8.3 Freezing (Windows OS Thread)

Whatever they did to the game literally ruined my game, I can’t raid, my FPS massively drop to 10 fps. Jesus christ

1 Like

Happy to see I’m not the only one going through this annoyance, it truly is making the game unplayable at times. I have turned my graphics all the way down and it doesnt change anything from my hardware getting throttled into oblivion. I really hope they can fix this soon, I’ve been on a long break from WoW and only came back to it a few months ago(I was really enjoying it).

Still happening on my Mac - beating a dead horse by saying the same as everyone above; I’ve never had this issue before this patch. Get it together Actish*&ion.

Switching to DirectX11 Legacy seems to have fixed my issues thanks

I’m having the same issue as most of the people posting here. I normally played the game in 10 with 85+ fps. Since 8.3 I’m experiencing a mayor drop of FPS until the game freeze up and I have to close and launch it again. At least to me, 99% of the time this happends ONLY during trash cleaning in Ny’alotha . Not outside raid, not in dungeons, not in open world. Drivers are up to date and with a clean install, DirectX 11/Legacy didn’t work, setting the game in 1 didn’t work either.

When we will have and official update on this issue? It’s been 8 days since the last one, even if you don’t know the answer at least pretend that we mean something as customers, we’re paying after all.

2 Likes

Hey everybody,

Thank you for the patience while we’ve investigated this problem for you. At this point in time, I wanted to give you an update on the things the tech team have discovered in the past week. Brace yourselves - info dump incoming.

There are actually (at least) four different things being reported in this thread. I’m going to quickly address a couple things first, and then we’ll talk about the troubleshooting for the main issue - game client lockups.

1. A memory leak has been reported to us, which is unrelated to the freezeups but which may make them worse. At this time we have been able to troubleshoot any instances of memory leaks with players by removing conflicting programs. This means removing addon managers and resetting the UI as well as closing other conflicting background applications and updating or uninstalling security programs if all else fails.
  2. Mac OS users have been posting in this thread. This is the incorrect thread for Mac issues, and this is covered by a known bug which is unrelated to this thread. If you are having client freezeups/system crashes on Mac OS, please post in this thread instead and keep an eye on it for updates.
  3. If you are not experiencing game lock ups and only seeing low FPS, this is not the correct thread. You should post your own thread instead so we can help you individually.

For players who are having lockups since 8.3 on Windows and who have Nvidia graphics cards, I have another step for you to try. Something appears to be causing your drivers to become critically unstable, and as far as we can tell a factory overclock of some graphics cards may have something to do with it. To see if you have a factory overclock, follow these steps:

1. Update your graphics drivers to the latest version
  2. Right click on your desktop and click Nvidia Control Panel
  3. Click the Help menu near the top of the control panel and click on Debug Mode. A check mark should appear if it is enabled. If the option is greyed out, you do not have a factory overclock active.
  4. If you previously used the DirectX 11 Legacy work around, feel free to try again with DirectX 12 instead. If it makes things worse, you can go back to DirectX 11 Legacy.

Note: if you cannot access Nvidia Control panel by this method, you need to reinstall your drivers or reach out to Nvidia for more help. There may be a more major driver problem that you are having resulting in Nvidia Control Panel becoming broken. If this fixes the problem, please report it to Nvidia as well and let us know that it worked for you in this thread.

You may also want to try the steps at this post if you have not yet, but I suspect the above step will work better for Nvidia users.

Thanks again for all the patience through all this. I’ll be keeping an eye on the thread and we’ll provide any more updates we can as we get more feedback.

1 Like

Thank you Drakuloth, You were killing us here with inactivity! Better late than never though i always say. I’ll be trying these right away.

I tried the debug mode, which did help, but still getting the graphics driver failing and recovering. Temps on GPU are sitting at 80, cpu temps are around 55.

That seemed to fix it on mine too. Much cheaper than buying a new video card.

Thank you.

These steps need more detail me thinks. I can’t tell what I am doing here.

Edited by Blizzard: Done, thanks for the feedback. Notifying you here to prevent the post from being lost in further blue posts.

I set mine to Debug Mode and back to non-Legacy DX11 and thought it was fixed after a few minutes of nothing, however I’m still experiencing the issue very specifically several seconds (5-10 maybe?) after zoning into a new area-- hearthing to Boralus, taking the portal to Silithus, and then the portal back to Boralus (did this one twice to make sure) all did it without fail. Absolutely an improvement, but still not working 100%.

Will post again if I notice it if happens elsewhere!

1 Like

A couple of questions about the Debug Mode thing.

1. Should it always be in Debug Mode?
  2. If we put it in Debug Mode, should we revert the change to DX11 Legacy if that has been working for us so far?

Edited By Blizzard: Edited post above to clarify this. Thanks for the feedback. TL;DR - yes, you can test without DX11 Legacy active. If it makes things worse, just set it back to DX11 Legacy.

1 Like

Going into debug mode and resetting the UI seems to have fixed the problem.

Alright, the tick appeared for my Debug Mode. and I’m using Windows 10 and an Asus brand GTX 1070. I still sometimes get the out of memory error.

Took me a while to reply because I’m only limited to three posts in this thread. (??? Three posts won’t be enough to comment on a serious issue like this one…)

1 Like

I have Win10, an Nvidia GTX1060 and 16 gb of RAM.

I started seeing issues while in the Stormwind Horrific Vision. Day one/try one, my friend/party member locked up and couldn’t interact with anything. Day two/try two, it was my pc that locked up. I could run around and type in guild chat and see responses in guild chat. However, I couldn’t target anything, or click anything inside the vision. Reload UI didn’t work. I used esc to bring up the menu but clicking exit or logout did nothing. I had to kill the game in Task Manager. When I came back I was dead of course but my friend was still alive. Once she died, we were both ported out to the vestibule where Wrathion is and I got dc’d. I logged back into the game and exited the vision totally.

I have since made sure that my drivers are all updated. I’m not sure whether or not to change anything with Directx-some people here are using the legacy setting and some are using 12. I have noticed some latency during loot pick up but it’s not consistent. FPS seems normal. I haven’t noticed memory usage increasing while I’m playing.

During the first three bosses of the new raid and doing heroic Stromgard, I encountered this lock up behavior three times. Based on past experience, I just immediately kill the .exe through Task Manager and get back into the game without any problems.

Updated info: It happened again today during the quests in the Vale. I was in a group questing in the Klaxxi area by the WB. As far as the party members were concerned I was still standing in this one section whereas, from my point of view I as flying over the vale. I could not interact with any of the mobs in the area and the logout/exit functions couldn’t be used. I ended the wow.exe under Task Manager and logged back in. It appears the updating the drivers did not fix the issue for me.

What is troubling is that both myself and my friend tried to open a bug report ingame and through the support web site. We both entered all pertinent/required information but the ‘submit’ button was grayed out. I finally was able to open a ticket using the category ‘problem with quest’. But the ticket path for technical or bug issues repeatedly failed with no option to submit a ticket. I like to give the benefit of the doubt to Blizzard, and attribute this to my own (and my friend’s) issues with the ticketing interface. But I can’t help but wonder if the queues were closed on the backend to stave off a possible huge influx of tickets for bug reports and technical issues.

Update for 1/28/2020-I have opened a crash ticket with Blizzard and trying to work with their suggestions.

I ran Motherlode 11+ last night in a guild group. We weren’t going for speed and didn’t care about completing on time. At about the hour and thirty mark, I started having the lock up symptoms. I immediately killed wow.exe in Task Manager and logged back in to finish the run. I have done a complete reinstall of my UI, reseated my video card and memory, supplied them with an MSinfo and DXDiag file, windows error log and an MRT file. They want me to uninstall/reinstall the game next but I am putting that off as it will probably take most of the day to get it done. One of the CS reps who responded to one of the portions of the ticket said it sounded like a de-synchronization between the world/home servers. But there still isn’t anything concrete at this time as to why this is happening.

Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket 1781337956925048994, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Wow.exe
P2: 8.3.0.33115
P3: 5e274c09
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 10.0.18362.418
P6: 99ca0526
P7: c0000005
P8: 00000000000072a6
P9:
P10:

+++ WER1 +++:
Fault bucket 2291428515941233756, type 5
Event Name: FaultTolerantHeap

Problem signature:
P3: 5E274C09
P4: ffffbaad
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER2 +++:

Problem signature:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER3 +++:

Problem signature:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER4 +++:
Fault bucket 1831188807429795166, type 4

Problem signature:
P1: NVDisplay.Container.exe
P2: 1.15.2586.5913
P3: 5c75252f
P4: AppXDeploymentClient.dll
P5: 10.0.18362.449
P6: 92358de5
P8: 00000000000134ad
P9:
P10:

+++ WER5 +++:

Problem signature:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER6 +++:
Fault bucket 2291428515941233756, type 5
Event Name: FaultTolerantHeap

Problem signature:
P3: 5E274C09
P4: ffffbaad
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER7 +++:
Fault bucket 1904627218601938201, type 4

Problem signature:
P4: StackHash_fa8c
P7: c0000374
P8: PCH_08_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009CC14
P9:
P10:

+++ WER8 +++:
Fault bucket 1397232417013880416, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1

Problem signature:
P4: a545
P5: 67246080
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

+++ WER9 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangB1

Problem signature:
P4: a545
P5: 67246080
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

I have pretty much done everything in this tread and still see this issue. I am having a difficult time understanding how after patch 8.3 it has become a video card driver issue and not a WoW issue.

11 Likes

For those that have these issues and a Nvidia graphics card, I got mine playable with previous setting and add-on’s by opening the Geforce Experience app and under the home tab selecting the wow game icon and removing the optimize option. While still not perfect in busy areas due to lag it isn’t crashing or freezing now. Makes sense if it is continuing to try to override the graphic settings . Hope it helps!

1 Like

Hi, I’m an addon developer and I recently had one of my users complains that every minute or so, the game would lag badly and even experience lockups or stuttering, but the issues would go away if they turned off my addon. So I did some troubleshooting and with their help, we were able to pinpoint something in particular:

The game would only lag or lockup while the unitframes’ 3D Portrait feature was turned on. He also confirmed that if he disabled my addon and used any other unitframes and turned on 3D Portraits, the issue would come back.

Maybe it could be related, at least for some people?

2 Likes

my laptop is crashing as well. if i switch it to use the built in graphics instead of the nvidia, is that supposed to fix it?

RTX 2080 here, was also running into the periodic stuttering and it was awful, seems like the blue post fixed it however so the large blue post that was posted appears as if it is the actual solution. I’ll update if I do get any further stutters. Thank you so much Darkuloth!!! ^-^

Update: Blue post did help some but seemed to just lesson the periodic stuttering, not as often as it was before but still existing.

Update 2: Did some timing and it happens about every 2 minutes now periodically on the dot, timed it 3 times and happened every time.