9.1 Opens a Revamped Desmotaeron, with Heyla in charge

Something to keep in mind is that the Arbiter basically gets to observe and weigh everything about a soul before deciding where it goes.

As essentially a divine supercomputer, it likely calculates whether or not a soul is even capable of eventual atonement, or if it’s so deeply rooted in certainty of its own righteousness that nothing Revendreth does will ever make it recognize its sins for what they were.

So irrespective of the scope or nature of a soul’s specific misdeeds, a soul that has even a miniscule scrap of possibility for being made to see why it was wrong and regret said wrongs would go to Revendreth, while a soul that’s fundamentally incapable of even considering itself morally in error would be chucked straight to the Maw.

For example, it wouldn’t be surprising if, say, Guldan was Mawbound because as sad as his origin might be to the outside observer (the guy didn’t exactly choose to be born deformed and despised), those origins effectively created a person who was fundamentally absent any moral compass or even frame of reference to comprehend why it should matter if his actions were heinous and vile. For as long as he was capable of doing so, he hated the world, so there’s effectively no foundation upon which to show him why causing harm is a bad thing.

He was a monster made by the world around him, but a monster nonetheless, and one who consequently never developed a capacity for empathy, conscience or any desire to be morally right.

Someone like Loksey or Tholaron may have gone to Revendreth because there was a possibility of making them regret their actions, even if only by essentially exposing them to the hypothetical “and what if that had been you on the receiving end?” A tiny window to appeal to basic empathy and maybe find purchase. It may take years, centuries or millennia to make it sink in, if it does, but them being sent there suggests that the Arbiter recognized that tiny potential for atonement and judged them accordingly.

4 Likes

I’m going with KISS on this one.

Revendreth didn’t work. Maw-bound he goes.

Blizzard staff goes, “HEY LOOK! REMEMBER! THIS GUY!? FROM THAT THING!!!”

Or maybe… the MU version was actually the BEST version of this guy. When all the strands of the rope combined, turns out, he was probably the WORST ever. In most timelines, he single-handedly ended the timeline. The entire universe - poof. Wound the rope up and all the sudden the MU guy had a LOT of stuff on his ledger.

She regrets it, but I don’t recall any indication that she committed suicide afterwards (I wouldn’t be surprised, but if there’s something indicating that I’ve missed it). It doesn’t change the fact that she was a professional murderer, and she wouldn’t have been in a position to be tricked into killing her own daughter if she wasn’t.

That’s definitely how I interpret it, that either someone she had wronged or a rival set her up.

Eh, sanity is debatable for any member of the Scarlet Crusade, in my opinion. Their extremism goes to a point where I’d argue no rational and sane person would believe in the totality of their cause, and we know that some of their other leaders were actually insane (looking at you, Sally Whitemane).

This makes sense, and I think it might be a combination of these two things. We know that one of the factors that goes into the Arbiter’s decision is how useful a soul might be to a given covenant. We also know that some souls with rather terrible flaws and sins are sent to Maldraxxus directly rather than Revendreth, seemingly because their flaws wouldn’t get in the way of them being productive soldiers for the Necrolords, and that the other covenants resent Maldraxxus for this. The term “irredeemable,” when applied to souls sent directly to the Maw, might simply mean a soul that cannot or will refuse to be reformed into being a useful and productive member of Shadowlands society. Is there anything left in this soul that could possibly be reformed, or are they so completely rotten to the core that they’re more useful to the Shadowlands as stygia than as a person?

Agreed.

Ugh, please, no. I get what Blizzard was trying to say with that, but the whole quantum-rope-timeline thing makes my brain hurt, and I say that as someone who’s favorite Star Trek show is Voyager.

2 Likes

Gotta love that quantum rope analogy, it’s caused so much confusion when we talk about AU characters.

5 Likes

Honestly, I do apologize for writing that. I never should have even put that out there. I regret my joke Blizzard, please do not go down this road.

1 Like

Don’t apologize when you can instead tease her for being a Voyager fan by saying the word “Threshold.” :lizard:

4 Likes

Because they had a possibility for guilt and repentance. They wouldn’t be in Revendreth if they hadn’t.

PRECISELY that’s the most important aspect of Revendreth.

And that’s a sin but what saved her was her regret.

The desire for forgiveness and the desire to change is all that’s required for Absolution in Catholicism, which a lot of Revendreth is based upon.

I’m honestly surprised so many of you are unwilling to accept the notion any WoW lore character might have been damned directly, no Revendreth, just the Maw.

1 Like

I might have just misunderstood something about both the Arbiter and Revendreth, but if a soul is capable of being judged as irredeemable right off the bat, then why would anyone fail Revendreth? Wouldn’t anyone who couldn’t be redeemed there inevitably also be the fault of the Arbiter, who erroneously sent them there instead of being flushed?

We got confirmation that there are some that fall through any roster and are sent straight to the Maw. I agree though, nothing the Scarlet Crusade did was so bad that it deserved to go straight to the Maw. If you argue that way, Sylvanas would really deserve the Maw as well.

I guess I need to finish exploring the Maw.

1 Like

Margin of error at that limit imo. Attendants say the Arbiter is never wrong but also she materially does commit mistakes as we can see lol

She was sent there at her second death, as of right now due to the Arbiter and without Jailer shenanigans

That’s my point, if she really was sent there after her suicide - by the Arbiter - (although she didn’t do ANYTHING THAT BAD from the Forsaken era to WOTLK), then there would be plenty of characters who deserve the Maw just as much…starting with really any Forsaken who was even remotely living the Death for the Living meme

I think what differentiates between the maw and revendreth is the soul’s ability to change. If they refuse to acknowledge 5heir wrongdoings and refuse to do anything to make up for it- maw. If they are willing to look back and see what they’ve done wrong then they’re rehabilitated in revendreth

That’s my take on the situation anyway. It isn’t particularly solely about the deeds themselves.

From what I understand, it’s not about actions at all, but entirely your mindset. Theoretically I suppose if you stole a piece of bread just because you wanted to, and eons of Revendreth would fail to convince you that you did anything wrong, you’d get Maw’d.

I generally agree with allot, I just find it stupid to send people directly to the maw without pumping out their anima. That’s my only gripe on it, cause it just helps get the jailer more power albeit slower then the other zones.

Soooo just discovered what One sin stone said originally during development

One of the first to assume the mantle of Blood Knight, Sharth Voldoun had the courage and tenacity to lead the team who created the first true mana bomb to be unleashed upon the mortal plane.

While such an act would normally lead to his immediate exile to the Maw, it was his dedication to forced manipulation of the vile [naaru] that earned him a chance at redemption in Revendreth.

2 Likes

Same but again, Danuser insisted otherwise :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah I never like when he speaks, it is always something that even by standards of rule of cool never makes sense.

2 Likes

If I could change the lore:

• nobody goes to WoW Hell directly
  • EVERYONE gets a chance at redemption (IRL this is called Universalist theology, which I don’t believe IRL but for WoW sure why not)
  • only the Unrepentant get sent to the Maw
  • this is to ensure no large amounts of Anima end up in the Maw

But

• Danuser confirmed some souls get damned directly
  • He did not address the Anima to the Maw issue
5 Likes