8.3 FPS Drop and Freezing

Creating a thread as per the blue post from 8.3 Freezing (Windows OS Thread) - #236 by Zuvykree

1. What is your exact issue in-game issue that you are noticing? You can press “Ctrl+R” to see your FPS in-game or place the mouse over the menu button to additionally see your latency.

FPS is Solid then drops rapidly causing wow and the whole PC to stop responding and forcing a shut down.

1. Have you tried Dx11Legacy rendering and does the issue continue with no addons installed?

Dx11Legacy AND Debug Mode on Nvidia Control Panel Fix the issue. Any combination of Dx11, Dx12, and debug mode do not fix the issue. The issue persists with and without addons.

1. Are you running any applications that draw an overlay on top of the game screen?

There are no applications that have an overlay enabled.

1. What troubleshooting have you already completed? Please try to provide exact steps.

I followed the exact steps outlined Here 8.3 Freezing (Windows OS Thread) - #175 by Drakuloth

1. Most importantly please post up your Dxdiag for us to review. Copy the dxdiag contents into your reply, highlight the text then select the code block icon </>. This action will help us review the information faster.

DxDiag in pastebin link due to character post limitations. remove the spaces as i cannot post links apparently.

https:// pastebin. com/ 9Sq5YNHq

3 Likes

Was working great when I went to Legacy. Then today I am getting my whole computer shutting down and restarting. None of this happen before or even the hours before the patch. Now I simply can not play period.
What is going on?

Hi Wisconsen

Can you run a HWMonitor for us
Download HWMonitor here:

Free download is along the left side of page - called “Setup - English”

Open it on desktop - go play for a few minutes fight some mobs then tab out. Take a screenshot of the tool. Scroll down on tool to get the rest of the outputs then take another screenshot.

Upload those to Imgur or a similar site. I use http://postimages.org/

(Remove the beginning of the URL link to post on the forum - the http portion may work - or paste the link in chatbox then highlight it - click the preformatted text button along top of chat box - looks like this </>)

The preformatted option should produce something like this example:

http://postimages.org/xxxxxxxxxx

2 Likes

I was getting this too, then I followed Tratt’s suggestion. Discovered my CPU fan is dying (36 rpm). Not saying the same thing is happening to your machine, but it gives you idea what is going on.

HWMonitor is a real nice tool. Gives us a good picture of what is happening hardware side while the game is running.

I tried to run that as was mentioned in the previous thread, the problem is without being in debugmode and dx11 legacy my computer forces a restart and the data is lost. Would you like it with dx11 legacy and debugmode on?

Physically, have you cracked open your computer case and see if there is any dust buildup anywhere?

Yet everything worked fine the night before the patch…
Really?

2 Likes

What harm is there checking? Trying to rule out stuff…

Fair enough friend

1 Like

Go ahead and turn the debug mode off for now Wisconsen. DX11 Legacy won’t make any difference

1 Like

Here is the requested HWM From Heroic N’Zoth prog tonight. It’s about 20mins worth. As a update to the OP i was mistaken, debug mode was not on, only DX11 Legacy. Though i did try dx11 and dx12 with debug mode on and the issue was persisting.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/ulhcvofw/

Everything looks proper on the HWMonitor. Part of the troubleshooting on the main thread you referenced was a full UI reset with addon managers uninstalled. Was that done?

If not let’s try that as a test. You can return your addons and settings afterwards if it doesn’t help.

As I mentioned this is a test. If it doesn’t help simply remove the OLD from your original folders then delete the new folders the game installed. This will return your original settings

1 Like

yes i followed the process of that exact support article and the fps drops and freezing was still happening in the same manner.

The Windows error reporting is showing some odd errors. We might run a system file check here:

Type cmd in the Windows search box. Right click on Command Prompt that appears - select “Run as Administrator”

At the Command Prompt cursor type or paste: (after pasting click enter key to start things)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth (takes a minute - then at C prompt run)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth (this and the next command can take awhile)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

*While running DISM using the /RestoreHealth or /ScanHealth, you could notice the process may seem stuck at 20% or 40%, normal behavior. After a few minutes the scan will finish. When the bar reaches 100% it may seem to stall give it some time.

Next run the System File Check command. It will take 10 minutes or so.

sfc /scannow (space between sfc and /scannow)

If sfc /scannow finds errors the tool will attempt to repair them. It will print that out. If it prints successful repairs - great. If it prints “could not repair all” - run it again.

Note - If you are typing the commands there is a space before each slash symbol - /

If it finds errors then prints that it repaired them run it again - you want to see the “All Clear” message.

1 Like

Bruffo

I think you may be pushing your luck here. If you don’t want to try troubleshoot your issues your comments aren’t helpful.

1 Like

You have had some threads locked and removed today. It seems you aren’t getting the message that this forum is a help forum.

I’ve been helping out on here since it came into existence many moons ago. I don’t work for Blizzard - I don’t even live in the USA. Simply like tech puzzles and helping folk out.

I told you on other threads - if you want some assistance let’s get at it. This back and forth isn’t fixing anything.

Posted this in one of the other threads, figured since this was popular I’d repost here too.

Do you guys run Logitech Gamehub (or Logitech G series software) by chance? I had a buddy running Windows 10 1909, i7 4790k, 24 gigs of ram and a gtx 1080 he was getting weird frame hitching only in WoW but his OBS when he was streaming would still be fine. Had him shutdown gamehub after saving his settings to his mouse and his WoW stopped hitching entirely.

I have a feeling its tapping the DirectX API in a weird way to try and do the whole “Color coordinate your lighting to your game” even if you’re not using that feature actively and as a result its killing FPS in game on systems that otherwise seem fine.

Most people report that turning Graphics API version to DirectX 11 Legacy makes the game playable but frames suck so its probably logitech eating up more available threads since DX11 Legacy mode is a single thread instead of trying to stream multiple at once. At least that’s my guess.

1 Like

There’s help and then there’s the redundant “generic” customer service that a lot of us have come to despise. There are many persons who are experiencing sudden issues with just the patch and beyond and suddenly; to suggest all kinds of strategies to open up the computer to running all kinds of tests outside of the ones designed to assist blizzard figure out what the conflict might be is indeed, a waste of time.

Anyway let’s hope that Blizzard figures out what’s going on soon :slight_smile:

6 Likes

BTW so far, by disabling my NVIDIA shadowplay and going to direct x 11 legacy has at least stopped the issue from continuing so far.

It’s all blind speculation but at least I can stay in the game and not reboot my computer every 15-20 minutes so hopefully they figure it out :slight_smile:

Edit : not a single crash in 6+ hours now previous to doing the above though didn’t re-enable either to dx12 or my shadowplay will do that in a bit…