8.2.5 Discussions (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Get hyped for ghost Grom yelling “THE SHADOWLANDS ARE FREE!”

1 Like

Brutal but accurate.

Though, to be fair, people seemed to wildly prefer the last expansion where they used a plot device to bring back an old lore character and coast on nostalgia (aside from Suramar) as opposed to this expansion where they tried to write something new and people recoiled in horror from it.

Dude, I can’t wait to catch up with Garrosh, I hope they have a sweet redemption arc for him.

Remember when Varian died? Remember how we all said he wasn’t going away for good?

Still, that was a cool six seconds where his death had any emotional weight.

Hey if we get an afterlife expansion and we still don’t have wisps as a playable race I will feel ripped off

I’d actually love it if it was explained that Night Elves becoming wisps because of their connection to Cenarius was actually weakening Elune because, unlike the other ‘Gods’ of the setting, being Bwonsamdi, Eyir and other ‘Death’ Gods, she wasn’t getting her fair share of souls and thus was being starved of power, hence why Elune did nothing (or could do nothing) to save the Night Elves during the War of Blood and why she was willing to allow the Night Warrior ritual to work this time, because she’s desperate enough to give Tyrande that power to harvest souls for her so she can defend the last remaining members of the Kaldorei species.

A huge big “Wait, what?” moment for the Night Elves that maybe the Wild Gods are not actually on their side and were just using them the whole time would be a huge cultural and religious upset to the Kaldorei and also give some valid in-game/in-universe reason for why their everything has sucked for the past ten thousand years …

5 Likes

I’d actually love it if Blizzard thought about this stuff half as much as you do in your spare time.

5 Likes

I’ve got a few quibbles with this idea, but I think the big thing is: If this is revealed, then I cannot imagine any scenario where either the night elf fans or NPCs would accept anything less than slaying every Horde involved in the War of Thorns (and some more for good measure) to use their souls to repower Elune - both for revenge/recompense and for defense.

And whoo boy, that’d make for some interesting fights in Ashenvale.
Orcs: “We need your lumber to fuel our civilization.”
vs.
Elves: “We need your souls to power our benevolent goddess.”

2 Likes

We already did MoP though.

2 Likes

Bolded the interesting part.

It’d be fascinating to see that go down, if only to see the Night Elves go back towards their ‘feral’ starting point and how badly that would go down with the rest of the Alliance and the whole ‘using souls for power’ angle.

That said, it would also be fascinating to see the cracks start to emerge in-between the Alliance races as all these different religious and political view-points suddenly find themselves without an overwhelming threat.

The Horde defeated and refusing to do anything but fight defensively to hold what they’ve claimed.

The Old Gods all sealed up for the first time in millenia.

The lands the Alliance do hold are riddled with drought, plague and civil unrest.

An expansion where the Alliance start to menace Azeroth and find themselves asking why they haven’t done this before, why they’ve just sat back and taken it for so many years when they are finally the ones with the strength to ‘make things right’ would be amazing to experience, especially if there’s a lot more in-game “Wait, this isn’t quite right…” aspects for the Players to explore and small ways for them to, at least in dialogue or optional quest steps, fight against the slide into corruption.

1 Like

“The night elves have found out every single god they had faith in never cared about them, and allowed their genocide in their apathy; they now have no faith, no hope, no reason to carry forward, and have lost everyone and everything their people have ever cared about.” is not… a compelling story hook nor a particularly obvious way to advance their story or the story of WoW as a whole

like call me a nasty naive child but sending the message that things can and will only ever get worse is breathtakingly cynical

2 Likes

Consider the setting, and how badly things have been going, cynical is perhaps the best we can hope for.

But rather, that Cenarius manipulated Malfurion and the Night Elves through druidism to starve Elune of power, to redirect that power to the Wild Gods, that all that’s happened has been because of a divine power-play and that they were abandoned when no longer useful would be crushing.

To have Malfurion, Tyrande and the other Night Elven leaders then stand up and go “No, screw you.” and start to use what they’ve learned to take control back, to force nature to serve and support them, to draw on the arcane to rebuild their homes and ward their people, to shatter whatever barrier between them and Elune, that kept their beloved Goddess from truly reaching down to her children, and to make the world shake from their rage and fury at being betrayed by the beings they have fought tooth and nail to defend for ten thousand years would be an epic reboot of their racial story.

1 Like

Good point. When was the last time they wrote an original expansion? WoD I guess? That didn’t end too well. Although it was also about reviving dead lore characters. Maybe MoP is the last truly original expansion.

1 Like

Alternative universes are hardly original.

Yeah, I can’t see what the point of such a thing would be except to rub in Night Elves’ players faces that they don’t matter.

Which, I gather, is precisely the idea.

2 Likes

Hahaha remember when they doubled down on making night elves irrelevant by making “I Used to Love Them” the name of the achievement for watching Tyrande make a big fool of herself to prop up the military expertise of a guy who was a hundredth of a percent of her age?

6 Likes

i dont think thats gentarns intent, and i can definitely see the appeal of a people turning on the gods that failed and betrayed them and taking their divine might for their own

the primary issue lies in that a cultural shift of that level is something thats never been done in WoW, and i wouldnt trust the most well meaning author to do such a thing well, let alone danuser and his band of sylvia fanboys

1 Like

As bad as that was, at least they were trying to show reasons why Varian was worthy to be High King.

Those reasons were just lazily written attempts to make one character better at the expense of another more established one, but still:

At least he had those reasons, as opposed to Anduin who has no justification at all for getting his position.

I thought the new expansion expansion opening with Night Elves aggressively powering up Elune sounds interesting. I also see a Team Savage Kaldorei signature on MMO-C.

1 Like

Oh my god, I’ve been whining about that scenario for years and NEVER NOTICED THE ACHIEVEMENT. :scream:

2 Likes