8.2.5 Discussions (Spoilers Ahoy!)

It was just…peak Blizzard. Not only is the writing going to be godawful, they preemptively give you the finger for criticizing it.

2 Likes

Usually, Blizzard’s very good with their meme game but that one was viciously on-the-nose.

On the one hand, it did point out that big flaming sign that Tyrande had really only held onto power because she was the only real political figure with religious backing amongst her people and really wasn’t all that skilled at warfare and tactics (hence Shandris and Maiev) but on the other hand, having her then follow Varian’s lead despite her long-established headstrong ‘Screw you Elune is with me!’ strategy involving hated enemies rankled immensely.

I can understand why Varian wasn’t willing to go paint the walls with Orc blood, you’re trying to prove to the natives you’re nothing like the opposing side and desecrating a holy site just because you want to win is going to do the exact opposite of that, but the way it was put into the game was very … off. Having Tyrande grumbling about the Pandaren’s ‘pacifism’ and wanting to draw the Orcs out with a feigned frontal assault, while Varian insisting that they use the bloodlust that Garrosh’s hand-picked troops were infamous for and drawing the Horde out into a killing field outside the temple instead would have been much, much better.

3 Likes

I continue to be infuriated by how quickly you come up with better ideas than Blizzard, Gen.

3 Likes

Oh my God I did not know this.

1 Like

Because he’s an actual writer, not schmucks posing as writers.

2 Likes

Where did we get this theory about the Night Elves aggressively doing something? Or is it conjecture?

I would argue that it has been done before. Not the cultural shift, but the whole concept of making the Night Elves (and the Alliance on the whole) the victims, yet again.

You can paint it however you want, but at this point, further suffering heaped upon them as a replacement for actual development isn’t cynical, it’s just lazy, pointless and, above all else, boring.

Looks like it’s based on a leak from a month and a half ago has “Tyrande defies the Alliance and attacks the Horde.” for an 8.2.5 plot point.

And blood elves have changed dramatically. They were vicious in BC, now they clutch their pearls and talk about the light.

2 Likes

Eh. I’d believe it after I saw it.

Even then, I probably wouldn’t, considering when the Horde attacks the Alliance, they destroy entire nations, and when the Alliance attacks the Horde, they knock over a tent or put the milk back in the fridge without putting the cap back on.

Honestly, the Horde and Alliance have basically switched roles at this point. The Horde is full of ancient, established races that control most of the world and the Alliance is full of desperate refugees struggling to survive. The Horde might as well take the part about squealing over the Light, too.

3 Likes

It always seemed to me that blood elf moralizing was entirely rhetoric on their part. Blood elves in BC whinged that the people they were trying to kill don’t immediately trust them, Liadrin basically lies to Thalyssra to get her to join the Horde, Lor’themar tells Alleria she has no right to the Sunwell even though she’s from Quel’thalas…

That kind of thing would give some much-needed difference between what a character says and what they actually think. Which is probably why they meant it entirely straight.

1 Like

The leak also has customizable player housing so I’m putting it at 100% fake.

I was hoping the Horde would get San’layn to recapture the glory days of BC blood elves, but now that you mention it they probably fit in better with the Alliance. Just a few boatloads of refugees from Northrend to fight with all the other refugees for a place to sleep in Stormwind park.

1 Like

“… and then it turns out she wasn’t even doing wrong because all those ghosts are fighting the devil and stuff.”

“Woah dude…”

^ 2 baked high schoolers or Blizzard, idk

1 Like

I don’t want to be unduly harsh, but I feel like two baked high schoolers would at least make things more interesting by throwing in a leprechaun or a long monologue about how anime changed their life.

1 Like

Blizzard hates WC3.

Or at least thats the impression they give since lately they’ve done everything possible to undermine it.

9 Likes

Is Arthas is still alive?

OlderManInRedShirtWithHisHandsUpLikeMAYBEMAYBENOTStockPhoto.jpg

Also,

Did you change your clothes?

I dunno if anything they seem to be trying to refer to it a lot, despite the fact that most of Warcraft 3’s main plotlines are already resolved.

They’re even remaking it this year sometime. Soon :tm:

There’s just one totally delusional guy with lots of control over the story who thinks WC1&2 were the pinnacle of storytelling even though nobody really likes those games at all

2 Likes

Yeahhh engineer mode, saw Shoni’s Disarming tool was moggable and changed it up for Mechagon. Now I just need to go there and actually finish the last part of pathfinder.

1 Like

Warcraft 2 was okay :stuck_out_tongue: I like updated lore though

Warcraft 2 was a fine game for 1995. It’s now 2019.

3 Likes