8.2.5 Discussions (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Lightforged rogues are obviously absurd and would entirely break the lore if they were permitted.

Now, Lightforged shadow priests hurling void bolts as they surrender their minds to madness? THAT’S quality lore!

6 Likes

I don’t know, I give them a pass on hero classes and Druids. But on the whole I mostly agree.

Anyone remember when Draenei ever turning to Fel was considered Lore Shattering?

10 minutes of brainstorming could justify literally any race/class combo.

1 Like

With Legion you can justify DKs of any race by saying they were recently raised (wanna be all lore friendly have new race combos skip the DK starter and just start at 58)

It also wouldn’t take a literary genius to say the Illidari are making new DHs

9 Likes

There doesn’t even need to be some extensive lore explanation either. They should just frigging do it.

3 Likes

Rigid class archetypes themselves are an example of archaic game design IMO.

2 Likes

I absolutely hate them. I push back against them every chance I get.

“Well tauren can’t be mages because they hate the smell of magic–”

No. Shut up. No. That isn’t even a thing. Let tauren be mages.

“Well draenei can’t be warlocks because they’re universally good with no outliers–”

NO. NO. SHUT UP. THERE ARE OUTLIERS. THERE WAS A PLANET FULL OF OUTLIERS. LET THEM BE WARLOCKS.

“Well blood elves can’t be druids–” “Well Pandaren can’t–” “Actually gnomes wouldn’t–”

NO. LET THEM. Limiting the living daylights out of everything does not foster creativity or interest, it suffocates them.

4 Likes

Competing MMOs haven’t done away with classes, but FF14 lets you switch between them on one character and ESO lets you kind of build around a core class with universally available points and abilities. I think both of those are superior systems.

WoW can’t do away with classes without basically replacing its entire game engine, but they could at least get over this obsession with racial restrictions.

2 Likes

You know what I love about Guild Wars 2, for instance? Anybody can be anything and there is no bizarre straining and backflipping of story to explain why an Asura is swinging a greatsword, or why a Charr is raising eldritch horrors to do battle. You just have them and it’s great and everyone is having a blast with it.

Guild Wars 2 also annihilates WoWs story. Like it’s not even a contest.

( they also manage to make Humans interesting)

2 Likes

I forget, are the humans still technically nearing extinction? Only time I ever really took issue with GW2’s story was the whole bit with Scarlet Briar, but more often than not, it’s been pretty damn good :ok_hand:

Not that I remember. I mean the whole world kind on an edge cause of the Dragon stuff but I don’t think the Humans are risking Extinction.

I remember that being one of the opening lines if you pick one for your race. Thought it made them seem a tad bit cooler, personally.

So I was playing through Warcraft III on my laptop while on a trip and I’ve got to say… Mok’nathal would be a pretty sweet allied race. Could even use the already existing orc skeleton as is tradition for allied races.

And shifting gears onto the topic of character creation, I really just want Blizzard to split up customization options. I think it would allow more freedom of character design but remains within the possibilities of the engine.

What I mean by splitting it up is to stop locking features behind another, like eye color to face. They should have an overall option in creation, then when you select it you get the details you can select. If you want to customize face, you enter that button and it gives you eye color, lip color, facial structure, and whatever other options specific races might have like ears, tusk, or warpaint.

It would certainly give us more freedom and make it significantly easier to add new little options each time. Feel like giving blood elves purple eyes? Just add color and pop it in without having to design a whole face around it.

4 Likes

That would require them to make a new model around that skeleton, and then explain why they’ve never done so before despite Rexxar being everywhere since BC.

2 Likes

They could always cite Sylvanas’s night elf days. You know, the “there wasn’t a reason/time to do it until now” excuse.

The greatest challenge would be making a female ogre/orc hybrid without making it look weirdly round or trying to make it “pretty”.

A draenei that’s turned jaded and decides that the best way to defeat the Legion is to use their own magic and servants against them.

They already kinda did with Rexxar’s story. He was pretty much the only member of the Mok’nathal that joined the Horde, and it was firmly against his father’s wishes. His dad kinda hates the Horde.

So, naturally, we just moved on and had nothing else to do with them.

The real reason Teldrassil burned - so she didn’t have to remember her original model.

4 Likes

I had honestly forgotten that. I was real confused what her night elf days was referring to.

Me too until I saw Altielle’s post. I must admit, seeing Sylvanas as a nelf makes me slightly less tempted to play Classic.

Still will give it a go though!