82% Damage Difference from the bookends of PVP

In the Preach interview, Ion said that 1 gear level is 1% power for heals and damage. Let’s assume that’s true.

• A Duelist in 9.1 can get up to 259 ilvl, if what I’m reading is correct.
  • A fresh 60 is about 130ish, but I can’t prove that so let’s say the fresh 60 has starter PVP gear and so they’re 177.
  • 259-177=82

That’s an 82% damage difference if these two players meet up in a battleground. Can’t anything be done about this? Doesn’t anyone think this is a bad thing to leave in the game?

99 Likes

Lots of people think it’s a bad thing…

But then again, the people that are benefiting from it love the power difference

I personally think they should bring back templates, but that would make a lot of people unhappy.

25 Likes

Rating locking the gear was a mistake.

75 Likes

My friend quit yesterday because he was on his alt 218ilvl DH and my 202 ilvl priest and we were 1750mmr winning a good bit, but also getting rolled by people with 50k hp solely because their gear carried them.

They need to improve honor gear. and their ilvl jumps for rating are fine. but they need to be less… the devs have no idea what they are doing PvP wise.

17 Likes

Templates maybe, but I feel like they should do matchmaking based on iLvl. Low ilvl players with each other, higher ilvl players with each other, etc.

I’m sure there is an argument to be made that it would effect queue times, but for me personally, I do not care. As it stands now, the wait time is more entertaining than going into a non-rated BG only to spend most of my time in the graveyard. Somehow always die with 28 seconds on the spirit rezzer. Screw that noise.

I’d do normal BG’s more often, and wouldn’t have an issue with my perception of “lack of content” if the matches were more even.

7 Likes

Just so I’m clear

-bring back templates
-iLVL queue
-remove rating lock on gear
-be less

What else should be added?

12 Likes

It would be fine if the time it takes to get a full set of 229 starter pvp gear was much faster. Every bg should have you buying or upgrading 1-3 pieces of honor gear.

2 Likes

Why is there a rating lock on gear in the first place, when I can’t even get rating because my gear sucks?

32 Likes

So a new recruit is going to wait against a war hardened general and you want them to be equal? You got to put in work son.

3 Likes

Absolutely not.

That would destroy Q times, Standardize gear in unrated BGs , scale gear to the mmr you’re in for Rated BG’s.

I actually like the rating locks, better players should gave better gear that’s how MMO’s work. Standardize the gear while in instanced PvP but let there be power progression for everything else. hitting everything that wasn’t a player like a wet noodle in WoD was trash.

2 Likes

Ion was being somewhat deceptive

The power difference is a combination of things for pvp.

You have the raw gear difference which he claims is about 1% per ilvl.

You hav the entire borrowed power system which is easily 20-30% beyond all of that

And you have the burst abilities and raw survivability which GREATLY exacerbates a ‘mere’ 1% per ilvl difference

Ion is just a PR guy. He rarely tells the whole truth and he is never fully transparent.

17 Likes

Everyone should be the same ilvl in pvp. skill>Ilvl, not the other way around

11 Likes

I have no idea why people PvP when such is the case.
Well other than wanting to out ilvl their opponents when it’s their chance.

1 Like

PvP is a game of who’s on top of the food chain. If you are just ilevel 177 right now, good luck on you.

I honestly think they had PvP fixed in WoD.

14 Likes

I’ve been inspecting the profiles of everyone and i haven’t found anyone that does pvp outside of causal BGs.

Would be interesting to get the perspective from someone on the other side of the spectrum.

What I can tell from this so far is people are just tired of being farmed in battlegrounds when they want to just randomly que up for one every other week or so.

I think the question is if the work is worth the reward.

To many, that does not seem to be the case.

2 Likes

Ion doesn’t know jack about pvp lol

3 Likes

It is, but all you morons keep on forgetting to acknowledge that Ion brought that up specifically in a PvE/single-target scenario.

It’s almost certainly different for heavy AoE, 2-target cleave, and different types of PvP. But Ion wasn’t talking about heavy AoE, 2-target cleave, constant chain-pulling, or PvP.

3 Likes