8.3 proves devs have learned nothing. More grind and timegates

Ah so that explains your rude and disrespectful condescension.

1 Like

Yeah, shadowlands is gonna be just bfa 2.0

4 Likes

Grinding and time gating aren’t the issue. Those have been part of this game (and many other MMOs) since forever. It is the way that they approached it with 8.3 (and perhaps BfA in general) that has a lot of people turned off by the game. BfA hasn’t been very rewarding with the endless layers of RNG for even the simplest of things. And I feel that they handled the Horrific Vision keys very, very poorly. Grinding and time gating can be fun with the right masks, but they don’t really worry about fun anymore.

2 Likes

People are not against grinding in a MMORPG. People are against grinding in a MMORPG for multiple rental systems.

Even when people call gear obsolete with a new expansion release that isn’t true. That gear still has value to carry you over into the new expansion to obtain better gear or even for your alts to farm older content.

But when rental systems are removed you are left no power moving into the new expansion and your alts have been depowered.

12 Likes

Most people who use a disclaimer like this are using it to hide an agenda. If you have to tell people you’re neutral, it means you know that from what you are writing they will assume you are not.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I would have rather they kept it at 8.2.5 and maybe release another raid with a mini intro (kind of like what they did at the end of Wrath) than another major unpolished patch.

1 Like

Swtor has not time gates, you can get full set pieces and max ilvl gear within a week, the longer grind are just amplifiers and bis stat gear parts which are a tiny dps increases to your character unlike essences or corrupted gear.

And that means i can do content i find fun, play my alts and keep gearing for a while because amplifiers are rng and gold sinks till you get the highest tier but because they are a small part, nobody is fussed about not having the bis ones yet, but when you get all of them you do feel a great sense of accomplishment.

Mmorpgs dont all have huge grinds and time gates, it is an asian and wow thing.

In addition due to the timegates, if you miss 1-2 weeks in wow you are severely behind because borrowed power increases ridiculously fast but is timegated so you are punished for taking a break, in swtor i can take a break and dont have to worry about staying behind.

2 Likes

Not really crutch, they just wanted to make the grind as mandatory as possible

These rental systems suck

If you are done with wow until SL you are pretty much back to level 100 again with nothing gained for the last two xpacs

These guys are just utterly breaking the gameplay loop and reasons to invest in your characters

5 Likes

Rental systems would be ok if they werent mandatory because they lock HUGE DPS increases behind them, and when it is system after system.

In start it was all about gear and trinkets, these days it is about gear and trinkets, then grindy/timegated ap and azerite armor, then essences, now corrupted gear.

External systems can be good and a great long grind, but only if the power behind them isnt ridiculously huge making it mandatory for all content.

Or RNG based like legendaries, vendors are a must.

Imagine playing WoW 8.3, being promised since 8.0 that “this expac will get better we promise” which has now shifted to “next expac will be better we promise” which will shift into “9.1 will be better we promise”.
Imagine not understanding pattern recognition.

5 Likes

I loved SWTOR and was in the beta
but a lot of early problems with the game turned me off, and I have always preferred fantasy for mmo’s even though I am a gigantic Star Wars nerd. Hope you enjoy it! Any other suggestions (not ESO/FF 
not my style) for a mmo?

Succinct post. I am a WoW addict but doing the uldum and vale of blossoms intro line 13 times (i’ve gotten through 4 so far) is making me seriously consider finding a new hobby.

5 Likes

This just isnt true. You could ignore dailies and factions(even the shat rep) on the whole and be perfectly fine and viable, as well as get BIS. Rep dailies, and ect were optional. TBC you got all the needed rep from doing dungeons/leveling. Everything else was mounts. People who try and claim Vanilla through Wrath played anything like today’s WoW is either lying or simply dont remember.

WoW went from a dungeon crawl to a check list.

10 Likes

Exactly how i felt, WoW is becoming more and more like work, mandatory not fun activities in order to be able to access and be reasonably decent in fun activities.

So not gonna bother anymore, instead i can play swtor with no such forced systems where I can do whatever i enjoy and get rewarded and instead of being forced to do something for the reward.

It is understandable, some people might not be able to stick with certain games, for example i pretty much cant enjoy guild wars 2 with its limited skills even though it seems to be a good game.
And i would probably suggest going to the off topic games forums, might find some suggestions there since pretty much the only mmos i ve stuck with were wow and swtor to know much about others.

1 Like

What’s pissing people off is trying to get a Quest mob only to have someone steal it while you fight through the mobs to get to it. That’s what’s pissing people off. Everything else about the patch is pretty good, but for that one screw up.

Guess this is a person who loves timegates and grinds.

That is why shadowlands is hopeless. Because a few elitists who like to spend ages to be above others will not stop playing an unfriendly game

2 Likes

Blizzard said that they weren’t going to put mounts in paragon caches, too. And they didn’t, with the base reps. Then, presumably because they weren’t getting enough participation in WQs, they proceeded to add mounts to the paragon caches for the new reputations in 8.2.

Basically, Blizzard says a lot of things, but they won’t stick to their word if reneging on it will get them the participation metrics they want. So even if Shadowlands launches “alt friendly”, I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see additional systems added to extend playtime if their engagement metrics aren’t where they want them.

3 Likes

Also keep in mind 8.3 has had the longest runnin ptr of any patch on top of problems. No other patch has had this much time for fixes.

3 Likes

Unless you have infinite time, you can’t even really do one horrific vision a day. After doing all of the dailies in both zones, killing lots of rares and doing whatever those extra events are called around the map
 I still don’t have 10k coalescing visions to buy another vessel today.

And I was playing for 5+ hours. So I’m not sure how much more grinding I’m supposed to do in a day to get to 10k currency just so I can do the horrific visions again.

The last vessel I spent was last night just before they had to emergency reboot the servers, and I didn’t get any of the loot from the run. When I messaged cust service, they said they “couldn’t” give me the loot OR refund the vessel, and better luck tomorrow! basically.

Sooo
 yeah, this one just ain’t it.

3 Likes

My sub runs out in 2 months so I’ll just finish normal raid and finish leveling the Mechanognome+vulpera

2 Likes