8 Million Players

I thought it wasn’t sold in China until later?

WOW was launched globally in 2004.

nd the game token (the most brilliant decision i’ve seen in a game)

That idea started with EVE Online. Not the WOW team. EVE calls it PLEXX.

1 Like

Hyperspace- this is exactly President Trump’s argument,

well it’s brilliant.

1 Like

The community manager has already said that there is no “success” metric for Classic. They’re doing it as a passion project because players have requested it; they’re not doing it just for the sake of more profits.

2 Likes

You sure?

– For the Chinese version of WoW , Blizzard partnered with Shanghai-based company , who could better handle localization, support, and customer service. The9 launched the classic version of the game on June 7, 2005.

Could also have sworn

Vanilla* (Content time: 26, 24, 23 months )

• 2004-11-23 (November 23): North America, Australia and New Zealand.
  • 2005-01-18 (January 18): Korea
  • 2005-02-11 (February 11): Europe
3 Likes

The community manager has already said that there is no “success” metric for Classic. They’re doing it as a passion project because players have requested it; they’re not doing it just for the sake of more profits.

I agree and I saw that too.

The financial side, I imagine, would have been hashed out a lot earlier. Yes yes I know…but money is ALWAYS a factor in any project. It has to be.

Studmuffyn:

sigh

My point was that WOW is and was marketed internationally, the timing is a factor yes, but WOW was NEVER “just an American game for Americans” - it would not have survived otherwise.

I know what you meant, sigh, I was just clarifying when it actually released globally no biggie.

Good example is what Captain America doesn’t travel as well as say Harry Potter or LOTR movies.

here it is. this guy is having a great deal of fun (watch till the end, it just gets better and better haha) warning: language.

1 Like

Grats

You just justified your argument by posting a link on Youtube to an illegal server that pirates Blizzard IP.

1 Like

Lets do a little overly simplified math:

Since he used a range of what it cost to produce this hypothetical game I’ll use the higher figure for this example.

So this game cost $8 million to create

Retail Box cost is $50

So 8,000,000 / 50 = 160,000 retail box purchases.

So for this game to break even the company would need to sell 160,000 copies of this game. Which is not very much…and that doesn’t include the $15/month to continue playing it. SO assuming all 160,000 purchasers continue playing for a year:

15x12 = $180 per year in subscription costs, per player.
$180x160,000 = $28,800,000 per year in subscriptions alone.

so 160,000 people buying this game and paying for a subscription to play it for one year totals $36,800,000.

That’s not too bad for an $8 million initial investment.

edited for formatting issues

was the wrong one. i deleted that and posted the correct one. hes playing the wow classic demo from blizzcon :smiley:

Thank you.

If you actually believe a company that has stock, that is beholden to making profits for its shareholders, is doing this with no regard to money then I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.

1 Like

didya watch it? :sparkling_heart:

Yes I did.

Sorry I am in and out today…early morning and a lot to do.

did it not make you laugh and want classic to get here sooner? :rofl:

at least a portion of those subs are purchased with a game token which is 5dollars more than a normal sub price.
:smiley:

Hyper

Ill be honest, and I hope you respect me for that.

I wont be playing Classic. I will also go on record and say AGAIN (and this is the last time I will be this patient) that I was wrong on that matter.

There. I said it for the fourth time. Enough.

What time I do have will be in live for any number of reasons, so I hope others enjoy it anyway. This whole thread started with an assumption on player numbers,. and whilst I accept and agree with the enthusiasm etc, Il will say again that those numbers are unrealistic.

I was invited to play in 04. Mate sent me the discs as a gift. At the time it was literally not possible. I dont “regret not playing then” either. I had far more important concerns.

Nostalgia for me isnt why I play, and personally I see no need to go backwards.

One last point, and I would like you to all remember this: the people on live you sneer at, the game as it is that you say you despise…just remember that the money used to make your Classic came from there.

So, and this is on the “community” issue: might I suggest that the best way to make Classic work is not to alienate the very same people you’d like to see PLAYING classic?