players that were willing to blow a million gold on the Calf (this back before the usual expansion inflation made one million G sort of common), there are people who will come up with enough charms for the Worm. And spend a whole lot of hours online doing it. We’re the target demographic for silly stuff like investing dozens or maybe hundreds of hours so we can get an essentially useless pet to add to our inventory, giving Blizzard money each month to have the opportunity.

Personally I like it. It’s fun. Beats hell outta Real Life.

6 Likes

It has absolutely nothing to do with if people will buy it. Collectors will.

It has everything to do with the art effort put into battle pets vs mounts.

Mount collectors get plenty of unique mounts for their sinks or achievement rewards. But pet collectors? Naw, they just get recolors.

Need to mention mounts like the Cloud Serpents. There’s at least a dozen recolors of them currently available, and were some PvP rewards that you can no longer get. Agree some of their recolors included special effects, but were all basically the same model.

Also agree that there’s more one-of-a-kind mount designs. When you get a way cool mount, you can go to Stormwind or Orgrimmar and hang out for hours in front of AH to impress people. Or, if it’s big enough, hover over a mailbox. Really can’t do this with your pets. So it appeals to a different crowd, not fair to compare it to us Pet People.

Question: What would be worth 10k PPC to you?

What if they made the gold Baubleworm (current one being sold for 10k PPC on the PTR) super big? Like, larger than a gnome, while the other three are normal “small” battle pets?

What if they added a unique animation/interaction to it as well? What about a unique glow/special effect?

If there’s something that could easily be added to the pet to make it more special and “worthwhile” of the price in your eyes, suggest it to the devs. No guarantee they’d do it but it’s worth a shot.

To me, it’s just another gold-sink (charm-sink, in this case). I’d love to see something special added to it, but I just have to shrug because I know that it’s just a way for us to spend our PPC all in one go. I’m sure some players will easily be able to purchase this pet right away, and I’m happy for them. At least there are straightforward avenues to continue earning and saving up charms. If we had no way of earning more PPC or it was some convoluted way, then I’d have issue with this.

Literally a pet like this. Unique model, something that will be coveted and saught after, to motivate people to get to 10,000 charms.

A recolor of a rather underwhelming model not so much.

There are also 4 of those: Mord’al Eveningstar, Rook, Mawsworn Minion, & Gilded Darknight. I think the only ‘unique’ ones this time around so far are: Fodder, Timeless Mechanical Dragonling, & Wild Corpsefly

I think that option has been nerfed now. I haven’t even gone into Shadowlands yet (no real interest) and I’ve gotten to lvl 57 by doing pet battles and pet WQ’s in BFA. I’ve noticed over the last week that pet battle world quests are no longer giving stones, but azerite clusters and pet bandages. You might get one or two that will give coins or stones so yea, I think they already forsaw that was going to happen and closed that route off. Now I know I wasn’t just seeing things.

I just did a couple of BFA Pet Battle WQs a day or two ago, and they both awarded PPC. Mission Table is still giving PPC (less often) too. Could just be bad RNG on the rewards.

1 Like

Well I’m happy. I needed a pet charm sink. I almost had 10,000 the other day when I wasted 3000 on pets to sell. Now that I know about this, it’s back to hoarding my charms.

I was about to stop doing pet charm missions on my adventure table. Now I can continue to do them and feel good about getting so many excess charms. Anyone wanting this pet just has to get a bunch of alts to 60 and camp them at the mission table and make sure you do all the charm missions (2 to 3 a times a day.) You’ll be rolling in charms in no time.

That is a joke, 500 to 600 WQs for one pet.

Why do we NEED to have such stupidly hard to get pets when pets have become FAR more difficult to obtain, requiring literally hoards of alts to circumvent the crappy RNG and layered RNG placed on them- backed up by tons of gold to boot to buy the ones that RNG refuses to bless you with (I have spent thousands and thousands-even a mill on SL pets so far because I have ‘gotta have them all’)

Really getting sick of the carrot on a stick goalposts blizzard keep putting on this.

And this is coming from a long time die hard pet fan. Someone who has put in the HUNDREDS of hours of grinds for pets. Who grinds for pets before she grinds for mounts/gear/cosmetics. If I’m over it, that’s saying something.

5 Likes

For anyone curious what polished pet charm pets they’re missing, if you search item:163036 in game it will list all pets with a polished pet charm in the pet’s source. This won’t list absolutely all of them I believe, and this doesn’t work for shiny pet charms, because Blizzard hasn’t always included the item in the source text.

1 Like

This grind is going to suck even with all the alts I have. I’ve been using pet charms to buy leveling and upgrade stones. I don’t think I even have 2000 at the moment.

Ugh!

2 Likes

Why…this is, uh…this literally feels like Blizzard walking up to me, putting their face an inch away from mine, and saying “****…you.”

I think this is the first time I’ve ever seriously considered unsubscribing…

1 Like

The recolors are even more ridiculous. They cost grey items. Some of the highlights:

A Very Unlucky Rock - ONLY Drops from the Murlocs you have a -chance- to fish up in your Garrison. And even then, it’s only a 5% drop.
Dark Iron Baby Booties - ONLY drops from Relic Coffers in BRD, and only at, again, a 5% chance.
The Stoppable Force - 1% Drop Rate from Trash in BC Raids.
Robble’s Wobbly Staff - 1% Drop Rate from Trash in Cata Raids.

2 Likes

I guess I had a different reaction to the currency needed for the recolors. Personally found it really funny, Blizzard humor at its best. Taking the junk that my toons have been getting (and trashing) for years and making it suddenly a necessity.

BTW, Very Unlucky Rock also drops from the Bag of Shiny Things that’s reward from the fishing daily in major cities. The 5% rate sounds about right, levelers who do this quest regularly will pick one up every few weeks.

EDIT: Level 15 Bank alt just did his fishing daily in Orgrimmar and got a Very Unlucky Rock.

1 Like