8.1 Video corruption

I’m getting some odd video corruption. After portaling to Wyrmrest temple, I arrived to this:
Video Corruption -> https:// i.imgur .com/v6beWJh.jpg (remove the spaces)

My wife saw the same type of corruption on the character loading screen.

Both machines are late 2013 27" iMacs running 10.13.6 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

2 Likes

Same machine, same effect. A reloadui clears it but it does come up randomly. I have since gone into system and selected recommended for all settings in hopes of not having the issue again

1 Like

Thats a pretty good idea and I’ll give it a try.

• What settings are you using?
  • Try playing with antialiasing, water, shadows settings.
  • nVidia web driver or stock driver?

If you have not done it, read the patch notes for 8.1. You will need a mac that has the ability to run Metal. Blizz is dropping OpenGL on Mac and going to Metal. Windows users have to run DX12, but can still go down to DX11 for a while longer. Now for the irony, I run BFA on Linux, with Wine and the vkd3d DX12 to vulkan wrapper. I have not logged in since the patch 8.1 went live, but am about to do so, to see if I have any issues. Nice thing, you can get Wine for Macs also, so you would be running DX12 on top of Vulkan. Hope this helps.

No, system requirements have not changed from 8.0 to 8.1, and you cannot run DX12 via MoltenVK on macOS.

I’m having the same issue, noticed it on the character selection screen while scrolling between characters. Have been able to inconsistently recreate it. Believe it to be a race condition. Whoever has to fix this is probably gonna have a real great time. Link below of one of the instances.

Mac Pro Late 2013 (Mac OS 10.14)
Processor: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory: 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Video Corruption 8.1 on Mac

1 Like

It might be worth everyone nuking their config.wtf files to start.

I’ve tested on the same machine as OP (running Mojave) and cannot reproduce it.

That seems a bit drastic to me. I was using the ‘recommended’ settings with 8.0.1 and after a few hours, the issue hasn’t reoccured after applying fresh ‘recommended’ settings. Fingers crossed it is only a transitional issue.

Edit: never mind - I just had the same issue on the character selection screen after logging out.

If you delete it the game will create another one. Try it.

This is a known issue that blizzard has actually tried to work on but can’t quite reproduce it yet.

I came up with some new theories today and passed them on. If it continues to be a problem or you find a 100% sure way to reproduce please share it.

A race condition is where the outcome of something is determined by which thread gets to something first. If the wrong thread gets there first, bad crap happens, like expecting a value to be there but its null, etc… There’s no controlling which threads get scheduled first, so it’s effectively random.

Basically there’s going to be no guaranteed way to reproduce this bug, hence my original comment about the dev who has to debug this having a hell of a time. They’re notoriously difficult to fix because of their very nature.

1 Like

Same issue, started today after 8.1 launched. Brand new iMac with 10.13.6

I reported that bug weeks ago on the PTR.

I’ve seen this on a 2018 MBP (Radeon Pro 560X). All updates applied.

It’s easy to clear and only seems to happen at login (i.e., once I’m playing, it hasn’t popped up).

Update: Just happened again during M Ghuun prog, randomly mid fight. Lasted about 5-6 seconds. No loading screen obviously. Happened at transition (where the beam comes down). Not sure if that helps.

Had my graphics corrupt porting from Stormwind to Boralus.

/reloadui fixed it for me.

Encountered this a third time today while loading into Dalaran from the log in screen. It seems to go kinda haywire in one particular corner of Dalaran which I demonstrated a few times. The link to this video is below.

Second take of video corruption

It’s caused by full screen effects. did you happen to roll through stuff on ground really fast? The way I reproduced that bug is by heroic leaping or some other type of movement that does make you trigger the full screen effect, but so fast that it doesn’t fully trigger or cancel out. Causes the bugged full screen effect that gets stuck.

I’m not sure if loading screen issue is related or not because that’s not a full screen effect. Might be two diff bugs, or one bug that affects two diff graphic rendering systems.

I had this issue happen a few times. Most recently I was flying from Zuldazar to Vol’dun and on the way the graphics started to look exactly like OP’s picture.

I’ve also completely deleted WoW and reinstalled it and this still happens. The issue above I describe had no add ons installed at the time. It’s weird