9.1 - Do the devs hate healers?

Topic.

Why the F is the general theme for the 9.1 (PvP relevant) changes “make healing even more miserable than it already is for the select few masochists that are still doing it”?

Giving new/enhanced Mortal Strikes to half the classes that don’t need them is just salt in the wound in an expansion where healer is unprecedentedly miserable. I can’t believe they’re doing this before dealing with a lot of the ridiculously overboard burst that people have available.

Am I missing something here, or do the devs just genuinely hate healers? Are they trying to push a triple DPS meta? What the F is going on

Thinking about stuff like Damp Jungle (BM hunter + Necro Feral), anything with Hemotoxin, and this new Fury MS thing makes me feel so bad for healer mains and is severely contradicting my desires to play rsham again for enjoyment.

33 Likes

Probably because the top 1% are going into dampening regularly.

4 Likes

That’s not an excuse at all.

Games going to dampening in the current season doesn’t translate to “healers are too strong.”

It translates to “nobody does meaningful damage outside their ridiculous burst windows, so when those fail, dampening takes over by default.”

The game is supposed to go to dampening if the teams are failing to shut down the opponent’s heals. Nerfing healing outputs feels like it’s just attempting to pander to bad DPS, artificially accelerating a meta in an awkward way that makes healing a lot less enjoyable.

If they wanted to target mana in some cases, sure maybe I could see that… If they wanted to buff sustain so that healer outputs were COMPARATIVELY lower, sure I could see that. If they wanted to target DPS defensive capacities or hybrid offhealing, perhaps I could see that. But this? This seems like about the absolute worst way to resolve that issue.

This is just a spit in the face to the beautiful defiant lads that continue to heal arenas despite it being absolutely agonizing right now.

To all the healers out there, damn few, we salute you.

27 Likes

Yeah I’m not necessarily a fan of it. One can only speculate as to why they’re going that direction. I’m more annoyed by the fact that they haven’t revealed any kind of honor/conquest catch up mechanic for alts. The grind is tedious, ridiculous actually.

3 Likes

A relevant issue to this forum, but not really this thread…
IMO, the health of PvP is more urgent than the tediousness of alt catchups, though both are valid concerns.
Circling back, the way they’ve treated PvP healers so far this expansion is just an utter atrocity.

Ya dunno man not sure if this is intended to nerf healers in general or hybrid healing, or just like a bandaid solution to the gazillion modifiers amplifying healing nowadays anyway.

I haven’t noticed this being nearly as much of an issue for healers as I have DPS.

It can’t possibly have been aimed at this; there’s way simpler ways to deal with this that don’t additionally have huge collateral damage in the form of undermining the impacts of actual healers.

1 Like

Ya idk man could be intresting though, more rewarding to maybe use a MS effect at a good time rather than just slamming it on cd.

I swear a hpal with wings up or a rdruid with like NS+swiftmend+regrowth, any priest, like all healers can like easily top through ms without damp nowadays anyway.

2 Likes

The 24% feral one they’re putting in is more or less passive… The Fury one looks more or less passive… The proposed Hemotoxin for Assa has a duration of 9 seconds, last I looked, which is really long considering how much CC rogue teams tend to have for the opposing healer… Seems like about the amount of time a healer would have available to catch up after a kidney go.

But what about when Wings isn’t up? Also, swiftmend really is not that big… The SotF Regrowth can be pretty fat but that’s a hardcast in a game that’s increasingly hardcast-unfriendly… And NS is basically their biggest recovery CD. Healers need to be impactful outside their CDs.
Moreover, what about rshams? Rshams will be hurt disproportionately with MS effects being all over the place, because it’s the spec that suffers the most when pressure exceeds a certain threshold, and rshams are already underperforming within the meta (basically nonviable without comps that are extremely defensively kitted like WPS, Owlplay, RetWarr, etc).

These changes just really feel like we’re approaching “Why bother bringing a shield when it’s so flimsy; might as well just bring two swords” territory.
Really feels like they’re just pandering to the loud ZugZug crowd that wants to be able to run down their target without any thought or outplay within 5 minutes; the crowd that doesn’t want to even have to acknowledge the healer in order to get a kill. It devalues patience, calculation, setup and CC because why bother setting up CC on the healer if he’s already 24-60% irrelevant while freecasting?

2 Likes

Every comp is already based around having mortal strike what are you talking about bro?

All this is doing is opening up more comp diversity which is GOOOOOD!!!

At this point i would be happy if they just removed passive mortal strike effects and keep things like sharpen, temporary reduced healing effects which require timing to use would be alot better.

But for now, being able to play more comps is going to make pvp way better and bring in more people.

5 Likes

its about increasing comp diversity you muppets. its something that should of happened a decade ago when they cut MS effects down from 50%

3 Likes

Ya, that’s not a thing lol.
Godcomp, ele boom, ele mage, boomy spriest, frozen chicken/crispy chicken, splay, dk boomkin, ret/sp, ret/boom just to name a few common ones that don’t have
Guess you just can’t see past your own class.

By this logic every spec in the game should be getting one lol
MS is designed to compensate specs that have lower outputs and/or less CC… Not really sure Feral fits either of those descriptions, nor does Assa rogue.

I could probably be on board with this, depending how wisely it was implemented.

Sounds like a good life.

1 Like

most melee already do

1 Like

I hate how weak my cooldowns are compared to CDs. I pre dome someone on high HP often time its not enough in 3s and they have to press something too, Pain sup 3 min CD extremly weak for a 3 min CD.

Then my mostly highest heal Radience cost 50 million mana and everything else except rapture power word shield doesn’t heal for bearly anything.

3 Likes

Consider playing big dome, if you’re not. Very worthwhile if you’re having a hard time keeping people up.

… yes I use big dome mate people at actually good ratings do alot my damage. Also big dome was nerfed in BFA and given a shorter cooldown IMO to compensate for being able to use voodoo totem or conduit with it. But yeah its dogs breakfast of a CD especially for something u have to aim /time with high ping.

Also pretty dumb passive talents like trinity still exist and arn’t baseline when other classes are picking up these disgusting PVP talents.

1 Like

Windwalkers have ms… I just started playing this season and the amount of people who don’t know how this game works is amazing. Assassination rogues also have a ms through their poison lmao.

5 Likes

Get ready to see a ton of holy priests (even more than now) b/c of POM ignoring MS & Dampening. Plus the one holy priest change looks pretty cool. But patch 9.15 will be POM getting nerfed hard.

Well if they wanted to target hybrid healing they should change it to the healing you do instead of overall healing so if you stack what ever new MS on a Ret pally the healing the ret does to him self is nerfed by 25%, that way the healing isn’t affected as much.

This is S1 in a nutshell , World of Damage Modifiers

1 Like