8.2 Mount Equipment and Water Strider

The least they could have done was make every mount have it’s own equipment slot instead of all sharing one… or literally nothing at all would have been better.

What a garbage change prompted by nothing.

26 Likes

I agree. This would have been a FAR better option than the current plan.

Another option that would have been good? Mount transmog. Keep all mount functionality the way it is, and provide a transmog mechanism.

4 Likes

The Strider Folk are hitting the Bargaining stage of the Kubler-Ross Grief Model, it seems.

Still looking forward to not seeing this ugly thing around much anymore.

3 Likes

When the next expansion comes around the mount equipment will be locked just like flying. We will get mount equipment in 9.2 and flying in 9.3. And I will be the first to say I told you so. Blizzard is making us wait damn near a year for flight now, what’s another 6 or 7 months.

13 Likes

So because it offends your sensibilities, it should be gotten rid of?

How about they eliminate Blood Elves from the game because some players don’t like looking at them?

mmmph! :frowning:

22 Likes

Well, it isn’t the fact that the mount is ugly or not, it is the fact that:

• Blizzard added that mount in MoP to do exactly what it is meant for: To walk on water while mounted, and not have the DK or Shaman or any other water walking ability on.
  • The mount was obtain at level 90, yet, gotta be level 100 and exalted with those fishing Pandas (can’t think of the name for the faction) in order to get the free mount equipment
  • To get it on low level alts, guess what, gotta spend gold. And if you have so many alts, that gold is not going to be friendly.

I don’t think he meant it like that. I do agree with a lot of people though, it is the most used mount, due to it being the only water walking mount. But Blizzard likes to remove the passive water walking instead of adding more and nice unique mounts that can walk on water.

8 Likes

That name will be applicable to any mount, really.

2 Likes

No, it’s not the reason. Just a nice side bonus. :sunglasses:

Yes they did, and it was a nice 7-year run. But like many things in a 15-year-old oft-expanded game, things change.

The mount was obtain at level 90, yet, gotta be level 100 and exalted with those fishing Pandas (can’t think of the name for the faction) in order to get the free mount equipment

I see nothing wrong with that.

To get it on low level alts, guess what, gotta spend gold. And if you have so many alts, that gold is not going to be friendly.

It was said at one point that if you unlocked either the MoP strider or the Draenor one, all of your alts would get a one-time freebie in the mail. I do not know if that is still current, and I don’t login to the PTR much these days to see.

So, you’re happy with a nerf to a mount for something that brings in nothing to the game then?

Obtaining the Azure Water Strider at level 90. MoP was maxed at level 90. Not level 100.

Only the alts above level 100. What about those alts that are level 20-99?

11 Likes
  1. It brings a customizable mount system, and retires what has been a cheap crutch that should have been expired when WoD launched, honestly.

2. So if a new player hits level 90 the day that 8.2 launches, they’ll now have to wait another 10 levels to unlock the new system, instead of going right out to the Anglers and grinding it for 3 weeks? Is that the issue? Seems like an edge case hardly worth worrying about.

3. As I said, at one point it was all, i.e. literally, like how the Safari Hat used to work before it was added to the toybox. I do not know the current status of that. If it doesn’t happen…there are no zones in Azeroth sub-60s need water-walking. It may be nice to traverse the big lake in Swamp of Sorrows, but it’s not necessary. Same with Northrend, Outlands, and so on, and at 60-99, most everyone will be flying anyways.

2 Likes

If you had a problem with the water strider, there was nothing there stopping you from not using it. And it is not bring any customisation to our mounts.

I’ll put it this way, I used to main a Warlock, until a couple of weeks ago where now I main a shaman. But on my Warlock, had to keep buying that anti-daze thingy from the AH, which leatherworkers can make, and to get across the water, using my Water strider. Now, with the way things are coming, it is going to be possible:

• Blizzard removes that recipe from leatherworkers to encourage everyone to use the Mount Equipment
  • And a good chance of more class pruning, including the removal of DK’s/Shamanns Water Walking abilities.

Now, if things like this does happen, it is going to throw more players off from the game as it is removing choices. Yes, the one good thing about the Water Walking thing in Mount Equipment is giving more people the option to chose from more mounts to walk across water. But Blizzard could’ve also done:

• Added more and new unique Water Walking Mounts
  • Change all the mounts that hover above the ground to also hover on top of the water as well.
  • Left the Water Striders alone.

Dude, once you got the rep and the mount on 1 character, don’t have to do it on every other. Plus, if was obtained at level 90 at first, then should’ve been free from level 90.

Durotar, Thousand Needs, Swamp of Sorrows, Wetlands, Darkshore…

Yeah, there is plenty of zones in Classic areas where Water Walking is quite useful.

EDIT: I’ll put it the short way: I worked hard to earn my Water Strider just so I can mount on water, my hard work to earn it shouldn’t get taken away for something that ruins the purpose of what the mount was original added for.

26 Likes

Allowing us to apply equipment by the mount, or creating mount transmog would have been a better option, IMO.

What about Death Knights’ and Shamans’ water walking abilities? Are those “cheap crutches” too? Should they be retired as well?

Blizzard created the water strider mounts to walk on water. Some of us did the work to earn them. Now that ability is getting taken away. And we’re not happy. Since Blizzard seems to be oblivious to our feedback, maybe they want us to go away? I’ve been a small business owner for years, and I never treat my customers that way.

18 Likes

A nice perk, but not necessary. (1000 Needles is almost all water, but a few quests in, you get a boat, IIRC). If you think leveling in these zones without WW will be some sort of challenge, then that is a level of mollycoddling that I am glad to see retire.

You also had to do a bunch of quests and content for the MoP cloak, now retired.

Lots of work for the WoD ring, too. And Legion artifact-powering-up.

Adapt, or move on.

Sorry man, but I find your post very upsetting. Not everyone enjoys things being removed from the game or have there hard work being put to waste.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion about stuff like this, and all you do is tell everyone is “adapt, or move on.” You’re obviously one person who has no clue on what earning something for a soul purpose is just for it to be taken away from you.

So much already has been taken away from this game, and all you want is more to be taken away.

19 Likes

I am adapting. I’m only playing this DK from now on. Once the inevitable water walking prune comes for DK’s and Shamans? I’m out – or “moving on,” as you say.

Why? Because I don’t want to support a company that treats their customers this way. The devs at Blizzard created the water walking mounts to walk on water. Now they’ve decided they don’t like it, so they’re stripping the ability away, and replacing it with something drastically inferior. Not very good customer PR in my book.

And it could be so simple, as has been stated many times in many different threads (by many different posters): Leave the water strider’s ability alone, and exempt them from using any other equipment. Done. Happy customers all around.

16 Likes

No, but I do smell a strawman and an appeal to ridicule.

Something else too. Something bovine and excretory.

11 Likes

I have played on this account since late Cata.

1. Old skill trees gone
  2. MoP cloak
  3. Black Harvest warlock title (got this, thankfully)
  4. WoD ring
  5. Challenge mode perks
  6. Mage Tower (sadly, did not get a single one :frowning: )
  7. Ahead of the Curve rewards

We’ve been playing a game for years where retirement and renewal is a thing.

Let’s not be ridiculous, here. If anything, DKs and Shamans will have their innate WW abilities solidified by this change, not imperiled. Letting everyone cheaply & easily WW for the last 7 years has been cutting into your unique class abilities, much the same as Super-Derp-Portals-Everywhere was undercutting what mages (and to a lesser extent engineers, and now Dark Irons) could do.

IMO, this is part of the devs’ intent behind the changes.

• “You really want to water-walk everywhere with ease? Well, DK and Shaman classes are waiting for you”
  • “Ease of travel across continents? Roll a mage.”

We’re bringing back a bit of exclusivity to some classes, not prepping for pruning.

Leave the water strider’s ability alone, and exempt them from using any other equipment. Done. Happy customers all around.

That would render the new WW shoes irrelevant, as everyone would just stick to the strider.

Ok. Which is it, then? “Pruning happens, get used to it”? Or, “Nah – it’ll never happen”?

If I were a betting man, I’d put money on the prune.

11 Likes

Well, if you don’t want to use the strider, then don’t use it. Just because some of us are unhappy with the changes about Mount Equipment, doesn’t mean it is going to effect your game play.

8 Likes

I earned it. I should be able to keep using it as it was designed.

17 Likes