8.3 proves devs have learned nothing. More grind and timegates

Blizzard is doing exactly what Vivendi/Activision wants. Getting evey dollar out of a maturing title that will be hitting its 20-year anniversary in four years.

I know. I should not be surprised however it’s sad to see non the less. Like many I love wow and want to see it thrive. Want the best for it.

I hate to see it cheapened like this makes meh sad

Its already thrived. Anything in the modern gaming culture that somehow still is standing after 10 years is a miracle.

Best way I can describe wow right now is like when you are little and someone puts your most hated vile food that makes you gag on the same plate as your favorite dish you would like to just eat your favorite food but it’s mixed in and you can’t separate it. You either eat it and gag or Forgo the meal all together.

1 Like

What’s scary is this: 8.3 is supposed to be a sample of the changes coming to Shadowbland.

3 Likes

So here’s my “alt-friendly” comment fwiw:

One of the biggest gripes is being required to repeat content - both content that is unrelated to their interests/goals and content that is designed as “introduction to new systems.” Some examples of this:

• Having to do PVP to get azerite essences that are valuable in PVE and vice versa. This is just patently stupid.
  • Having to do the same introduction to Nazjatar, benthic system, follower system, crucible of flames upgrades, etc, just to get access to followers and missions, azerite essences, world quests, etc.
  • Having to do the same introduction to the cloak system (and scenarios) just to get access to removing corruption from items - even if you don’t want to do horrific visions - but also if you want to do anything related to the invasions (even casually).
  • None of these are difficult to complete though they do take time (a few hours here, an hour plus a timegate there, throw in a few scenarios, a dash of “go here, go here, go here,” etc). The problem is they are overly tedious to repeat and since they are introducing new systems that players have already become acquainted with previously, they really serve no purpose to repeat. Even worse, often they only relate tangentially to player goals. They become time-gates to actually “playing” a character.

The counter argument has primarily been “you don’t want to play alts - you want multiple main characters!” but that’s pretty much a strawman. Most people don’t want multiple “main” characters. My main tries to do things at a higher level of difficulty than my alts and goes for achievements. I personally play my alts to play as different roles, help out with some low level keys when folks are missing a tank or healer and don’t care as much about the timer, and later in an expansion even an alt raid or helping out in a pinch.

At a basic level though I do understand some of the underlying cause that creates this point of view and it stems from a systematic game design flaw. There is a large amount of “free” high-quality gear being given out. In my opinion this started with LFR (but you could argue it started even earlier with PVP welfare epics). Emissary quests, Darkshore and Stromgarde, LFR, and BoA gear (plus the standard BoE gear) basically makes it simple to get a character to a 400+ level shortly after level 120. This is/was intended as a way for alts to “catch up” in gear, but this makes essences and the cloak the only thing preventing an alt character from being equal to a main.

Someone (either in this thread or another) brought up Wrath of the Lich King as the polar opposite of the way this is functioning and I have to agree. In Wrath and BC (not to seem overly nostalgic) you got to max level and then your character could gear however they wanted by doing the things they actually wanted to do. If you wanted to do casual raids on your alt, you could go work toward raiding quality gear
 by raiding
 (though you probably had to have done some heroic dungeons first, depending on how much you could be carried).

Unfortunately, one of the issues was that RNG for loot made it difficult sometimes. So the devs slowly adopted a “well, if they grind enough they should get something.” This wasn’t inherently bad (think a vendor selling a raid-quality item at exalted reputation) but it slowly moved toward more “the only way to be relevant is to grind” rather than “do what you want to do to get better at what you want to do.”

If, PURELY AS AN EXAMPLE, the amount and quality of “free” gear decreased dramatically, but the azerite essences and cloak were account-wide, it would skip the need for “reintroducing” the same concepts over and over again. There would still be a need for some “basic catch-up gear” (such as some of the BoA tokens, though likely toned down) to allow players to catch up in an expansion, but a new 120 wouldn’t be able to be maxed out.

Unfortunately that’s a dramatic shift in the way WoW has been trending for LITERALLY the last decade. Welfare PVP epics were probably 2009? LFR was 2011? Please correct my time frame if I’m wrong, but my point is - I don’t see it changing in Shadowlands. I could be completely off-base, and I hope I am.

Grindy with fun classes im ok
Grind with boring class No Thanks

Exactly, if a game has fun classes even doing pvp in random bgs is a fun activity, but the way they have pruned and ruined classes makes pvp feel like trash removing one huge aspect of the endgame for many casual players.

Yeah and guess what happens when a government creates regulation and laws limiting company greed.

Hell the fact that there’s limit on maximum profit/wealth says everything. Companies want unlimited every growing profit, that idiotic unrealistic desire will never be stopped unless governments intervene, or mass people with guillotines but that is more unlikely, it isnt France.

Then you should probably not only listen to big flashy new stories

Yep, this very much. I’m gonna jump their hoops till I get the heroic aotc mount and the 30 day quest mount then I’m out of here till maybe shadowlands (and that’s only if what I see in PTR testing looks decent.

If it doesn’t Blizzard can take a very deep dive off a very steep financial stocks cliff and I will not weep for them.

1 Like

8.3 is hands down some of the worst damn post content Blizzard has put in the game, the Assaults are easily the WORST invasion idea they have done yet, the grind is unbearable, the dailies are an absolute joke, the rewards are garbage, the spawn rates, the annoying traveling is unbearable, and for the love of god more abysmal rep grinding for what is easily the worst set of dailies i have seen in wow in awhile? If anything 8.3 is a reason to Quit, its hands down the worst freaking patch in BFA to date and that’s not saying much and its one of the worst overall good lord i just cant keep playing this game if they keep putting out such crap content like this it makes me really worried for Shadowlands, i just cant handle this crap post content anymore.

6 Likes

I think Blizzard devs go with whatever is already in their development pipeline. They solicit comments to make peripheral changes to keep certain segments of players happy (like raiders and high end m+ players) and for PR purposes. Just my opinion.

ESA is a lobbying group.

I’m one of the rare specimens that actually liked Cata. I’ve played mostly WOTLK, Cata (actively raiding and pushing progression) and the beginning of MoP and was going on/off for a while (never played competitively again). Decided to return to wow in bfa for some reason (kinda thinking about dropping really).

Back in cata I had 6 lvl 85 chars: DK (main, tank), rogue, priest, mage, shaman and druid (gatherer). All their professions were properly leveled and I offloaded gathering to my druid. After the (short) rep grind with tabards, I just needed to log into my DK for the weekly raid or just having some fun with guildies and rushing people through dungeons. I got max lvl archeology, cooking, first aid

I knew what equipment I needed when the patch landed, the only “issue” would be the tier sets which were basically mandatory to get 6 piece, but I’d already know which piece I’d ditch. On weekends we’d do an optional raid for the guild alts.

If I wanted a new alt I’d just get my heirloom gear and run through dungeons from 15-85 (although I’d usually vary). Can’t even do that anymore because heirloom gear just has stupid requirements for upgrades now.

Now we’re at BFA and I have 2 lvl 110 boosts (1 from bfa and 1 that got upgraded from mop or wod I think) and I have absolutely no desire to use them because I can barely do all the work on a single character, let alone alts.

Leveling feels like a downgrade. When you level so do the mobs around you, but your gear is still the same and you end up taking even more time to do the same things you could do the level before. Finally reaching lvl 120 and having to level the neck while farming mediocre gear is so discouraging

Gearing for raids is abysmal. Back in the day we had GearScore (essentially ilvl) and achievements as requirements for PUGs (I remember people asking for https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=5366/ready-for-raiding so you’d be invited to a raid group). getting all blue gear and running LFR was enough to be ready to join a normal raid. Now it’s all based on RaiderIO so I have to hope people let me join their group because I don’t have 1000 M+ runs to be able to join a M+ group to get 1000 M+ runs to be able to join a M+ group to get

Also, is something wrong with the personal loot system (not on M+)? I don’t remember running dungeons being so unrewarding and having to run multiple times to get a single piece of decent gear, but maybe my nostalgia glasses are skewing my perception on this one.

I just don’t even bother with professions anymore, as we also need to grind to get recipes. Farming reputation is just so annoying. We’re on the last patch and my gf wants a Vulpera. She doesn’t play nearly as much as I do, so she’s just got Revered and has to do the same few WQ every day, hoping for emissary quests to eventually get exalted. We can’t even rush it in a weekend because it’s all TIME GATED, EVEN ON THE LAST PATCH OF THE EXP.

Honestly, BfA is just showing me that what I liked about WoW is long gone. I have absolutely no time to do everything that is required for me to even think about raiding. When I play with my gf we have to catch up on everything she missed so we can finally play the same content. My guild stopped raiding on 8.2 too. I’m hoping SL improves this based on Blizzcon promises, but can’t say I’m too optimistic.

1 Like

I will say this in (potential) defense of Shadowlands - I believe the game had a systemic problem within BFA that I don’t think the devs could work around with 8.3.

• Leveling “items” seems cool in concept but it is alt-unfriendly. Gearing alts is more alt-friendly - partly because you don’t repeat the same intro quests and acquiring parts and the like and partly because you can gear up the way you want.
  • If high quality gear is super plentiful and easy to get - “leveling items” becomes the only thing stopping a fresh 120 from equaling a “main character.”
  • Once you’ve made the system where gear is plentiful and you have leveling items - it’s very difficult to escape that loop within the current content. If you stop the flow of quality gear the value of the necklace/cloak/etc becomes even HIGHER. If you remove the necklace/cloak/etc, everyone becomes uber powerful really quickly and easily. If you do both - you really can’t make the next set of content much harder (and the entire expansion loses even more cohesion).

Devs didn’t have a lot of options in 8.3 to reverse this trend.

• In a new expansion, they could completely flip this in reverse - let a leveled/acquired item be account-wide in some format (maybe not ranks/levels, but essences and skipping introductory content, etc). Then acquiring gear is what separates mains and alts - and you can reduce the amount of “easy to acquire” (previously known as welfare epics) gear.
  • Or they could even do away with the “leveled” item concept entirely and rely on gear as a differentiating aspect.

Personally, conceptually, I think legion weapons, heart of azerite, and even this cloak are fun. Implementation on the other hand was a complete failure. But I’m not sure devs could have escaped that failure for 8.3.

They HAD a Beta???

Easy to pass judgment on something not even in Alpha.

Just wanted to point out that the less grindy stuff was set to be introduced in Shadowlands, not 8.3

I’m giving them credit for providing flying threats instead of restricting flying altogether. Maybe they can build on that so we can stop having useless travel debates.

2 Likes

And Loot RNG don’t forget the loot rng. Corruptforging is worse than titanforging
 People go up like 20k dps overnight if they get a rank 3 inifnite stars/echoing void. Everyone else gets like 
 1k dps from their garbo stat traits. Pure RNG if you top the meters or get to look on with envy. Fair. And echoing void has made arenas unplayable
 people running around with echoing void doing 30% more dps than anyone else, demolishing people and getting free wins all because of loot rng. It’s absurd.

1 Like

This is really true. The people I would see leave because they got a little bored when content dried up - those guys usually came back when a new content patch (or expansion) was released.

Most of the people I’ve seen leave because of burnout, on the other hand, never returned. Their last memories of the game weren’t of running out of content, but of the game’s base design feeling like a punishment instead of fun.

Blizzard should fear players burning out permanently a lot more than players feeling done for a while and casually taking a break. But everything in the game seems designed these days to prevent players from ever feeling done with anything, so they keep going till they eventually burn out.

4 Likes